Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        New Weapon Explosion Shader

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: New Weapon Explosion Shader

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-02-2012 02:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi d00ds, I am currently working on adding some new weapons to Quake 3. I want to assign a new weapon, based on the RL, a different explosion shader, but I can't figure out how to get the shader to work. (I'm a bit new with Q3 programming :) ) Thanks in advance :D

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-02-2012 03:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Are you having problems with the shader script itself or having some kind of problem getting Q3 to work with your shader?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-02-2012 03:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This has nothing to do with the shader script. It puzzles me because I couldn't find an explosion shader for the RL or the GL. But, yes, I can't get the explosion to work with Q3. I haven't created an explosion shader since I could not find an explosion shader for the other weapons.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-02-2012 04:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks like they're in pak0.pk3/scripts/gfx.shader.

Code:
rocketExplosion
{
   cull disable
   {
      animmap 8 models/weaphits/rlboom/rlboom_1.tga  models/weaphits/rlboom/rlboom_2.tga models/weaphits/rlboom/rlboom_3.tga models/weaphits/rlboom/rlboom_4.tga models/weaphits/rlboom/rlboom_5.tga models/weaphits/rlboom/rlboom_6.tga models/weaphits/rlboom/rlboom_7.tga models/weaphits/rlboom/rlboom_8.tga
      rgbGen wave inversesawtooth 0 1 0 8
      blendfunc add
   }
   {
      animmap 8 models/weaphits/rlboom/rlboom_2.tga models/weaphits/rlboom/rlboom_3.tga models/weaphits/rlboom/rlboom_4.tga models/weaphits/rlboom/rlboom_5.tga models/weaphits/rlboom/rlboom_6.tga models/weaphits/rlboom/rlboom_7.tga models/weaphits/rlboom/rlboom_8.tga gfx/colors/black.tga
      rgbGen wave sawtooth 0 1 0 8
      blendfunc add
   }
}

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-03-2012 02:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Haha, WOW I'm blind. Thanks anyway :D

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-03-2012 09:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So you haven't coded it in either? It's declared in cg_local.h:
Code:
   qhandle_t   rocketExplosionShader;

cg_weapons.c::CG_RegisterWeapon gets the game to load the shader and other weapon projectile assets into memory during level loading:

Code:
case WP_ROCKET_LAUNCHER:
      weaponInfo->missileModel = trap_R_RegisterModel( "models/ammo/rocket/rocket.md3" );
      weaponInfo->missileSound = trap_S_RegisterSound( "sound/weapons/rocket/rockfly.wav", qfalse );
      weaponInfo->missileTrailFunc = CG_RocketTrail;
      weaponInfo->missileDlight = 200;
      weaponInfo->wiTrailTime = 2000;
      weaponInfo->trailRadius = 64;

MAKERGB( weaponInfo->missileDlightColor, 1, 0.75f, 0 );
      MAKERGB( weaponInfo->flashDlightColor, 1, 0.75f, 0 );

weaponInfo->flashSound[0] = trap_S_RegisterSound( "sound/weapons/rocket/rocklf1a.wav", qfalse );
      cgs.media.rocketExplosionShader = trap_R_RegisterShader( "rocketExplosion" );
      break;

cg_weapons.c::CG_MissileHitWall handles the effect
Code:
case WP_ROCKET_LAUNCHER:
      mod = cgs.media.dishFlashModel;
      shader = cgs.media.rocketExplosionShader;
      sfx = cgs.media.sfx_rockexp;
      mark = cgs.media.burnMarkShader;
      radius = 64;
      light = 300;
      isSprite = qtrue;
      duration = 1000;
      lightColor[0] = 1;
      lightColor[1] = 0.75;
      lightColor[2] = 0.0;
      if (cg_oldRocket.integer == 0) {
         // explosion sprite animation
         VectorMA( origin, 24, dir, sprOrg );
         VectorScale( dir, 64, sprVel );

CG_ParticleExplosion( "explode1", sprOrg, sprVel, 1400, 20, 30 );
      }
      break;

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.