Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        With better performance, what would you like to add to ioqua

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: With better performance, what would you like to add to ioqua

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 06-04-2012 07:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi,
We experimented with a programming technique that would lower CPU requirements. And, we used ioquake3 as our target application. We were successful.
And, now we would like implement something feasible that might take advantage of that enhanced performance.
Its for educational purposes mainly. But, if we can achieve something that others may benefit clearly from, we would love to present it that way as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions? (preferably other than graphics, because our server is headless)

For example(just an example),
The simplest example would be with more CPU power, you can have more players; thus more possibilities for more advanced and exciting Game-modes.

Another example,
With less CPU requirements, you can port the Game to be a mobile phone Game.

Big or small, ANY idea is welcomed! I am looking for people to brainstorm this with me!

Any help is appreciated!
Yasir

p.s. I posted this in the General Discussions forum, and got many good replies. But, the moderator kindly suggested that I post in the Programming forum. Sorry about the cross-forum posting :s
p.s. So confused about the title???

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 06-11-2012 11:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi, don't know right now what to say but i suppose is always better have an answer.

First of all, can sounds like a weird question but...can you quantify the high and less cpu power you mentioned? can be good also a commercial cpu example etc...

If i need to be honest, in every way, i will choose the high cpu, or better cpu way: i'm working on quake 3 source and everything i do and mod, of course, will ask more cpu power.

We need to calculate also the old "less powerfull cpu" of quake 3 arena times aren't more on store, i'm modding and testing my game on my "hardcore" pc and also a netbook EEE and on every platform the modded game works like a charm.

By other hand for your idea about "more players for maybe a new gamemode": it's a good idea but there's a lot of work to do in order to create also large maps.
The most nearby gamemode i'm able to think's something like a "capture and defend" but already exist

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 06-17-2012 08:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply.
I used an i7 Intel 2.9 GHz embedded laptop. What is your mod about btw?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.