Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        So who has big plans for the source?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 08-21-2005 03:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I will steal the source and throw it in a volcano so it can reach the earth's core where implosion will follow thus destroying all copies of q3 :icon34:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-21-2005 11:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hopefully a group of modders with a large enough support base will be able to setup a CVS for the quake3 source, to firstly fix all the bugs and limitations (such as 64 players), and possibly have a codebase alongside it to spice up the graphics a little (real-time lighting, for example).

anyone know of one of these projects starting up?

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 08-22-2005 02:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice idea glossy.

I've been dieing to build a game I've been thinking up and this might work out well if I ever get off my ass.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 08-22-2005 09:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

glossy wrote:
anyone know of one of these projects starting up?

Here's one.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 08-26-2005 06:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"Quake III Evolution" (not sure yet on the name being final)
- 64 clients support
- 64 weapon support
- MP3 Support
- HTTP/FTP File Downloading
- Per-Pixel Lighting
- Limit maxfps to something like 130 or 150. *
- screenshot takes one in JPEG format and screenshotTGA takes one in tga format *
- Engine/Game Bugfixes **
- Quad team colored correctly for dlight and shader and weaponshader
- Flight purple shader and weaponshader + no more looping sound.
- New Ammo System which allows ammo sharing *
- Admin system game-side *
for starters i have:
Code:
admin status|addip|removeip|listips|map|gametype|timelimit|vote|mute|unmute

- banlist file support *
- Q3 and Team Arena Support *
- Unlagged
- Full DLL Support
- DLLs renamed to not conflict with q3. *
Code:
cgame_q3e_x86.dll | qagame_q3e_x86.dll | ui_q3e_x86.dll

- Gauntlet is a normal melee weapon no more of the checkattack crap. *
- trap_Cvar_SetLatched support to allow you to set the latched value of a cvar
- Q_vsnprintf supported outside of engine now. *
ex: Q_vsnprintf(char *, size_t, const char *, va_list)
- New Gametype: Reverse CTF (TA only) *
Quote:
Reverse CTF is basically the same as normal CTF except you take your flag to the enemies flag (requires their flag to be there)

* = completed
** = partially completed / working

Last edited by ensiform on 08-29-2005 06:39 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 08-28-2005 07:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

whee FreeCam stuff for demos.

Basically what it is:

Control origin / angle of camera during demo playback
    Look from that spot instead of following a player.

freecam_status
    freecam_origin_x
    freecam_origin_y
    freecam_origin_z
    freecam_pitch
    freecam_yaw
    freecam_roll

also added:

freecam_draw2d
    freecam_drawgun

Timbo
Timbo
PostPosted: 08-29-2005 05:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 08-29-2005 06:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

okay fine how about ogg support.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-29-2005 07:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is kind of offtopic, but regarding that mp3 licensing and stuff, does anyone know how Winamp can actually exist?

I know encoders like LAME are distributed as source-only because license fees only apply to binaries. But how does Winamp do it?

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 08-29-2005 07:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Winamp only plays it. Winamp Pro can encode in .mp but Pro has to be paid for so i assume it will be included in the price.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-29-2005 07:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

But as I understand it both decoders (players) and encoders fall under the patent. If they didn't then there would be no problem making Q3 support mp3 playback.

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 08-29-2005 08:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://www.newsforge.com/business/02/08 ... tml?tid=17

Quote:
The
controversy was created by the removal of this line in the old MP3 royalty licensing page (courtesy of Internet Wayback Machine) from the current version: "No license fee is expected for desktop software mp3 decoders/players that are distributed free-of-charge via the Internet for personal use of end-users."

But the lack of these few words on the latest version of the MP3 licensing Web site does not represent a change in Thomson's policy.

Quote:
Arland says Ogg Vorbis is apparently using this small Web site wording change "to get publicity," and that if Ogg Vorbis or anyone else wants to produce multimedia encoders and players and give them away, that's fine with Thomson. But he said Thomson does not do that and never has; that its policy has always been to allow free use of the company's MP3 patents in "freely distributable software" while charging royalties to all commercial software or hardware makers that use Thomson's MP3 technology.

Quote:
Arland says Thomson not only allows but encourages the use of MP3 technology in free client-side players. He also says Thomson has no plans to start charging royalties to producers of freely-distributed MP3 player software, and that "it would not be in our best interests to do so." But, he says several times -- using slightly different words each time -- the second you sell software or hardware that contains Thomson's patented technology, the company wants money, and this is not negotiable, GPL or no GPL.

And from their licensing page i'm guessing winamp either payed a one time fee or charges extra per copy for fraunhofer.

Quote:
mp3 patent and software license
This patent and software license license covers patents and mp3 software (Windows, MacOS object code libraries) developed by Fraunhofer IIS-A.
Decoder · US$ 0.75 per unit or US$ 60 000.00 one-time paid-up
Encoder / Codec · US$ 5.00 per unit

mp3 patent-only license
This patent-only license is needed in case the mp3 software is developed in-house or licensed from a third party.
Decoder · US$ 0.75 per unit or US$ 50 000.00 one-time paid-up
Encoder / Codec · US$ 2.50 per unit

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 08-29-2005 10:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

who said thats what it would be used for? mp3's are much smaller than wav files. :p

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 08-29-2005 01:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

true but ogg is also big :s

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 08-29-2005 01:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mp3 and Ogg are as small, both could be used I say. I don't think there would be any problems making Q3 support mp3 playback, some mods for HL1 does, some engines for Q2 I guess do that and maybe also Q1(?).

Timbo
Timbo
PostPosted: 08-29-2005 05:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why use mp3 when there is a comparable, non-legal mess alternative?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-29-2005 10:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Survivor wrote:
And from their licensing page i'm guessing winamp either payed a one time fee or charges extra per copy for fraunhofer.

Quote:
mp3 patent and software license
This patent and software license license covers patents and mp3 software (Windows, MacOS object code libraries) developed by Fraunhofer IIS-A.
Decoder · US$ 0.75 per unit or US$ 60 000.00 one-time paid-up
Encoder / Codec · US$ 5.00 per unit

mp3 patent-only license
This patent-only license is needed in case the mp3 software is developed in-house or licensed from a third party.
Decoder · US$ 0.75 per unit or US$ 50 000.00 one-time paid-up
Encoder / Codec · US$ 2.50 per unit

Winamp Free is freely distributed, so it would be free to use the decoder. Winamp Pro is a pay-for program and as such would be applicable to licencing fees.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 09-10-2005 07:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Timbo wrote:

On MS WinXP, is it really a problem - I thought you could playback through Directshow and/or other parts of the windows system like ACM because it comes with an MP3 decoder by default.

Just curiuos...

Timbo
Timbo
PostPosted: 09-12-2005 07:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That depends on whether or not you consider dependancies and platform specific code to be bad or not. The whole ogg vs mp3 thing really depends on how you use it. If it's intended to be an in game music player, I can fully understand why mp3 support would be preferrential. However, if it's simply for smaller media (sound effects or packaged music) I don't see any compelling reason to use mp3 over ogg.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.