Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        Floating stuff on q3a code plus tga vs png

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Floating stuff on q3a code plus tga vs png

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 03-20-2013 01:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi guys, ever me.
Watching the code i hit the piece about floating images on player head (the one about medals, friend shader etc....).
Are you able to think any way in order to add a name or a string, floating on a player head?
Isn't restricted to only team members, I just want to remove the drawcrosshair name and put a floating nickname on players models head.
any tips?

Also, placing in my pk3 (named pk9 in order to be the last one readed by the game) new stuff in png format (with the same name of tga inside of pak0.pk3) i still see the tga ones (so old ones) and not the new png images.
Sounds a little weird, doesn't the engine seek for last pk3 in order to get images etc...? can it be a problem if my images are png and not tga like specified in the shader scripts?

thank you

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-20-2013 11:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not sure at this point in time but you'll undoubtably need to create a variation of CG_PlayerFloatSprite() where the shader is the font glyph. CG_Text_Paint() shows how to get the glyph as it exports the text you want as a shader to CG_Text_PaintChar(). That should set you in the right direction. I'd recommend only drawing the overhead names when you're a spectator as it would otherwise be detrimental to the gameplay.

The table for the imageExtToLoaderMap_t struct in tr_image.c lists the loading priority given to the different extensions. If you want png to override tga then move it to the top of the list.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-21-2013 05:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Does Q3 natively support png? Or does ioQuake?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-21-2013 06:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ioQuake3 and Quake Live do. Quake 3 does not.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 03-22-2013 08:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no quake 3 arena doesn't support png, i'm using ioquake3 source code in order to get png and jpg support

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 03-22-2013 03:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mhmmm the tree order put png under jpg :tga, jpg, jpeg, png, bmp. I tried to put png at bottom and also on top, nothing change. Looks like it works only if i change the gfx.shader files from tga to png. all looks to works fine if i run my pak9.pk3 like an external mod and not inside the baseq3 dir

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.