Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        Replacing stock Q3 weapons with custom ones

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Replacing stock Q3 weapons with custom ones

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 02-04-2014 11:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have modeled a few weapons and i'm looking into replacing the stock Q3 ones with mine. However, i noticed that the code responsible for loading weapons is really "coupled" with the stock weapons: there's a lot of switch's and if's depending on the weapon, for loading some parts of the model, or rotating other parts... a real mess.

Does anyone with a better experience with the Q3 codebase could guide me (or point me some tuts/docs) into the job of replacing the weapon models? Which files have weapon-specific loading/switching? For example: to replace the machine gun, i have to alter a few files with MD3 loading of separate parts, and other files to make the weapon rotate (i have to disable that for my model), etc.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 02-04-2014 12:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here's a tutorial about adding a new weapon.
http://www.quake3hut.co.uk/q3coding/more!/new%20weapons.htm
It might be a starting point for what you are looking for.
Perhaps somebody else here can help you better detail...

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 02-16-2014 05:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have noticed that this tut does not cover adding first-person weapon model. How is this done?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 02-18-2014 05:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Do you really need to alter the code to do this? What's exactly what you want to do? You can take a look at other custom models, it might help.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 08-25-2014 07:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just find the whole thing difficult because the code is so tightly coupled. Adding a new weapon is a nightmare.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.