Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        Shader Editor recover and update?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Shader Editor recover and update?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-20-2013 04:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The 'actual' version of Shader Editor is slightly outdated from the last q3map2 version as some new directives and keywords have been added in compiler in last years from the last SE version release. The question may be in the spirit of continuing in Shader Editor developing...

New version should be editable both in as mentioned in original SE and in a plain text, which can be editable both by typing the script commands and editing with context menu or menustrip. In both view cases, program should detect where the selection is located (in shader name, general dirs or stage) and will enable and access only those menu items which are related to the selection in both views or cursor position in text mode. Preview window must be introduced to see, how the shader suggests to look like. Also based on original Q3ASE tutorial the program would automaticaly add a lightmap stage and rgbGen identity keyword to every stage where it's missing unless user ticks a surfaceparm nolightmap in Surfaceparms dialog window...

I have made an image showing the template for the program window just as the Visual Studio SKD Forms source files to editing the windows visuals. Using VS C# project I'm wodering about how to separate status labels by a pipe just as in other programs with similar look. Also need to know how to implement external OPEN GL renderer libraries to the preview window. Using image container is temporary solution to keep the render space filled, using program's temporary icon...

I haven't worked with Visual Studio before (as I haven't been programming before), so I need some tutorials for the Windows Forms items. I disallowed installation of tutorial libraries on localhost in attempt to find particular help on Internet when needed, but help for VS C# 2008 Express seems to be missing... Who have experiences with Microsoft's programming tool, let's help me... Including screenshots of template images made in Photoshop and the VS forms would help a bit with the right tutorials...

IMG#1: Photoshop template (main window)

IMG#2: Photoshop template (preview window)

IMG#3: Main window

IMG#4: Preview window

IMG#5: Texture browser dialog

IMG#6: Video browser dialog

IMG#7: About box with program's attributes

And an image to think about: How the editor would look like in DOS? Is it possible to port text editing function of editor to the DOS with Basic programming language? This is again Photoshop made image with DOS application look:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-20-2013 05:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So what was your question again?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-20-2013 06:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Really? You want to edit shaders in DOS?

If anything, graphical editor FTW.

Ironically, anyone who is able to program a shader editor would simply consider it a lot less work to just write a shader (or at the very most, a document class) in a text editor and call it a day.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-20-2013 08:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Eraser
First of all:
Is it neccessary to continue in old project with the goal of improvement? Does community need new update of already working tool just slightly outdated from year of last release and few minor bugs (surfaceparm sky is missing)?

Next:
I'm new in Windows programming. I have already planned some visuals and the overall look of the program windows, just need to script them together to get the application working. I installed Visual Studio C# 2008 Express Edition for better editing of source files and graphics visuals. But I miss useful help eighter on local computer and Internet... Getting source code of last version of original Shader Editor would be fine to see, how it has been done...

Preview requires OPEN GL renderer for parse shader scripts and have it respond to user commands for changing preview type (flat texture view, skybox, cascades, BSP map, game model, etc.). This may require compile own DLL library with reference to renderer libraries.

Statusbar seems to miss support of pipe separators which opticaly separates neighboured items. This may be useful for separating pairs of status labels and their values...

Text format is one of the large question markers: Quake 3 does support plain ANSI format only or any text formats uncluding UTF-8? Quake Live seems to support only files without BOM markers (in hex editor represented as 0x0A byte)...

I made photoshop image templates of main window and preview window showing blue flag texture script from file ctf.shader for Quake Live... Creating shaders without BOM markers QL uses is recommended for QL mapping. File charset and format for shader scripts should be as simple as possible. This tool is supposed for easier shader scripts manipulation...

Last image shows photoshop template as non-existing experiment in DOS scripting. Since DOS runs graphic card in text mode, all sequences in the screen (borders, buttons, etc.) are made from text characters in DOS font and charset (In Windows XP the DOS font is called Terminal)...

obsidian wrote:
RealĹy6Żďoc0ä#.EóŐżçYz÷Űރ ĽQt§şBMý–
{k;î¶÷Zś™ž?Ęlž»·bkyôÉ* ˛‘­ŁĽ SżƒsCüô2ľúZăő§5U*dłÓSń Ů•XŹÍ5ĹŃtm
¨ý[ô–ĹZ.Q'’äG-nGƒ¤W0>gǪ٦ňR
t·Ę÷ˇ4ą×X YôĺŇkQŞ0g“ô7ȉĺç5ËĺDł25ČöF‹)+ĂbôqsvöFÚĚÎ>ěŘD#¦¤;ĽjVĺaÖůÚĐt‚…WLJ§Ýéh?;íCPŰ_ă>×–Űmďxí–d
•­ČF5°2Î×.‘-ęóň¸d}8d^›Űí1ť3ĄfɆĽvŚ„u®ˆžŻ¨&Úx_Žµb˜gµ,qáüÉî)±R±­·Ş«`ŘxůC†â/R:K‘)´˝¸4“?ýÝńĹO˙ŕPŁ
…ă´K*¶FŠ\ ˙ŠÄ?„Ă—
Ę\禨¬łÎZ¶oRŠ;ŕ`¨â Ś9;±‹FËNc~<Ńöü‰ă58ĂĚB¦˜vˆJ&Tâ“úű—b·_–¸ó ¤ż9>ęŮá]䁗˝0$Ců偦pT*

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-20-2013 11:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jesus wtf Ghost. Calm down buddy...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-20-2013 12:11 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Typical CZghost approach: come up with the visual chrome before actually getting some of the underlying systems in place. Try writing a simple OpenGL (or Direct3D, it doesn't really matter if you limit yourself to Windows) application that can render a textured surface. Once you got that down, move on to more advanced stuff like parsing a shader and translating it to appropriate OpenGL/Direct3D calls. Only then start worrying about a GUI and, oh boy, the way a statusbar looks.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-21-2013 06:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

themuffinman wrote:
Jesus wtf Ghost. Calm down buddy...

I wrote normal text. Looks like my computer dislikes obsidian and wants to ignore him >:) Unfortunately, it's impossible to get text back since data are already lost...

Eraser wrote:
Typical CZghost approach: come up with the visual chrome before actually getting some of the underlying systems in place. Try writing a simple OpenGL (or Direct3D, it doesn't really matter if you limit yourself to Windows) application that can render a textured surface. Once you got that down, move on to more advanced stuff like parsing a shader and translating it to appropriate OpenGL/Direct3D calls. Only then start worrying about a GUI and, oh boy, the way a statusbar looks.

The hardest part comes up at the beginning... I could simply download renderer libraries or source code to be compiled further. I wanted to plan visual look before making commads that may be associated with the window items.

Damn. I was just looking for help with Visual Studio controls, I was looking for someone that has experiences with that developer tool. I don't need advacend advice in the spirit of this is the best you can do so...
P.S. - Seems you all have misunderstood the goal of that topic... I just miss somebody to talk with and take long dialogues and monologues at such places as this... Sorry about that, I really need a girlfried in that manner :olo:

P.S. @muffin:
This text is a result of Hexplorer encryption tool. I wrote a text and encrypted it with it's original SHA key (plain copy&paste, not binary data)...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-21-2013 07:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So what do you need to know about Visual Studio? Anything specific?

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-25-2013 07:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Have you thought of a name for this program? A clever nane is the first thing you should focus on when writing software.

Last edited by MKJ on 08-25-2013 11:37 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-25-2013 09:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Certainly. I never even start thinking about what the program should do before coming up with a good name for it.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.