Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        idtech 3 based game

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: idtech 3 based game

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 09-20-2012 11:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have an idea but im looking for some help from people with free time... I have access to SVN a Site and other stuff...

Im willing to disscuss more in a private message but i do not want verbose much in public.

please send a PM to me or reply to this thread and i will contact you via PM.

Also would like to know if there is any other forums or sites to find more people that may be interested?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 09-21-2012 06:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quite frankly, ideas are a plenty. Every single programmer, modder, level designer out there has an abundance of their own ideas with little time to implement them. If you want to attract attention towards your specific idea, you had better be able to show what you are capable of contributing to the project yourself, and exactly why your idea is any better than anyone else's. Just being the "ideas guy" while leaving the work to everyone else doesn't exactly make people want to work for you, so you'll have to show what you can do as well.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but you need to put in a LOT of work yourself and have something to show for it before anyone else will consider joining you on a project. People don't have lots of free time and game development is incredibly time consuming.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-15-2012 09:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There have been probably over 1000 of these threads since Q3W started....always some "ideas" guy who wanted everyone else to do the work for them.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-15-2012 10:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's not just Q3W or video games, I've seen it in many industries:

On various CG/3d modeling communities: "Hey guys, I have this great idea for a 3D film/million poly model..."
On Photoshop/photography communities: "Hey guys, I have this great idea for an illustration/photo shoot..."
On web developing communities: "Hey guys, I have this great idea for a web 2.0 social media site..."

They are almost always followed with something along the lines of "... I don't know much about *insert-field* but I have lots of great ideas that I won't tell you about... oh btw, I don't have much money so I won't be able to pay you, but it'll be fun because you must have no life and lots of free time to help realize my dreams!"

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-15-2012 10:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Exactly. They never have any clue how much work is involved, as long as someone else does it.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.