Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        Media of what you're doing

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Media of what you're doing

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 11-27-2012 03:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^misantropia^ wrote:
inolen, how's the project coming along? I confess to being a teensy weensy intrigued.

Kaz, is https://github.com/freemancw/Q3Plan your project? I'm guessing yes.

Yessir :toothy:

edit: don't judge potentially crap code ;)

i like to program
i like to program
PostPosted: 11-27-2012 04:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^misantropia^ wrote:
inolen, how's the project coming along? I confess to being a teensy weensy intrigued.

Kaz, is https://github.com/freemancw/Q3Plan your project? I'm guessing yes.

You can take a peek of the latest at:

http://quakejs.com/

I'm right now working on scrambling things together to get a solid demo out. Positional audio was implemented last week, lots of cgame/game functionality is being ported rapidly (localents, weapons, etc.) and I've been solidifying the network layer and predicted movement / events.

While we're still on TCP/IP now, the network code for the most part is ported besides the actual endpoints sending the data / handling connections, in hopes of when the WebRTC DataChannel APIs land we can try out UDP (but to be honest, WebSockets haven't been terrible doing WAN tests on a Linode VPS).

I need to drum up a quick master server this week so the multiplayer is demoable and add some sort of remote control functionality to the server so it can be administered (it just launches and you pray for the best atm). The roadmap is kind of spastic - this is the largest thing I've ever ported.

As a quick braindump regarding its current state:

* clicking the canvas requests a mouse lock. However, if you're on Firefox you must be running fullscreen (alt + enter) for the mouse lock to take affect.

* ` brings up the UI where you can set key bindings (this code is relatively fragile, if it blows up it's not too unusual)

* machine gun, rocket launcher and railgun are the only implemented weapons

* if you're running in firefox, expect poor performance on Mac / Linux as the 64-bit FF's JS engine runs pretty bad in comparison to the 32-bit build distributed on WIndows.

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 11-27-2012 05:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:up: :up: :up:

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 11-30-2012 09:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

inolen wrote:
* if you're running in firefox, expect poor performance on Mac / Linux as the 64-bit FF's JS engine runs pretty bad in comparison to the 32-bit build distributed on WIndows.

Very awesome and performance isn't even that bad in FF 17 on x86_64 Linux. You rock.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 11-30-2012 09:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As a FYI, I showed it to the people in #node.js and they were very much impressed. But there was lots of clamoring for mouselook. :-)

i like to program
i like to program
PostPosted: 11-30-2012 11:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^misantropia^ wrote:
As a FYI, I showed it to the people in #node.js and they were very much impressed. But there was lots of clamoring for mouselook. :-)

Awesome :)

Unfortunately, the mouse lock notifications in Chrome that you have to click "Accept" on are really easy to dismiss as some other useless notification, unlike Firefox's which are really big and obvious.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-02-2012 06:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nowhere nearly as cool as inolen's stuff but here. It looks a bit different from how it did in my previous video.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-04-2012 05:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kaz wrote:
Eraser: doesn't Steam have similar functionality to IndieCity? why not use that?

Just noticed this comment :)

Steam is less open in allowing stuff on there and it costs money. Steam is now using the Greenlight system, where your put up videos and screenshots of your game and it basically competes for a place in the Steam store with other games. This means that a lot of other, far more popular titles will probably push my game away. Also, getting your game on Greenlight will cost you a one time $100 fee. It's cool that they give all this money away to the Child's Play charity, but it's an investment of a proportion that I'm not willing to make just yet.

IndieCity however, allows anyone to put up games for free and if they pass the community validation (which basically is as much as checking if there aren't any obvious technical faults with the game) they're made available for purchase and download. They're also more open in the revenue sharing model they use. Steam doesn't say anything about what percentage of the revenue take, while IndieCity simply states that they take 30% if the IndieCity SDK isn't implemented and 15% for games that do have the SDK implemented.

So the threshold of getting games available on IndieCity is far lower than Steam. I'm also going to have a look at Desura though. That might be another option. If anyone knows of any other platforms that allow me to distribute my game, then I'm interested.

i like to program
i like to program
PostPosted: 12-26-2012 02:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doing some local net tests:

Cobbling together a UI:

Things are really starting to come together :D

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 12-26-2012 05:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

now this looks very very neat =D

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 01-05-2013 02:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Forgot to post this here. Comes with an overview of what I'm doing at the beginning - note you should watch it in 720p for more legible text.

I'd like to actually turn this thing into something that can be included with Radiant and produce a demo map showing how to use it, but the amount of engineering it will take to get it where it needs to be makes that sort of questionable. (who knows, though... :))

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-06-2013 09:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For future reference, you should type all that into the video description, so people watching your video don't have to watch 8 minutes of you typing with 1 minute of actual demo. :offended:

Interesting concept, though I think you also need to keep in mind that real players often will use other devices like trick-jumps to move around a map far faster than a bot can.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-06-2013 10:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How come the bot takes 14 seconds to move towards the goal while simply walking along the plotted path should take no more than half that time?

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 01-06-2013 02:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
For future reference, you should type all that into the video description, so people watching your video don't have to watch 8 minutes of you typing with 1 minute of actual demo. :offended:

Sorry, that is pretty derpy...

obsidian wrote:
Interesting concept, though I think you also need to keep in mind that real players often will use other devices like trick-jumps to move around a map far faster than a bot can.

Eraser wrote:
How come the bot takes 14 seconds to move towards the goal while simply walking along the plotted path should take no more than half that time?

Maybe I should write something to explain this better. The idea is that if you let this process keep going and don't stop it when it finds the first path, then it will over time find faster and faster paths and reduce the time it takes to reach the goal (i.e. it will find those trick jumps that allow it to move to the goal like a player would). The bot isn't using the standard bot movement Q3 provides already, it's just randomly choosing how to move at each time step (you can come up with better strategies than this). I assume that I can find better paths than the standard Q3 planner, it's just a matter of running enough iterations. The reason it takes so long to find even that first path is because I'm running everything in real-time so that I can visualize what's going on. If I want to make this into an actual tool you need to run a dedicated server without a client, and try to make it produce new states as fast as it can. That should allow it to converge on fast paths in just a couple of minutes since it doesn't have to do any rendering.

This is a more illustrative video of what I'm talking about. This is a slightly different algorithm than what I'm using, but the idea and the results are the same. Watch how the red line converges to the shortest path over time. Imagine the same thing happening, only with a Q3 player inside a 3D level.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-06-2013 06:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So does this mean you will soon post a new record time for Quake Done Quick, one in which your computer does all the work?

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 01-06-2013 09:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
So does this mean you will soon post a new record time for Quake Done Quick, one in which your computer does all the work?

Hopefully :toothy:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-10-2013 04:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

heh, that silly little game of mine is done and released here:
http://store.indiecity.com/projects/twinstickshooter

So I'm moving my gaze back to EntityPlus plus now.

i like to program
i like to program
PostPosted: 03-25-2013 01:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Haven't done an update in a while, but http://www.quakejs.com is launched now.

Signing up now won't immediately give you access (we don't have the servers to handle a large influx of users) but if you'd like to try it out, sign up and swing by #quakejs on irc.quakenet.org and I'll get you sorted out.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-26-2013 01:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that, sir, is insane.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-06-2013 11:57 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

js roguelike. map and pathfinding tests.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-13-2013 01:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

actual dungeon building based on random chunks and blocked off paths.
also added gfx for eraser :p

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-13-2013 02:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Need some help with art assets? Here you go.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-13-2013 09:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thanks bro that helps a lot.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-13-2013 11:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Needs a normal map for next gen consoles...

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 09-18-2013 02:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-18-2013 11:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

3xistence wrote:

Nice. That font has a Quake Arena Arcade vibe to it. What map is that though?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-18-2013 11:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What is it though, other than a new UI for Q3?

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 09-20-2013 12:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes the font is the same of Quake Live Arcade, the map is LFFD (Looking for free doom: nice one for TDM matches or CA).
Nothing new, my goal's to merge all Q3A famous mods and puts cvars for everykind of stuff in order to let the final user create their own gameplay

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.