Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        q3a mod: slugs and rockets

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: q3a mod: slugs and rockets

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-06-2013 10:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

edit 7-03-2014:
Here is the beta-version of the ioquake3 version of the SlugRock mod
SlugRock.zip

Completly rebuild from scratch upon the ioquake3 source-code by UglyFoot.
You'll need to have ioquake3 installed to play the mod
(get it here => http://ioquake3.org)
Check the progress on GitHub: https://github.com/takkie/slugrock

The new version is much more configurable, the cvars can be set in the menu and it features all the greatness from the ioquake3 code!

Comments and feedback appreciated :)
=====================================================
Older version of SlugRock are not available for download anymore.
=====================================================
edit 17-11-2013
I've been working on the new branch 5.x
There are a couple of changes:
the g_teamweaponSwitch is now g_switchteamWeapons
the rockets are killable
the bot code is different because i couldn't remember what i did in 4.21

And there is a bug in this version :(
When you frag an opponent with the railgun sometimes the fragged opponent
disappears. So Instead of dropping to the floor or gibbin' completly all there is left
is the little floating 1.
I remember having the same problem in 4.21 but at some point i fixed it
and i can't remember how. (keep away from drugs people :paranoid: )
iirc i found a fix in a q3coding-tutorial that was about something else.

=================================================
original post....

Over the past few years i've build this little mod
named SlugRock (slugs and rockets).

All items, powerups and weapons are removed from the map,
except for the flags in CTF.
Every time you (re)spawn in the arena you'll get the railgun
or the rocketlauncher.
In teamgames you can set the option 'forceteamWeapons' on.
In this case players on the red team (re)spawn with the
rocketlauncher and the players on the blue team (re)spawn
with the railgun.
If you set the option 'forceteamWeapons' off, the weapon
you'll get will be random just as in ffa.
Because there is no health available there also the option
'healthRegen', with this option on a player will recieve
5 health points every second until the maxium health of 125
points is reached.
The railgun and the rocketlauncher are not modified!

It was great fun building it and i learned a lot.
Unfortunaly i lost the source code...
Before i start again with a new branch (slugrock 5.xx)
i'd like to get some feedback and some opinions...

Last edited by Takkie on 04-08-2015 09:11 PM, edited 7 times in total.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-06-2013 10:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh,
I almost forgot to mention, there are quite a few little adjustments in the game.
Also the bot behaviour is more fitting to the mods gameplay.
The rg and rl are in no way modified.
I found them good as they were ;)

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 10-07-2013 01:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks fun ! I'll try it out tonight :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-07-2013 03:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:up:

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-07-2013 09:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks eraser.
Thanks for checking it out D-Meat. Let me now what you think of it :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-08-2013 11:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You know what would be cool? If there was a game mode where all players were paired up and one of them had a RL and the other a railgun. Each pair of players should really work together to have the player with the railgun pick off other players from a distance while the RL player fends off enemies that creep up too close :)

You could even split that up in two modes where in one mode, there's multiple 2-player teams and another mode where it's a sort of tournament mode idea where it's always 2v2 and the losing team is swapped out for another 2 player team (or random selection of two other players, that would be cool too).

Anyway, just venting my thoughts here :)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-09-2013 03:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's a great idea, Eraser.
Too bad such a thing sits at the end of my todo list because i don't have the skill/experience to implement this in a reasonable amount of time.
My programming skills are at 'copy/paste in the right place' and lots of trail and error.
Although i have a trained analytical brain (wich helps :D )
It probabaly cost me another few years to get it functioning :dork:

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 10-11-2013 04:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser's Ideas sound like a nice addition indeed :D

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 10-29-2013 12:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
You know what would be cool? If there was a game mode where all players were paired up and one of them had a RL and the other a railgun. Each pair of players should really work together to have the player with the railgun pick off other players from a distance while the RL player fends off enemies that creep up too close :)

You could even split that up in two modes where in one mode, there's multiple 2-player teams and another mode where it's a sort of tournament mode idea where it's always 2v2 and the losing team is swapped out for another 2 player team (or random selection of two other players, that would be cool too).

That's a good idea. Also because if a team will spawn only with RG it will be hard win a match in mid-close combat range (the reload time of railgun is a big handicap and that's why it should be used only for long range shoots).

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-05-2013 11:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ah, yes. the teamweapons: rockets vs. slugs is very unbalanced.
It was just something that seemed reasonable to implement but doesn't balance.
It still fun to play.
I was thinking about removing the foreceteamWeapons option from the menu.
(still keeping the cvar so if you want to play with teamweapons it still will bepossible)

I'm at my coding limits with this mod, creating a new gametype with weapon selection etc. is beyond me. I feel more inspired to get into mapping again especially to create some maps with this mod in mind.
Perhaps there is someone else out there with more coding skills/experience that wants to implement these features? I'm more than happy to share the source-code of the 5.x branch wich is a lot like the 4.21 version....

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-14-2013 10:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think I could help, though I'm not much sure.

For now I've already done my first try. I think that the first to be done it's that you could choose the weapon when selecting the team and limit the teams to 2 players. For now I've been doing this and I haven't finished yet because there's a bug that I can't understand but I think I'll fix it soon.

Later on, when I'll had this done, you could send me your code and I'll merge it with mine and work from there.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 11-15-2013 02:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

making maps is fine :)

But You seem to have hacked a little bit the menus, and for this I admire you, I'm scared of the moment I'll have to do that :)

The game modes, like a lot of things in the code, are simple lists. The hard part is to see where are the connections to that list and then it's easy to add a new item and "plug" it to the game :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-15-2013 04:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The q3_ui project isn't that hard actually. I haven't dawdled around in ui (the Team Arena code) though.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-15-2013 05:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

First off @D-Meat
Quote:
But You seem to have hacked a little bit the menus, and for this I admire you, I'm scared of the moment I'll have to do that
For the menu's: Most of the code is quite self-explanatory.
I just coded out some of the Id stuff and copied it elsewhere...
The map selection i copied from Juhox's hunt mod (same as i did with most of his bug-fixes)
If I look at what you're doing, i can't grasp hardly any of it... So i say, don't worry to much about the menu's.

@UglyFoot
Quote:
I think I could help, though I'm not much sure.

For now I've already done my first try. I think that the first to be done it's that you could choose the weapon when selecting the team and limit the teams to 2 players. For now I've been doing this and I haven't finished yet because there's a bug that I can't understand but I think I'll fix it soon.

Your help is highly appreciated!
Just say the word and i'll upload the source for you to dl ;)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-15-2013 06:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Make a Google Code project out of it :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-15-2013 06:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah RL/RG is pretty imbalanced. I know how you like minimalism, but I really think the idea needs expanding. I'd take Eraser's ideas there and go a little further with something like GL, RL, PG for team mates 1 and MG, SG, RG for team mate 2. In this way you still have emphasis on RL+RG but you cover major holes in the gameplay with the extra 4 weapons. The first teammate would have PG to lay cover from long distance enemy RG, and GL to reach where the RL can't. Second teammate have MG to finish off weakened enemies and SG to provide some defense in close range.

If you really want simplicity then instagib RG is the only way to go. As soon as you add one more weapon you'll quickly realize how broken the gameplay can be in situations where one weapon completely dominates another.

You should load up the source on GitHub. I've got tons of fixes, refinements, etc. that I can contribute.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-15-2013 11:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Some days ago I created the repository in GitHub but I haven't uploaded anything. If someone wants that I add him he just have to tell me his nick.

Since I'm quite new in Git (I've been using it for some time but I'm not used to it) I have doubts about how we have to get organized to avoid conflicts or spending more time in fixing the repo than programming. I think I'll wait some time before pushing anything.

I think that the first that could be done is pushing Takkie's code and merge with yours (muffin).

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-16-2013 11:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys.

themuffinman wrote:
You should load up the source on GitHub. I've got tons of fixes, refinements, etc. that I can contribute.

Thanks, if you want to contribute to this project please do, all the help and fixes are more than welcome!
And i like the idea of making this a google-project or getting it up on GitHub but for now i agree with UglyFoot
because i'm unfamiliar with both platforms it will take time to set things up in the right way.
I will look into it but for now you can get the source-code here:
SlugRock-501-sc.zip

I edited the top-post and described a bug in this version (501)
I'll describe it here again:
When you frag an opponent with the railgun sometimes the fragged opponent disappears.
So Instead of dropping to the floor or gibbin' completly all there is left is the little floating 1.
I remember having the same problem in 4.21 but at some point i fixed it and i can't remember how.
iirc i found a fix in a q3coding-tutorial that was about something else...

So if you want to check the bug, download version 5.01 here:
SlugRock-501.zip

The quickest way to see the bug is to start a map with bots and set g_forceSlugs to 1
This is the railgun-only mode.

themuffinman wrote:
Yeah RL/RG is pretty imbalanced. I know how you like minimalism, but I really think the idea needs expanding. I'd take Eraser's ideas there and go a little further with something like GL, RL, PG for team mates 1 and MG, SG, RG for team mate 2. In this way you still have emphasis on RL+RG but you cover major holes in the gameplay with the extra 4 weapons. The first teammate would have PG to lay cover from long distance enemy RG, and GL to reach where the RL can't. Second teammate have MG to finish off weakened enemies and SG to provide some defense in close range.

If you really want simplicity then instagib RG is the only way to go. As soon as you add one more weapon you'll quickly realize how broken the gameplay can be in situations where one weapon completely dominates another.

The game is really unbalanced and i agree about you on instagib. I played that by far the most in the past decade...
But at some point i missed the RL and came up with this mod.
At some point i started adding weapons to the RL/RG combo and ended up with a RandomWeapons mod. (i really did)
The weapons in q3 are really well suited next to each other, they balance out really great.
Once you hassle with this the gameplay breaks up.
I think for now the bugfix and more refinements are on the top of the list.
I'd love to see this 5.xx version work with fixes.
After that implement Eraser's ideas about two new gametypes
1. 2plyr-Team Tournament style: 2 vs 2
2. 2plyr-Team DM style: 2 vs 2 vs 2 vs 2 etc...
and along that discuss and implement stuff to bring the gameplay together.

I'm not eager to implement other weapons in this mod but will take it in consideration.
I was thinking about equiping the railgun with a offhand-grapple....
But i want the bots to play the game with the same tools as a human and bots don't like to graplle.
Just as the don't seem to like Rocket Jumping.

Again, thanks for the feedback and offering help!

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-16-2013 11:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, i forgot to mention.
With the source-code comes a done.txt
In here i documented where the changes in the source are.
In the code itself all changes are maked with //SlugRock.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-18-2013 11:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, I merged the code and I've made some changes. Now you can select a weapon when choosing a team and it works with all cvars. Also I did this changes:
- Now weapon switch every time you spawn in FFA and Single player. I think it's better than random.
- Mod cvars resets every time you start the game, so it's easier to know cvar values.

While I was trying to figure out why the body disappears I found another bug: if you start a game and you change team right after joining, a red circle appears on the head, until you look at the scoresboard.
Another bug I found is that if a corridor is not much tall the bot can get stuck when shooting him at the same time he is jumping.

I've been trying to fix these bugs but I couldn't and I think it can take a lot of time. To fix them and avoid new bugs I thought that I could be easier start from 0 and try to reuse your code if possible. The main changes I think that must be done are:
- Changing the main menu
- Make that bots work without items in the map
- Health regeneration
- "Killable" rockets

and there must something else. Tell me if I forget something. Anyway I'll look at done.txt every time I change a file.

I think that for now I'm going to try this.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-19-2013 12:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Great stuff UglyFoot.
I like the 'switch every time' (alternate) and the cvar reset additions.
Perhaps the we could have a cvar for the RL/RG switch (set 'random' or 'alternate')

I agree with you that we should start from scratch again.
At this point there are too much minor changes that (can) cause conflicts/problems.

I think we can divide the code up in four pieces.

The user interface (ui)
The in-game graphics (cgame)
The game(play) code (game)
The bot code (ai)

For the UI:
- Change the main menu
- Change map selection menu
- Disable obsolete weapon keys
- Change Playermodel machinegun in RL or RG
- Perhaps add a SlugRock-settings page (in wich you set the cvar's)

For the in-game graphics:
- Change HUD, disable ammo and armor counter etc.
- Smaller ''You fragged ... for ... place" signal.
- Railcolor tag correction / misslehitwall

For the bot-code:
- Make the bots work without items in the map
- Bot aggression depending on HealthRegen
- Better bots (?)

For the gameplay code:
- Only RL and/or RG
- healthRegen
- Killable Rockets

I really like to start from scratch, it leaves much more options open for discussion.
Great input UglyFoot!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-20-2013 12:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If starting from scratch you should really use ioq3. I can contribute the following:
- multi-team support for up to 6 teams, which means rewriting the team code entirely
- full widescreen support for HUD and loading screen
- railgun beam fixes, QL-style beam and 25 colors, correct railgun weapon colorization

I'm also lacking the know-how on committing to repositories and using/creating .diff patches, but if you want any form of coordination you have to make the repo and figure it out... it can't be that difficult.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-20-2013 11:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think using ioq3 is a good idea.
It can take the mod to 'the next level'.

I'm now downloading, installing git/github and the compiler tools for ioq3.
(That is quite different than just having notepad an a few batch files)
It will take some to to get used to it and set it up right but the documentation is quite clear.

themuffinman wrote:
I can contribute the following:
- multi-team support for up to 6 teams, which means rewriting the team code entirely
- full widescreen support for HUD and loading screen
- railgun beam fixes, QL-style beam and 25 colors, correct railgun weapon colorization

I'm looking forward to your contributions.
6 teams... I can use photoshop to colorize the id-models-team skins for the other four teams.
(Green, yellow, cyan and magenta)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-21-2013 12:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Takkie wrote:
6 teams... I can use photoshop to colorize the id-models-team skins for the other four teams.

There's no need... it's both easier and more efficient on memory to just use bright skins which can share the same shaders but can have any color applied to them. I should probably do team-colored grenades too.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 11-21-2013 02:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

themuffinman wrote:
Takkie wrote:

There's no need... it's both easier and more efficient on memory to just use bright skins which can share the same shaders but can have any color applied to them. I should probably do team-colored grenades too.

Well, you'll have to modify the base skins to add an alpha challel that will "stencil" out the coloured parts :) In the original quake 3 (I don't know about team Arena) each team skin is a separate TGA (this allows to add more that colour difference between characters, changing some details for example).

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-21-2013 05:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

themuffinman wrote:

Is that what they did to the CPMA player skins?

D-Meat wrote:
Well, you'll have to modify the base skins to add an alpha challel that will "stencil" out the coloured parts In the original quake 3 (I don't know about team Arena) each team skin is a separate TGA (this allows to add more that colour difference between characters, changing some details for example).

This could be cool, still a lot of work if you want it done properly.
And photoshop isn't keen on alpha channels, so hve to install GIMP ;)

An other solution would be a FX-shader on the player (something like a regeneration-fx for red team, quad-fx for blue and make some other shaders for other teams).
No skinning involved, just a bit of coding and a few shaders...

ToKu wrote:
Hi, I like your work, it's nice.

Though I have two suggestions:

1. If you plan to start from scratch, I highly recommend to use 'Spearmint' engine. It is an enhanced ioquake3 engine.
'Spearmint' already has widscreen support, even HUD is always aspect correct (16:9, 16:10. 4:3, etc.)
Don't get me wrong, I like ioquake3 as well but 'Spearmint' has tons of enhancements (e.g.: 4 player splitscreen) and it is GPLv3.
'Spearmint' also merged cgame and ui module, which makes coding a lot easier.
https://github.com/zturtleman/spearmint/wiki

2. There is no need to remove the code you do not need for 'SlugRock'. If you don't need bots to camp for example, than create a gametype and
exclude your mod from using a function. This way you don't destroy existing gametypes.

Only to make it clear, I don't say something is wrong. Your work is really cool! Just a few thoughts...

Thanks for the heads-up, i'm not familiar with spearmint. It sounds cool.
I will check it out.
Thanks for the kind words and the support!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-21-2013 10:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

D-Meat wrote:
Well, you'll have to modify the base skins to add an alpha challel that will "stencil" out the coloured parts :) In the original quake 3 (I don't know about team Arena) each team skin is a separate TGA (this allows to add more that colour difference between characters, changing some details for example).

I've had bright skins in my own mod for ages, so it's just a case of adapting the code and converting the png textures to tga. The essence of it is a greyscale shader stage that uses 'rgbGen entity', then just forcing the skins and applying the colors to the head, torso and legs refentities in CG_Player() with shaderRGBA.

ToKu wrote:
Spearmint

The problem arises with the fact that the vms aren't compatible with standard Q3, unlike in ioq3. I doubt needing a custom client/server binary is really worthwhile for a mod with such a narrow scope. Besides, I tried using Spearmint a while back and it irritated the hell out of me with that splitscreen code that makes any changes involving playerstates etc. just so much more complicated to achieve.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-21-2013 10:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Takkie wrote:
Is that what they did to the CPMA player skins?

Yes exactly like that but obviously forced to actual team colors.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-21-2013 10:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I created a GitHub for SlugRock.
I added the source-code of ioq3.
So we got the scratch and can start from there.

Check it here SlugRock on GitHub

Next thing is to learn to compile it.. :)

themuffinman wrote:
I should probably do team-colored grenades too.

Yes, i have been thinking about your idea/suggestion to add weapons.
I agree, this will enhance gameplay and will fix the gameplay 'gap'.
Still i like the 'Slugs and Rockets only' version.
Perhaps we can add a cvar like: g_additionalWeapons or g_pureSlugRock
So you can choose for each gametype if you want the additional weapons or not...
I think it is also good idea to have the additional weapons also available in FFA and CTF.

ToKu wrote:
Especially because he is using code from Jürgen Hoffman (JUHOX).
JUHOX mod(s) inspired many people to make awesome mods, mods that became bigger and bigger... after some time switching to a GPLv3 engine should be considered.

Yes, i did beta-testing for him with the Railor and the Hunt mod.
His map generator was one of the many wonderfull things he created.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-22-2013 09:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been these days reading and getting used to git. I think this is a good place to get started:
https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorial

In addition, is useful to know how to ignore some files like the project or bat files. In this page it's well explained:
https://help.github.com/articles/ignoring-files

The exclude file is very useful because it allows you to ignore locally and don't force the others to do the same. I've used it to ignore all files that aren't code. If you want to do the same, add these lines:
Code:
!*/
!*.c
!*.cpp
!*.h

However, the files that are already tracked won't be ignored. There are at least two ways to ignore those files, one way is using --assume-unchanged and another is untracking them, like in this case:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1139762/gitignore-file-not-ignoring

The first is useful for files you want to keep in the rep like project files, the second for files you want to keep in the rep but you don't want to share because there's no need, like bat files.

Edit: Using --assume-unchanged is not a good idea, take a look here.

Also I did part of the list (not much):
Quote:
For the UI:
Done - Change the main menu
Done - Change map selection menu
Done - Disable obsolete weapon keys

Done - Change HUD, disable ammo and armor counter etc.
Done - Smaller ''You fragged ... for ... place" signal.

For the bot-code:
- Better bots (?)

For the gameplay code:
Done - Only RL and/or RG
Done - healthRegen
- Killable Rockets

and I added some changes:
- Added g_allowGauntlet (default 0)
- Changed g_forceSlugs/Rockets into cg_forceWeapon with "RL", "RG" or "" (default) (it isn't case sensitive)
- Added cg_ffaWeaponMode with "random" or "alternate" (default)

As I did this in q3a code it will take some time to move the changes to ioq3. When I'll had moved them I'll push to your rep, my nick in github is flesk88, add me as a collaborator whenever you can.

Last edited by UglyFoot on 03-12-2014 07:15 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-22-2013 01:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A quick reply
@UglyFoot i added you as a collaborator.
@themuffinman what's your nick on github? I'd like to add you as a collaborator also. :)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-22-2013 02:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not sure but I think the way you did the rep won't let us to pull from ioq3 rep in the future, I think it's better to fork it:
https://github.com/ioquake/ioq3

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-22-2013 11:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok, I've set up a fork of ioq3 and renamed it SlugRock.
(So i deleted the previous repo of SlugRock)

UglyFoot wrote:
I've been these days reading and getting used to git. I think this is a good place to get started:
https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorial

In addition, is useful to know how to ignore some files like the project or bat files. In this page it's well explained:
https://help.github.com/articles/ignoring-files

The exclude file is very useful because it allows you to ignore locally and don't force the others to do the same. I've used it to ignore all files that aren't code. If you want to do the same, add these lines:
Code:
!*/
!*.c
!*.cpp
!*.h

However, the files that are already tracked won't be ignored. There are at least two ways to ignore those files, one way is using --assume-unchanged and another is untracking them, like in this case:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1139 ... t-ignoring

The first is useful for files you want to keep in the rep like project files, the second for files you want to keep in the rep but you don't want to share because there's no need, like bat files.

Thanks for the links, I'll sure have to do the reading too.
(Squeeze it into my real-life somewhere :D )

UglyFoot wrote:
Also I did part of the list (not much):
Quote:
For the UI:
Done - Change the main menu
Done - Change map selection menu
Done - Disable obsolete weapon keys

Done - Change HUD, disable ammo and armor counter etc.
Done - Smaller ''You fragged ... for ... place" signal.

For the bot-code:
- Better bots (?)

For the gameplay code:
Done - Only RL and/or RG
Done - healthRegen
- Killable Rockets

and I added some changes:
- Added g_allowGauntlet (default 0)
- Changed g_forceSlugs/Rockets into cg_forceWeapon with "RL", "RG" or "" (default) (it isn't case sensitive)
- Added cg_ffaWeaponMode with "random" or "alternate" (default)

As I did this in q3a code it will take some time to move the changes to ioq3.

Well that's a great start.
I haven't had the time to look at the ioq3-code, i'm curious about how much changes/bugfixes there are in the code we will use for SlugRock.
The changes you added are great, making the mod more flexible.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-23-2013 12:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Done a bunch of coding towards multi-teams. I must be about halfway through the server-side changes. I haven't touched the bot code yet... it promises to be a nice big bag of lols getting bots to work properly in 3+ team CTF.

Takkie wrote:
@themuffinman what's your nick on github?

themuffinator

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-23-2013 04:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@themuffinman I'll add you as a collaoborator.
I noticed you forked the SlugRock repo.
I deleted that repo! And i replaced with a fork from ioq3 and named that SlugRock.
I think if you we want to pull your code into our 'master' it may be a problem because the 'master' of the fork you have is deleted.
I suggest you create a new fork and copy your code into that.
I may be wrong, but better to be save now than to be sorry later.
I'm sorry for the inconvience and causing extra work.

Btw. 3+team ctf sound really great, we have to discuss how this affects the gameplay and the shortage of flags...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.