Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        q3map2/light.c teardown

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: q3map2/light.c teardown

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-03-2014 05:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I inadvertently made a new thread in the level design/modeling forum to revive efforts on q3map3 but I'm not sure how to move it here. More to the point of that thread, is the tearing down and documentation of q3map2's most time-consuming process, light.

I've been looking through light.c which seems to hold a lot of the secret sauce that makes light maps happen, though the structures used in that code are like being hit in the face with a pile of phone books. I believe it was Misantropia that once told me the biggest hurdle would be to understand how the code is doing what it's doing, not just the code itself. He appears to have been correct.

As I go through the code, I'm wondering if other people have a solid understanding of what's going on in there or already have it documented somewhere, though I haven't seen any as of yet.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 12-24-2014 01:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yo. Just saw your thread over on LEM.

There was never really anything of any substance posted to github. The little code I had ended up writing never got pushed to the repo.

A number of things came up around the time I was working on that which pulled me away from the project.

Looking back on the project I'm glad I had set it aside. Some of the stuff I'm reading now has me asking myself "why?"

I can't believe it's been 3 years already.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.