Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        What are the best tools for learning a new codebase?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: What are the best tools for learning a new codebase?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-08-2015 03:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is pretty intense.

http://i.imgur.com/aKWZfVj.jpg

That's not the particular portion of code I'm skimming through, but is there any better way to understand the code that I am using?

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 12-08-2015 06:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eeeh ... Your brain ?

Personally I just dig where functions are connected using the search tools of my beloved notepad++.

One really useful thing is to print up with colours the variable definitions (specially the gentity_t) so you can check it up anytime !

I remember writing down some functions to really tick in what's going on.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-09-2015 06:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Get a good IDE like Visual Studio (the community edition is free)

What I usually do is come up with some very simple features I'd like to add or edit, something that won't require you to refactor half of the internal data structures. Preferably it's something that you can point at in a user interface or in the game and say "I made/changed that". It allows you to learn some of the flow through the code. That way, you can gradually dig deeper and make more abstract changes in due time.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-11-2015 12:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm finding doxygen, winmerge, and vs10 pretty useful for figuring things out.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.