Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        Set up Q3A GPL so that it can be debugged in VS 2010 Express

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Set up Q3A GPL so that it can be debugged in VS 2010 Express

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-01-2014 10:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Has anyone done this before? Googled debug Q3 in Visual Studio, and I only find threads about setting the compiler to Release so that it can compile in the first place.

I can compile the debug configuration fine, but I'm not sure where exactly to put the files so that when I run the exe I can attach properly. VS keeps trying to run Splines.lib, and I am not sure how to disable that portion of the solution so that it doesn't get debugged, and only parts like Quake3, Game, and Cgame get debugged. Would that even work? Does that even make sense?

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 12-02-2014 12:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry, I use ioQuake3, I work with notepad++ and I use the minGW technique to get it compiled ... and I never tried the 'debug' build parameter ...

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 12-15-2014 11:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just guessing but I think you need to remove it from the quake 3 project references

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-16-2014 04:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

also make sure those splines are reticulated.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-16-2014 05:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

People under 25 years old won't understand that joke.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-16-2014 05:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, and while I was typing that my 26 year old colleague was watching over my shoulder and asking why I was Googling SimCity's releasedate :smirk:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-16-2014 05:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that makes me feel both old and special.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-27-2015 03:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I haven't looked at it in a while, since I've been busy.

Just now. I right clicked Set Startup Projects, and changed it to quake3 from splines, then unloaded splines and ui.

After that, i set the Output in the Linker option to c:\quake3\quake3.exe,

then changed the Config Props > debugging folder and file options to point there.
Also changed the pdb and map files to to drop there, too.
obj files end up there as well.

So there's a ton of stuff in the main q3a folder. I'm wondering if this is all correct, but the debugger wouldn't load up a compile Q3 without the exe and pdb there. Aren't objs used in debugging as well?

I know it probably sounds amateurish, but I just don't think I'm going to get through implementing what I'm trying to do without being able to debug. Basically, I'm trying to do something similar to what D-Meat was trying to with the 6dof movement. Been wanting to do something like that since I made a similar mod for QuakeWars.

So does that all sound correct? Any suggestions?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-28-2015 04:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Strange thing going on.

So ignore that. I've discovered something more important. I restarted with a fresh install of the game and source, the compiled .exe upgrades my 1.32 to 1.32b, but afterwards it always crashes. What's going on?

http://i.imgur.com/gissifj.jpg

asked my friend google what "int VM_CallCompiled(vm_t *vm, int *args)" meant and I found the problem.

:> Just had to add sv_pure 0 and set all the /vm commands to 0 in the argument line.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-06-2015 07:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ganemi wrote:
:> Just had to add sv_pure 0 and set all the /vm commands to 0 in the argument line.

Which argument line? If these are left undefined I thought they have default values they fall back to?

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 06-22-2016 04:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1.32b works fine on my end with the VMs...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.