Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        Unhandled AL error: invalid value

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Unhandled AL error: invalid value

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 09-09-2013 05:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi, i got recently this trouble with infinite loop (on ioquake3):
Unhandled AL error: invalid value
looks like an openal error but i never touched the engine code, the only thing i do was reinstall the openAL (with the new AMD ATI catalyst drivers)

...how can i get ride of this?
the code still untouched so i really can't understand why now i get this problem

ty

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 09-11-2013 05:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi !

One solution is to rewind through all the changes you did until it works.

Did you declared a "global variable" in the project you are working on ? For example, I tried to declare something in cg_main.c so it could be used anywhere inside that module, but [url="http://www.quake3world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=46870"]it gave me something I couldn't solve[/url] unless I declared my variable as a member of the cg_t megastructure.
It seems that declaring stuff in inappropriate places screws up some pointers or something like that.

Or you could compile a "clean" version of ioQuake3 and see if you get the error.

Or you could ask the question on the ioQuake3 forum (but I never managed to register and get my account activated so I never go there).

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 09-16-2013 08:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thanks for your reply D-meat.
Before rewind all the changes i made on the code i tried some days ago to compile the clean and untouched ioquake3 source but i still got the same error. The only solution i was able to find is to turn of s_useopenal.
My code worked well, also because from the previous time i tested it (no AL errors) and the last time i tested it (AL errors) i didn't change nothing.
And the only stuff i do in this time was updating my catalyst and openal drivers.
...O_O

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-16-2013 12:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don't bother with audio drivers. That error as well as that Cvar_Update error are completely unrelated to the problem at hand. I've had them numerous times before and I could never figure out why it happens. The only conclusion I could come up with was that some variables weren't being written to correctly, and then the game confuses itself and ends up giving the wrong error. Like D-Meat said, backtrack the changes done. That's why you should either regularly backup copies of your source or use Git/SVN.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-16-2013 10:05 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Can you download a binary version of ioq3 and test that? If the error still appears then it must be something specific to your machine. Maybe try rolling back to the previous version of the OpenAL drivers you were running?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-16-2013 10:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

themuffinman wrote:
Don't bother with audio drivers. That error as well as that Cvar_Update error are completely unrelated to the problem at hand. I've had them numerous times before and I could never figure out why it happens. The only conclusion I could come up with was that some variables weren't being written to correctly, and then the game confuses itself and ends up giving the wrong error. Like D-Meat said, backtrack the changes done. That's why you should either regularly backup copies of your source or use Git/SVN.

Well, he says th errors occur with the unmodified ioq3 codebase as well, so that pretty much rules out any code changes he made, no?

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 09-18-2013 02:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you got the point.
I will test soon the standard precompiled build of ioquake3. But still sounds weird, i really didn't changed nothing i just tested (after long time without touching the code) my build in order to see and remember what i have done and now this error happear.
I feel a little worried if the error WILL not still with the precompiled build of ioquake3, this will suggest me that the problem is inside my build and make stuff....mhmmmmm....i will try soon and tell you all.
So nobody got the same problem with the last update of catalyst?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-18-2013 11:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
themuffinman wrote:

Well, he says th errors occur with the unmodified ioq3 codebase as well, so that pretty much rules out any code changes he made, no?

Once, I rewrote the shotgun hit events so that sounds would be played at point of impact and the sound and visual effect would be different depending on surface type (eg: different for metal, dirt, snow etc.). What I overlooked was the events when the trace hit a player. The result was that whenever you'd fire the SG and hit an opponent the VMs would crash and give that error message. So in that case: unmodified engine but modified VMs.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 09-20-2013 12:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i will test the precompiled build of ioquake3, i didn't change nothing about the sound stuff (except turning on all TA sounds etc..)

Can it be related to old OpenAL headers?

I was just watching the github code of ioquake3 and they updates the openAL headers
https://github.com/ioquake/ioq3/tree/master/code

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.