Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        q3a mod: slugs and rockets

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: q3a mod: slugs and rocket

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-07-2014 12:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've uploaded the beta version and wrote up a little readme.txt
You can download it here:
SlugRock_ioq3-beta.zip

Is there any demand for a non-ioquake3 version (-vq3) of this mod?
For this version you don't need ioquake3 but you will miss quite some of its features.
If so i have a version wich i can make available for download too...

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-11-2014 01:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

UglyFoot wrote:
That's true, doing it for TDM is easier and I think I'll do that. I would like to finish muffinman's work but I don't know if I'll be able to, I have fixed all compiling errors but the game crashes when I start a game. I'll see what I can do.

I never tried compiling it and now that I recently did I realise how sloppy my code is! Regardless, I fixed it all and it worked (it seems to not be compatible with quake3.exe, I'm almost certain ioq3 mods were compatible once upon a time). Did a good dose of improvements and the main issue atm is team ranking, but that's almost fixed. Other than that CTF needs fixing and TDM works perfectly.

Anyway, I feel like I'm kind of hi-jacking this thread so I'll start a new thread for this soon. Then I need to get clued up on how to work with Gitbash and Git Hub.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-12-2014 08:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Alright. To use git I recommend you using GitExtensions, it has a simple interface as well as integration with VS. Besides of that just letting you know there are some useful links about git scattered in the thread. Let me know when you'll have the repository in GitHub, there are some changes I could add, if you haven't done them yet.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-13-2014 08:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Windows Git GUIs

TortoiseGit works like TortoiseSVN if that's what you're used to.

GitHub GUI made by GitHub for Windows. Haven't used it myself but looks very Windows 8 themed.

SourceTree is now available on Windows. I have the Mac version installed and it's pretty slick.

SmartGit is pretty full featured. Haven't used it for Git, but I have used their SVN client with similar features.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-17-2014 02:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Windows Git GUIs

SourceTree is now available on Windows. I have the Mac version installed and it's pretty slick.

SmartGit is pretty full featured. Haven't used it for Git, but I have used their SVN client with similar features.

I previously used SmartGit at my job and have now switched to SourceTree. Not because I have a particular dislike for SmartGit, but most of my colleagues used SourceTree and I figured it'd be easiest to all use the same toolset.

I must say that SourceTree has a few advantages and a few disadvantages. In some areas the interface is slightly more better tuned. It has a few bells and whistles that SmartGit misses. However, my biggest gripe with SourceTree is that the built-in comparison tool shows a UNIX style comparison (with the little minuses and pluses in front of each line) and a multiple changes in a single file results in multiple "blocks" of code from one file being shown, rather than the whole file at once. SmartGit has a better comparison tool that just shows the two versions of a file next to each other. SourceTree allows you to open a comparison in your favorite comparison tool (Araxis Merge being mine) with a single click though.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-22-2014 10:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, I've added the new difficulty, now the bots are much better with the RG than in nightmare though their skill with the RL can be improved. I think you'll never again complain about that :). For now it's called "New Skill" but I thought a better name could be "Terminator" and replacing the nightmare skull with terminator's :). I don't know if I'll be able to do that, perhaps someone with a better skills at image editing could help.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-22-2014 11:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll never complain about the bot skill again ;)
This new skill is great!
I was thinking about a skillname with a fitting image.
I like the terminator but image editing isn't my thing either.
So perhaps the skillname: 'insane' or 'master'
with the slugrock icon
edit2 new 128 x 128 icon proper channel:
.tga version size 128 x 128 (was 32 x 32) here: SlugRock-ioq3-skill6.zip
Just extract the .pk3 in your SlugRock folder. (test-4 version)
I think 'master' is appropriate.
I can make a bigger version of the slugrock icon if necessary (used the same size as the other skills for this one)

or you could use the menu/art/level_complete5.tga
and with that 'insane' seems appropriate.

Last edited by Takkie on 03-24-2014 10:07 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-24-2014 10:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok, I'll use that icon for now. For some reason it can't load the tga file, I've changed the code so that you can see it yourself and maybe fix it. Now it looks for skill6.tga.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-24-2014 10:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

UglyFoot wrote:
I've changed the code so that you can see it yourself and maybe fix it. Now it looks for skill6.tga.

That helped!
I got it working on my system :)
This skill6 icon is size 128 x 128 (originals are 32 x 32 but are quite blurry imo) and is .tga
Download here: SlugRock-ioq3-skill6.zip
Just extract the .pk3 in your SlugRock folder. (test-4 version)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-27-2014 03:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good, it works here too.

I've thought that it would be a good idea that others could test the future changes with no difficulty. To do that I thought we could create another repository for the mod files. GitHub creates a zip file every time a tag is added so it would be as easy as adding a tag for each new version. Could you create the repo (something like SlugRock-mod-files) and add me? I can do the rest.

Edit:
Actually if we do this it would be better to rename the current repo to SlugRock-code and name the other SlugRock, because when it makes the zip file it puts everything in a folder with the repo's name plus the tag name and this way the folder name will have more sense.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-27-2014 11:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

UglyFoot wrote:
I've thought that it would be a good idea that others could test the future changes with no difficulty. To do that I thought we could create another repository for the mod files. GitHub creates a zip file every time a tag is added so it would be as easy as adding a tag for each new version. Could you create the repo (something like SlugRock-mod-files) and add me? I can do the rest.

That's a good idea.
I never realised you can also commit a .pk3 file to a repository.

UglyFoot wrote:
Actually if we do this it would be better to rename the current repo to SlugRock-code and name the other SlugRock, because when it makes the zip file it puts everything in a folder with the repo's name plus the tag name and this way the folder name will have more sense.

Done that.
And i added a README.md as a first commit.
I also added a SlugRock-vm.pk3 (wich contains the .qvm's) a SlugRock-media.pk3 (wich contains the skill6.tga) and the SlugRock.bat (wich contains the command line to start the mod).
I used the SlugRock-code-test-4 branch so this is the most up to date version ;)

I also updated the upstream ioquake3 code to our SlugRock-code master.
(we may need to think about cleaning up the SlugRock-code repository, perhaps the test-branch and test-2 branch can be deleted(?))

btw. i just noticed if you download the .zip from the new repository it will name it SlugRock-master and the SlugRock folder in it will be named SlugRock-master too. ( master skill ;) )
So the command line in the .bat file needs to change, and also the readme needs adjustment.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-28-2014 04:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You know what I love about this thread right here? That there's a bunch of people who picked something up, collaborated and actually got something tangible out of it. Kudos to you :up:

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-28-2014 08:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
You know what I love about this thread right here? That there's a bunch of people who picked something up, collaborated and actually got something tangible out of it. Kudos to you :up:

Hehe, thanks Eraser :) it has been a long time since we began and we still need to do the idea of having multiple teams of 2 players but since themuffinman has uploaded the new code I think we'll have it done soon. Also I think that having little releases at one click distance will raise the interest.

@Takkie Good, I was thinking of having just the scattered files for convenience, it will work too except that you won't be able to load the mod from the mod menu. That's a problem I tried to solve just adding an empty pk3 with the folder's name. It worked for "SlugRock" but not for "SlugRock-v1.1.0-beta", for some reason fs_game became just "SlugRock-v1.1.0-", maybe removing the second - might fix it, I'll try it later.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-28-2014 09:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is there anything I could do? Would love to get involved.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-28-2014 02:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@uglyfoot i'll remove the description about loading the mod from the menu. (haven't used that option in ages myself ;))

@eraser i like this thread also for the obvious reasons and more, it really tells how the mod comes together and it's the only communication between uglyfoot and me.
If you want to be part of it you're welcome. :up:
I can add you as a collaborator on github (if you are on GitHub that is...).
There are sounds needed to be done for the multiteam thing (team colour announcer).
I was thinking about a new scoreboard with a slug and rocket frag counter.
UglyFoot collected these bugs: bugs.txt
And perhaps you have some fresh ideas yourself?
Cheers

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-29-2014 09:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Is there anything I could do? Would love to get involved.

The first I was going to do is merging themuffinman's code and polishing it, you could start taking a look at that or some of the things Takkie's said, I would forget about bugs if I were you, I think the first two are ioquake3's legacy but I'm not sure. Also, there's a problem with the git repo, it has been a mess all this time and I want to fix it, I'll see what I can do.

Takkie wrote:
@uglyfoot i'll remove the description about loading the mod from the menu. (haven't used that option in ages myself ;))

Well, I figured that when a mod is loaded from the mods list the fs_game has a maximum of 16 characters so we'll have to use shorter names, like sr-vx.y.z-beta. It'll be handy to be able to load a specific version just running ioq3 and selecting it from the mods list.
A side of that I have seen that there's a better way to upload releases to GH, the way I told you is used for releasing source code, for the mod files it's better to use the GH interface and doing the zip manually. So I would rename SlugRock-code to SlugRock and the new repository to SlugRock-mod-files, I'll put the releases in SlugRock.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-29-2014 10:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

UglyFoot wrote:
So I would rename SlugRock-code to SlugRock and the new repository to SlugRock-mod-files

Done that.

UglyFoot wrote:
A side of that I have seen that there's a better way to upload releases to GH, the way I told you is used for releasing source code, for the mod files it's better to use the GH interface and doing the zip manually....
I'll put the releases in SlugRock.

Go ahead ;)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-30-2014 11:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In a weird moment of clarity it hit me....
There is a weapon switch option we haven't touched yet.

A timer based weapon switch.
Example: a tourney match of 10 min.
Both players start with RL. Time switch is set at 1 min.
After 1 min both players switch to RG and a minute later to RL.
There could even be a time-float so the moment isn't exactly predictable.
Just like the 'frag/spawn' weapon switch we could let the client and bots set their own starting weapon and have their own timer setting. For a more competitive style the timer and weapon start could also be forced by the server.

≠≠============================
edit: changed the description of the idea a bit an added some text to describe to what extend this option can be used.....
==============================

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-31-2014 02:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Alright, I'll keep that in mind. For now I'll focus on the repo. I don't have much time so it's going to go slowly...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-01-2014 01:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Where's info on how to do a proper git checkout?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-01-2014 02:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Eraser Is this what you are looking for? https://help.github.com/articles/fetching-a-remote

@UglyFoot No problem take the time you need... There is plenty :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-01-2014 05:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nah, I mean the specifics. Where's the repository located etc.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-01-2014 07:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The repository is here https://github.com/Takkie/SlugRock. To start working with it you have to clone it using the clone URL.

Edit: You won't like what you'll see :puke: :)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-12-2014 06:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It is almost easter, do you know those small chocolate eggs?
Well i'm hiding a few in this topic.
Check the 'Easter Egg MapPack 2014' on the slugs and rockets site.
Link is here!
A bunch of very small maps for some slugs and rockets mayhem.
Just like the small chocolate eggs these maps propably won't last long and won't satisfy your need for quality maps but are still good fun.
Hope you enjoy.

Back to the topic now...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-12-2014 08:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's a good idea, I'll try them later. Maybe you should post them in LEM too so that more people could see them. I would also post some screenshots to let people see the shape of every map, if possible.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-12-2014 09:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

UglyFoot wrote:
Maybe you should post them in LEM too so that more people could see them.

:D I posted them here as a little easter treat for those who browse this tread and occasionally visit the slugs and rockets site.
So for now nah, maybe later as a 'seasonal greeting' :)

UglyFoot wrote:
I would also post some screenshots to let people see the shape of every map, if possible.

I thought about that but these maps "are like a box of chocolates, you'll never know what you'll get" (sorry for the cheesy quote :puke: ).
And if you'll visit this link you'll get a little impression.

UglyFoot wrote:
It's a good idea, I'll try them later.

Thanks, perhaps wait for the easter holiday (if you have one) to unpack the .zip :p

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-20-2014 04:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry, I was going to post the last weekend, I saved it as a draft and forgot about it. I've played in some of them last weekend and this. I really liked the DM maps, they're very good for practising and very challenging if you play in nightmare. Also I like how they look. RBM01 and RBM04 are the ones I like most, for gameplay and how they look. I would put the map names on the map list because it's so hard to remember what map you've just played. I liked the "Carbon fruit" name for RBM04, because it's really like a fruit, but it might have more sense "Steel fruit", don't you think?

About the repository just tell us I've done a rebase and now all commits are in the master branch. No more silly test branches, I removed them. I was going to zip the 1.0 version but I noticed a bug I wasn't aware of. It only happens with the qvms. It seems to be something I've been missing all this time since I'm used to use the dlls for testing. It seems to be a problem related to shaders, it can be noticed when the blood appears. I'll try to fix it when I'll be able to, meanwhile if you want to take a look Eraser... :)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-22-2014 09:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@UglyFoot
Thanks for the comments on the maps...
Perhaps one day i'll touch them again and change the map names, who knows :)

I wasn't aware of a bug and i've been playing with the .qvm's
I'll check it out soon (i hope)
My pc is having serious issues and i'm planning on buying a new one really soon (the one i have now is about six years old/young...)
So i'll have to check it out later...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-14-2014 09:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@UglyFoot
I downloaded the master from GitHub and build the .qvm's
In the games i played i did not recognize the bug. Bodies disappear, gib and blood appear.
(or is the bug noticeable by a little drop in framerate? Because i notice that but it happens as long as i know)

To check i tried to build the .dll's
A few warning messages came up and an error so i couldn't check them.
Strange that you can build the dll's but i can't...

So here are the warnings:
code/game/g_gbot.c:555:5: warning: function decleration isn't a prototype [-Wstrict-prototypes]
int InitARandomColor() {
^

and at the end:

code/game/g_weapon.c: In function 'weapon_railgun_fire':
code/game/g_weapon.c:455:8: warning: variable 'passent' set but not used [Wunused-but-set-variable]
int passent
^
GAME_CC code/game/g_syscalls.c
LD build/release-mingw32-x86/baseq3/qagamex86.dll
UI_CC code/q3_ui/ui_main.c
<command-line>:0:4 error: expected identifier or '(' befor numeric constant
code/q3_ui/../qcommon/q_shared.h:190:15: note: in expansion of macro 'ui'
unsigned in ui;
^

in file include from code/q3_ui/ui_local.h:26:0,
from code/q3_ui/ui_main.c:32:
code/q3_ui/../qcommon/q_shared.h:191:1: warning: no semicolon at the end os struct or
union [enabled by default]
} floatint_t;
^
make [2]: *** [build/release-mingw32-x86/basq3/ui/ui_main.o] Error 1
make [2]: Leaving directory '/slugrock-master'
make [1]: *** [targets] Error 2
make [1]: Leaving directory '/slugrock-master'
make : *** [release] Error 2

So the cgamex86.dll and qagamex86.dll are build with warnings
but the uix86.dll isn't

Hope it makes sense to you...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-17-2014 06:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hm, I might be wrong or it might be not related to the code, I'll check it again.

Thanks for the effort but don't bother compiling the dlls, I noticed it with the qvms. By the way, I compile from Visual Studio, which have a different compiler than gcc, so that's why you can't compile them but I can. But fixing that error you should be able to compile them, I'll check that too.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-20-2014 04:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, I have had a look at this, there's still some weird problem when the blood appears (shaders related, not just a simple slowdown), it seems it appeared when I did the new skill.

Since I won't be able to change the code for some time because of some computer issues (I need to replace it too) and it isn't a big problem (maybe it isn't even a problem from what you told me) I just released the 1.0 version in GitHub. I have done some changes to both repositories, mainly in the mod files one, but after all there's no difference in the mod.

Well, you'll tell me if the uploaded version works as fine as until now, see you.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-30-2014 12:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The uploaded version has the error.
But if i compile the.qvm's from the master-source they don't have the error.

Here is a download to the files:
http://members.quicknet.nl/j.slee/slugrock/SlugRock.zip

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.