Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        Need make AAS file. BSPC-GUI not make it, way ? Please HELP

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Need make AAS file. BSPC-GUI not make it, way ? Please HELP

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-13-2016 09:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Need make AAS file. I.am use BSPC-GUI v0.05, i'am choose BSP after AAS file and choose function "optimise AAS files" and press process file.. and a have -
BSPC version 1.7, Dec 22 1999 19:37:59 by Mr Elusive
optimizing: E:\dc_map01.aas to E:\dc_map01.aas
error loading aas file E:\dc_map01.aas

This is all (bsp and aas) from DREAMCAST

Someone can help me ? way BSPC-GUI not work

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-14-2016 03:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmm, there are many reasons why creating an .aas file can fail. This question has often been asked already. Best to search this forum to find some help.
Here are some quick guidlines:

1. You need a map completely sealed from void. This means you are not allowed to have a leak in your map.
2. The map should have at least an info_player_deathmatch entity (spawn point).
3. Than you must create a .bsp file (this is a compiled version of your map file).
4. ONLY if this .bsp file is okay (e.g.: there is no leak in your map), than you can create an .aas file from your .map/.bsp file.

COMMON MISTAKES:
Please note you need a.bsp file to create an .aas file! This means as soon as you don't have a .bsp file, you will also fail to create an .aas file.
The .bsp file MUST reside inside the directory/folder you are pointing at with BSPC-GUI (best practise is to have .map and .bsp files inside your baseq3/maps folder).

So, probably you should do the following steps first (specifically related to your problem):

1. Search this forum to see many more guidlines for how to compile aas files in general (or have a look at the Gtk Radiant Manual: https://icculus.org/gtkradiant/document ... appn_c.htm).
2. Upgrade to a newer version of bspc. Your version is 1.7, use 2.1h (ships with Gtk Radiant 1.6: http://icculus.org/gtkradiant/).
3. Check if the .bsp file is inside the directory you have configured BSPC-GUI to look at. For some reason your aas file is not loading (as the message during your bspc process says). Either there is no .aas file to optimize at all, or bspc can't find the .aas file.
4. Compile your .aas file with the -v switch (-v stands for verbose, and will give you some additional Information about the compiling process).
5. Check if the Dreamcast maps are compatible with bspc (I'm not sure if this is the case). Probably bspc can't read the Dreamcast bsp version? Though. I don't know this exactly.
6. Optimizing .aas files is the last process in the compiling chain. This means .map => .bsp => .aas + eventually optimize your .aas file. So you first Need an .aas file before optimzing it. It's not clear to me if you already have an .aas file?

Additional notes:
There are several ways to compile .aas files:
a. By using a 3rd party tool (bspc-gui, Q3map Toolz, Q3map2 Build, etc.) The advantage by using such Tools is that you have a GUI with checkboxes to enable/disable all the relevant Switches.
b. You can compile an .aas file even by using Gtk Radiant (menu->bsp).
c. Start bspc via command line, every time when compiling aas.
d. Most professional, but a bit more complex is to use .bat files (batch files).

About the Dreamcast thing: There is a guy called coltonquake3, As far as I know he ported all Dreamcast maps to vQ3a. Unfortunately I can't find a specific thread where you can find him. Have alook at this forum, he mentioned his attemts to make all Dreamcast maps playable (inclusive new .aas files) all over the place, unfortunately mixed with many other posts, so there seems to be no real central thread about this topic. That's why I don't like mixing all topics together. Anyways, you will find him, and eventually can contact him.
I bet he can really help you much, with all the Dreamcast related problems. He recompiled all .aas files already, see his Spearmint posts: https://forum.clover.moe/t/turns-out-fo ... m-issue/34.

Sidenote: Always be careful when (re)using/optimizing maps that aren't yours (e.g.: Dreamcast maps)!

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-14-2016 07:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm already download the new version of the Dreamcast mappack for Q3 (dc-mappackv2.0.pk3, dc-mappackv2.11.pk3, dc-mappackv2.13.pk3) And no one cant work!! I cant see this maps on menu, when i creat the server. I have Q3A v1,32. Did you know way ? this pk3 file cant work

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-14-2016 08:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmm, the maps don't have corresponding arena files if I remember correctly. Other than that I don't know why they won't work.
So if you want to have them selectable in your menu, you need to add (arena) script files.
Open the console and try to start a dc map from there. The command is: \map mapname e.g.: \map dc_map01
Other than that I have no idea why the dc pack won't work. I really think the packs should work, you simply have to start the maps from console or make the arena scripts.

EDIT: Ah, and make sure to put the packs into the correct folder (baseq3)! If the packs aren't there you can't start the maps even from console!

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-14-2016 09:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"put the packs into the correct folder (baseq3)!" That i know! I try repack (dc-mappackv2.13.pk3) on pk3 file again, maybe not correctly him packed but they not won't work too. I use "PK3 Explorer_DmdMd2Converter".
I think you're right!, need to add (arena) script files, i am going to try..

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-14-2016 10:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's working! It's working! I add scripts in pk3 folder/scripts/arenas.arena (file) And now i see the maps in server menu. Thx ToKu !!

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-14-2016 01:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If someone need this script: In pk3/scripts/namescript.arena (.arena is file format). on a text editor
I wrote:

{
map "dc_map01"
bots "Slash Uriel"
longname "Agony"
fraglimit "20"
type "ffa team tourney"
}

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com