Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        Problem with player skin usage

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Problem with player skin usage

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 09-17-2012 10:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a question (problem) about player skin usage. I am trying to add PM style bright skins to Q3A. In a nutshell: I make copies of the default skin files (head.skin, etc.) and call them XXX_pm.skin (e.g. head_pm.skin) Edit the files so that the surfaces use a greyscale image (replace the reference to e.g. head.tga with head_pm.tga). The image is derived from the original (e.g. head.tga) by converting it to 24-bit greyscale in an image editor. I added code to the engine so that when a certain Cvar is set then the PM skins with added bright colors are used instead of the original.

The problem is that in some cases it works, in others, it does not. For example, it works for all the Openarena player models I have tried so far, but fails for some other models that I downloaded from ioquake3.org.

I traced the code and it seems that the correct skins and shader files are registered in the renderer (in the functions RE_RegisterSkin and R_FindShader). In spite of this, some models are displayed using the original (colored) skins/shaders.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Please, ignore my question. I have found a solution. Thanks.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.