Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        Any chat media related about Q3 gamecode programming

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Any chat media related about Q3 gamecode programming

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 08-25-2022 05:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi, isn't there any channel/chat related to Q3A gamecode programming/development? :question:
Like in Discord and IRC... Maybe some active forums, too...

I found Quake 3 Defrag server of Discord, but it isn't related to all/general Q3A gamecode programming and looks more focused on defrag subjects.

But I can post some questions here in the programming section, right? Althought I dunno if anyone will barely answer and give solutions to solve the questions about gamecode.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-25-2022 05:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I recently got an email from someone asking me about EntityPlus, and they invited me to their Quake 3 Discord: https://discord.gg/quake3

I haven't joined it so I don't know what it's like in there, but maybe it's what you're looking for?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 08-25-2022 06:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I recently got an email from someone asking me about EntityPlus, and they invited me to their Quake 3 Discord: https://discord.gg/quake3

I haven't joined it so I don't know what it's like in there, but maybe it's what you're looking for?

I'm searching for a chat where I can find people asking for help about gamecode related.
ioQuake3 and Quake3e are more focused on the engine code.

Looks like this invite link you mention, hardly talk about Q3A programming.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-25-2022 10:59 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's more a broader Discord server actually, programming may or may not be in a specific channel. However, Q3W does have its own Discord. Though invite link isn't quite public, but you can ask for it.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-26-2022 12:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:
It's more a broader Discord server actually, programming may or may not be in a specific channel. However, Q3W does have its own Discord. Though invite link isn't quite public, but you can ask for it.

There's no channel dedicated to programming there either.
Truth of the matter is that interest in Quake 3 has waned a lot. I really don't know of any mods that are being actively developed right now. The game is 22 years old, it's no surprise really.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-26-2022 12:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Any mods? So EntityPlus is discontinued? :(

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-26-2022 01:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, it never really is. But truth be told, outside of myself, there's just very little interest in EntityPlus as well. No one's making maps for it and (almost) no one is playing it. So there really isn't a driving force for further development. It has been like this for years now. The only reason new versions of the mod have appeared is because I needed features for maps I had been working on myself or ran into bugs while making those maps.

So in short, unless anyone is making a map for the mod and needs new features (or someone comes up with good feature ideas in general) there's no incentive for me to do anything with the mod. And honestly, that "anyone" is most likely going to be just me :)

Maybe somewhere in the near future I might find some inspiration to make a new level (that inspiration has a habit of coming back from time to time), and that might mean new features in EntityPlus, but right now there's nothing going on just yet.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-02-2022 09:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:

There are.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-07-2022 09:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:

Sorry to give a short and sooner answer before.
We're recreating Bid For Power, one of the first mods of Q3 era (1999 - 2002).
The source code was lost and we're retrieving with programming gamecode.
Any contribution to accomplish the main goals is welcomed!

Thread: 54933

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 09-07-2022 11:12 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gave you an answer there :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-08-2022 01:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

quake3e's discord could be very helpful for you - https://discord.gg/VQ6GUz3T

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-08-2022 01:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LegendGuard wrote:
CZghost wrote:

Sorry to give a short and sooner answer before.
We're recreating Bid For Power, one of the first mods of Q3 era (1999 - 2002).
The source code was lost and we're retrieving with programming gamecode.
Any contribution to accomplish the main goals is welcomed!

Thread: 54933

Bid For Power... you mean you're recreating the mod which suddenly stopped development due to receiving a cease and desist order? What could possibly go wrong?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-08-2022 01:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

themuffinman wrote:

Bid For Power... you mean you're recreating the mod which suddenly stopped development due to receiving a cease and desist order? What could possibly go wrong?

We're only recreating the source code, not the assets. If the name is under BFP, we maintain the team credits according author rights.

It has been stopped because they influenced DBZ videogames and did something commercial without author permission. This made the devs remove their models and assets from their project and change into others non related to DBZ. After that, barely, they continued the project, but it has been left years.

The source code didn't go wrong by that, it has been lost 'cause the programmer doesn't remember nothing where is and doesn't find. I talked to the programmer about that.
If you want some details, ZEQ2-Lite is the sucessor, but it isn't considered as a game project, it's a powerful character simulation. They use DBZ assets created by some external contributors and little bits of code, but it isn't near to BFP. Because the weapon collision, scoreboard and gamemodes were removed due their simulation objective. Rarely, it's a kinda Q3 mod simulation, not a Q3 game mod.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-08-2022 02:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I went to ask ioQuake3 channel in Discord, to see if I could ask anything related to gamecode and mod programming in Q3 and its answer is yes.

Looks like I've convinced them to allow it.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-19-2022 04:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There is a discord server where everybody can talk about any Q3 mods, most relevant is Q3 Reloaded.

Link: https://discord.gg/x68kfRm

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.