Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        Game metrics in Quake III

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Game metrics in Quake III

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 02-09-2012 09:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I'm currently about to start my Bachelor Thesis in Human-Computer-Interaction. I want to collect game data from people playing and try to relate this data with psychological measurements.

Since I'm a Quake3 fan, the source code is free and I think the gameplay is still somewhat up to date I want to collect data from people playing Quake III Arena amongst others.

My question is: Is there any tool/script already, that fetches data or can someone who is familiar with the code help me out here?

Sadly my knowledge in C is very small but I think this shouldn't be too complicated since I just need an algorithm to fetch specific game data and save it into a .txt file, right?
Game data I would like to survey could be things like travel paths, points where players die, used weapons and so on...

I'm not sure about the presentation of the collected data yet, maybe I'll use XNA for that.

I would be very thankful for any help and of course you will be mentioned in the thesis! :sly:

Cheers from Germany
Ben

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 02-10-2012 01:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

> Sadly my knowledge in C is very small but I think this shouldn't be too complicated since I just need an algorithm to fetch specific game data and save it into a .txt file, right?

To a certain extent. It depends on what kind of data you want to collect.

Q3A is split into two parts, the engine and 'the game' (the SDK, what mods are made of). The latter is probably what you want to hack on because that's where most of the interesting stuff happens.

Re: writing files: trap_FS_FOpenFile() and trap_FS_Write() are your friends.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 02-13-2012 11:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thanks for the answer!

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-04-2012 05:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A list of events is in bg_public.h, at line 327. If you want to jump to the part of code that handles that event just search for that event, you can ignore all cg_ results because thats the client game module. There's also the weapons and powerups values just above the events.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.