Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        book : "Focus on mod programming for Quake 3 Arena"

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: book : "Focus on mod programming for Quake 3 Arena"

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 03-04-2014 12:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi there ! Long time no posts, it seems I lost my motivation to make games somewhere in the process ...

Anyway, has anybody heard of this book : "focus on mod programming for Quake 3 Arena" by Shawn Holmes ?

I'm curious of the quality of that book, and maybe I'll buy it. But maybe it's crap ! Maybe I already know everything that's in it !

Has anyone here read it ?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-04-2014 04:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I haven't read it but I have found this link with a comment about it and some sources. I would add to this:
- http://www.quakewiki.net/archives/code3arena/index.shtml
- http://www.quake3hut.co.uk/q3coding/

The book seems good, I would buy an used one.

Yes, unfortunately motivation gets lost over time but you need to know how to deal with it. One thing I do (or try :)) is spending a little time everyday or two even if it's just ten or fifteen minutes so that the results will come sooner or later and some motivation as well.

Last edited by UglyFoot on 03-05-2014 03:28 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-06-2014 12:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Second hand for 95 cents? lol, I might actually go and pick it up for that price.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 03-06-2014 05:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks for your feedback ! I'll try to catch a cheap copy :)

And yeah I think paper books are stille good ... By studing (or rather decrypting) by myself the engine last year, I accumulated a 2cm thick stack of A4 paper with notes. I wrote down all the structures I needed, and some time some functions that I had trouble understanding. Maybe I should've found out about that book earlier. Well.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 08-25-2014 04:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So, do you guys recommend this book? Worth buying?

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 09-12-2014 05:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually, you can download it for free in some places (I don't know if it's acutally legal or not), so you can give it a try :)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-11-2015 09:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I actually got the book and started going through the code. I get a funky error when messing with the seeking rocket. In the homing missile function if I don't include a line that prints anything every time the function passes through the game will crash. Really weird, and I'm not sure how to go through that.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.