Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        Entity-spawning limitations?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Entity-spawning limitations?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-03-2015 08:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been working on a small mod that allows you to play as an engineer, which can build structures during the game. Not turrets, like in TF, but buildings... something like an RTS mix. Is this possible in the id Tech engine?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 01-04-2015 03:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@vinny: There is only one game currently supporting that: Minecraft :)

You want to make a mod that will be alike a Minecraft? I think it'd be impossible with only a mod, that may require engine changes and this requires standalone game. Thus you will be unable to use original Quake 3 assets as they are copyrighted by id Software.

Also why you need to copy idea of already existing game? Try to pick source code of Minecraft and try to make higher quality textures for it ;)

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-04-2015 01:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pretty sure he doesnt mean build buildings from scratch. he means plopping down buildings for resources, similar to how an RTS works. Or the game C&C Renegade in multiplayer.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-04-2015 04:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No, not Minecraft. I don't want players to create or design buildings, just spawn prefabs. Something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guOQtzeFvYA

I'm just curious about how to handle this in code: is it possible to spawn BSP prefabs on top of my level? Or i can just spawn MD3 models? What about lighting?

ps.: If someone reading this is actually looking for Minecraft-ish behavior, Minetest would be a good alternative.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-05-2015 01:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MD3 models are certainly possible, but they won't be lit with lightmaps and they're non-solid, so you'll have to come up with some solution for that.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 01-09-2015 07:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
... and they're non-solid

Or actually, you can only have collisions boxes (I don't even know if the collision boxes can be rotated ?)

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-09-2015 08:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don't MD3 have collision set automatically?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-09-2015 09:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Definitely not. In-game entities work with collision boxes and md3 geometry (part of the level) needs to be clipped off with (invisible) clip brushes in Radiant.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.