Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        Some baisc questions

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Some baisc questions

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 08-25-2013 01:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey guys, I've recently decided with a friend to start looking at game programming, I've done a lot of Java and a bit of C++ when I was (a lot) younger.

I've been a Quake player since I was 11 so kinda figured a good place to start might be playing with an existing engine to see how it's all pieced together. I've not really had to deal with compilers before, working in the wonderful world of high level languages and I'm finding it difficult to even build the source.

Is there any material on building the q3 source on software thats currently available (aka Visual studio 2010 express) or a first steps guide? I've been brushing up on C / C++ and would love to start tinkering!!

Any help would be appreciated!
-Turtle

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-26-2013 01:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-26-2013 04:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

themuffinman wrote:
http://www.theenginesofcreation.com/Content.aspx?id=other/myfirstmod

To be honest, that only covers the mod SDK, not the engine.
Also, if you prefer C++, the Doom 3 engine (idTech4) might be a better place to start. I have no hands-on experience with Doom 3 code, but I hear it's a lot more elegant than Quake 3 code.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 08-26-2013 06:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm currently working on idTech 3 with the ioQuake3 code base (http://www.ioquake3.org/) and I was really surprised as it's quite easy to build ! I personally wanted to avoid using Microsoft visual studio to work so I'm using MinGW with Msys and Notepad++ to do things. They have a pretty good guide on how to build the game with various methods : http://wiki.ioquake3.org/Building_ioquake3

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-26-2013 11:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
To be honest, that only covers the mod SDK, not the engine.

Well he's got to start somewhere, and it's probably best to be well acquainted with the VM modules first before modding the engine.

D-Meat wrote:
I'm currently working on idTech 3 with the ioQuake3 code base...

A more direct link (that site needs some serious revamping)...
https://github.com/ioquake/ioq3

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 08-28-2013 12:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey guys, cheers for all the links, i've been reading over anything and everything to get to grips with the Q3 source!

so far the easiest method I've found has been the ioquake3 source on my linux box, few weird build issues but I've cludged it together and its working! I've gone through all the basic easy tweaks, such as..

Linear grenades, weapon speeds, weapon effects, reload times, Plasma affected by gravity, player speed, jump height, bouncey rockets, TR_SINE rockets (which is a weird one) teleporting greandes, printing stuff in the console, spawning an entity when a grenade explodes (a clone of the player, a bit buggy), bodies float up when they die, messing with s.powerups, spawn with all weapons, instagib rail and probably a few more to boot. All very easy, mostly from guides but started trying my own stuff (spawning a clone on grenade explode) as I'm getting to grips with it more!

This has given me a fairly good idea of the basics, and is quite funny with all the tweaks ontop of each other! So thanks very much for all the resources! I suppose my next step would be try and accomplish something a bit more difficult, so is there any things you guys struggled with when starting out? A problem you remember in particular that you learnt something from having to solve? (And please remember I'm new to C/C++ and the Quake3 source, so no soul destroying head scratchers!)

-Turtle

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-28-2013 09:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tried this...?http://www.quake3hut.co.uk/q3coding/

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-28-2013 12:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Try implementing an entity like a func_pushable or something. Apply it to a (selection of) brush(es) to allow the player to push it through the level. If you can implement that by only altering game/cgame code then I'd love to have that in my EntityPlus mod :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.