Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        a poll, of sorts, from an ex raven guy

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-10-2005 08:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

jester! wrote:
I think that all the community at large would like is a small blurb.

"We are aware of problems X, Y, Z. We do not consider Y to be a problem but X, and Z are getting our attention and will be fixed in a later patch which may happen in AA days."

I hear you, I suspect there is a good bit of unrequired red tape involved with communication at most game companies.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 11-10-2005 09:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The reason people are pissed is because there didn't *used to be* some huge wall

It's a de-evolution that we're getting less communication now than we ever have in the past on any Quake game

A serious step back, particularly for the hardcore community

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-10-2005 10:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Raven != id

I dont really know what the relation ship is with this game. Is it an id game or Raven game? I have to assume that it is Raven who we are dealing with directly because if this was an id game completely we would have had some word by now I have to imagine.

Perhaps its Activision getting in the way again, or perhaps we are all just impatient... :dork:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-10-2005 02:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

who cares

played it 10 times..

next....

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-10-2005 05:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1) yes
2) 8
3) SP: It was enjoyable, great graphics and atmosphere...also the combat is pretty satisfying up until the latter stages (the makron was easy to beat for an ending boss) but the storyline is a little too simple. I liked the stroggification part, but what followed afterward was a kind of farce - people who never saw you before just always recognized you as Kane instead of shooting at a strogg (which is what would be realistic in a war)... but anyways... sp isn't what i'm looking for in a game, so it was well done, but obviously not as well as for example hl2, fear, etc.

MP: Huge optimization and balancing issues. First of all, at least for me, fps is lower in MP than in SP. Maps aren't really optimized for good play. Second, what's with the railgun? From what I hear, it was already stupidly powerful in q3, yet for q4 you make the hitboxes larger, walking speed slower, but make the railgun FIRE FASTER?? where's the logic in that? In addition, the maps that shipped with the game are, for the most part, horrid. Space maps are pretty much useless and not fun, while most other maps are quite unfit for competitive play. Luckily, however, the game has a solid base which I believe can be improved upon. But unfortunately, right now MP feels, to say the least, unfinished.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-10-2005 06:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Interesting a post seems to be missing... :icon26:

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 11-10-2005 09:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

jester! wrote:
Interesting a post seems to be missing... :icon26:

Not sure what it was but things deemed innappropriate (or just annoying) can and sometimes will be deleted by the mods or admins.

:icon26:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-10-2005 11:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It was a Raven guys post. Perhaps there is a total Raven <-> Community blackout? :tear:

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 11-11-2005 05:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tormentius wrote:
Not sure what it was but things deemed innappropriate (or just annoying) can and sometimes will be deleted by the mods or admins.

:icon26:

I always leave a comment.

btw cocks
btw cocks
PostPosted: 11-11-2005 08:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol yeah, right, there's a Raven <-> Community blackout, that's why I post here

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 11-11-2005 08:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Do you know, if I type in 'Quake 4 Forum' into google, There's no link to Raven's official forum.

If I go to quake4.ravengames.com, there's no link to the forum. I even asked google what links to forums.ravensoft.com, and I got a single result.

rgoer, you posted here before Quake 4 became relevant. Raven doesn't seem to have any established liason with the multiplayer community for Quake 4. Certainly from the perspective of myself and most I've talked to... and I spend time with the game and the community. If someone's clued in to what's available out there, it's likely to be myself or the other persons heavily involved inthe community.

Give us a clue then... I'd quite like the URLs for Raven't developer diaries, .plans, blogs.. whatever. Some form of feedback I can look at and see what the plan is for a patch, whether there will even be one. Mebbe some official game servers? A list of known bugs.

I'm prolly wrong, they most likely exist on the web somewhere.. but I'll be fucked if I can find them.

btw cocks
btw cocks
PostPosted: 11-11-2005 08:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

By "here" I meant the Q4D forum in particular; I wouldn't be here if we weren't allowed.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 11-11-2005 08:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, it wouldn't be so bad if we'd at least have something like a .plan . Looks like Raven is just having an extremely reserved attitude about making their plans public. :icon8:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-11-2005 12:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

rgoer wrote:
lol yeah, right, there's a Raven <-> Community blackout, that's why I post here

All I know is that I have read many calls for a response on several concerns and havent seen them yet other then you in the binding and script thread.

Will r_singlelight be unlocked for multiplay?
Are the sound issues being looked at?
Will the amount of data being sent upstream which is lagging many people out be tweaked, or made tweakable?

I am sure you have seen the compiled list of issues people have made here, on your own forums which like Foo has stated are somewhat difficult to find, http://forums.ravensoft.com/ib/ikonboar ... ct=SF;f=10
and at esreality. And even though I know they are being seen, I do not know what the position of Raven is on any of it. Do I have a right to know? Of course not. Its not like by purchasing the game we all signed a contract that we would have meetings every friday, with patches every other week. However it is something which has in a way become expected in the Quake community and like a said a simple 2 sentance post would go a long way, and a .plan/blog would go even further.

Now a Raven employee did leave a post, and I must assume deleted it, why? I dont know so with my experience thus far with a lot of community questions and very very few developer answers I have to think maybe he isnt supposed to interact with the community? Who knows, its not like his post was out of control all it said was that the threads are being read. Am I blowing things out of proportion? Most likely. :dork:

I mean why pull down the info about the SDK? It was up, people were excited, and then it was down and still is. Which leads to my final question, when is the SDK coming out?

All we can do is wait, and if the developers do not want to take the time to answer our questions that is fine, but the perception that they cant or wont is there and I dont see why it shouldnt be at this point.

btw cocks
btw cocks
PostPosted: 11-11-2005 12:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you'll just have to be patient

gears are turning, it's just still a very busy time here

information will get out there when the time is right

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-11-2005 01:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fair enough.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 11-11-2005 01:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anyone else feel they bought a beta test for an x-box game?

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 11-11-2005 03:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

not everyone. I hate when people post like they are representing everyone. Remember to each there own.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 11-11-2005 03:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You changed anyone to everyone.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-11-2005 03:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ppp wrote:

the game is also for a console. therefore, any bugs found in a game is purely due to it being multiplatform

im so sick of this logic >:E

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 11-11-2005 03:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
ppp wrote:

the game is also for a console. therefore, any bugs found in a game is purely due to it being multiplatform

im so sick of this logic >:E

Again, not the point he was making.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-11-2005 03:27 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i think it was actually. it may be a beta of a game, but to dub it 'xbox' just for the heck of it makes no sense

either way my point still stands, foozl :p

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 06:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

rgoer wrote:
you'll just have to be patient

gears are turning, it's just still a very busy time here

information will get out there when the time is right

rgoer is a good man :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.