Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        Server storing player stats in an external file

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Server storing player stats in an external file

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 03-03-2015 03:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been wanting to have a server be able to store player statistics in a simple file on the hard drive. I figured I would mimic the behavior of how cfg files work, in that it is a file written to te drive that stores keys and values. The key would be the player's name or something and then I can assign a value to it. But after looking into this it's not as simple as I would think it. Has anyone done work in this area and can point me in a direction that could save a lot of time/grief?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-03-2015 11:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Look into the way single player progress is stored. It's a very basic string based key/value array format but there's functions to simply add data to it and read from it. In my mod EntityPlus I've used this to store level scores. I think EntityPlus' target_finish entity is a good starting point to figure that out

Last edited by Eraser on 03-09-2015 12:55 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.