Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        q4 is a complete mp failure...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: q4 is a complete mp failure...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 06:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

its really amazing considering how big it once was...check out the servers...i'm only filtering out password/empty and <100ping servers...

[lvlshot]http://home.austin.rr.com/gandm/q4dead.JPG[/lvlshot]

foo...if u edit this post i will destroy u...

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 06:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

and how many <250 ping servers are there? Just a serious question, you don't need to give me one of your obligatory replies.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 06:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Strange I always get tons of server to play on. I am using Xfire's Quake 4 server browser.

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 06:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I hate to say it but Geoff is right. When Q3 came out, there thousands of servers within the first week.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 07:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i was dissapointed

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 07:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Survivor wrote:
and how many <250 ping servers are there? Just a serious question, you don't need to give me one of your obligatory replies.

who cares..i don't wanna play on those...

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 07:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I disagree with your 'complete failure' assessment. I've been having a blast playing online every night for the past few weeks.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 07:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the game is good. if you liked quake3 i don't see how you wouldn't like quak4 after spending a little time with it.

people area little more spoiled today compared to back then. they just won't play a mp game that has inconsistent framerates and spotty net performance.

imo, if they allow people to crank down some settings and give them some fps it may have a chance. out of the box the way it is, sadly, it's not gonna take off.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 08:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hex wrote:
I disagree with your 'complete failure' assessment. I've been having a blast playing online every night for the past few weeks.

so ur saying since u like it its not a complete failure? thats great but its about as easy to find a q2 game these days and q4 just came out...thats what i'm talking about...not how good or bad the game is...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 08:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shadd_ wrote:
the game is good. if you liked quake3 i don't see how you wouldn't like quak4 after spending a little time with it.

people area little more spoiled today compared to back then. they just won't play a mp game that has inconsistent framerates and spotty net performance.

imo, if they allow people to crank down some settings and give them some fps it may have a chance. out of the box the way it is, sadly, it's not gonna take off.

thats all nice and good but still no one is playing it...

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 08:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Everyone knows the secret to FPS Online Success is including at least one Gun that looks like an AK-47. :icon32:

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 08:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not so sure kquery finds all servers tbf.

From reading other posts, involving peope having similar problems (albeit in Europe), it seem likely that kquery and ASE (case seems worse with ASE) are indeed missing a fair few servers.

I've had no problem finding a game over here, just my fps to sort out now :)

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 08:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i have tried 5 or so browsers...all about the same give or take...

xchaser
xchaser
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 08:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have to say this but I agree and I am one of the biggest quake fans but id/raven screwed us with this one giving us a broken server browser in the game and no news to whats to come.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 08:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Freakaloin wrote:
shadd_ wrote:

thats all nice and good but still no one is playing it...

i agreed with you.

moron alert!

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 09:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i just meant ur gay and off point...questions?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 10:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

From the sales posted on planetquake I think there probably are plenty of people who have the game, but when it comes to mp if the game doesnt run, and no 30fps is not good enough, I am sure they quit.

The player base is there though and if Raven releases a good point release we can hopefully see a lot more players.

OR JUST GET THE SDK OUT! :dork:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 10:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it runs bad for ppl? seems like of the fastest running games i have played in a while...and the levels load fast as shit...

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 10:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The levels load fast but the maps were not finished very well. They have the ability to have lights be a different level which can be turned off, but they didnt make use of this so its often all the lights or none of them which unless you have a top of the line comp means it runs like shit.

I think a lot of people are giving it a shot, but it doesnt scale well and thats turning people off of the game. Then again maybe everyone is just playing CoD2, CS, BF, WoW, ect ect and nobody wants to play an old school FPS...

Shit the ingame browser is probably enough to turn off a ton of new players.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 10:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if they had, had a public test of the mp portion alot of things could have been avoided.

I get the max server amount when using the ingame browser, but theres only about 5 that actually have people on them any time during the day.

there are still more people playing q3. more than there used to be just before q4 came out from what I can tell...guess they went back after being so disappointed in q4.

I really want this game to be as good or better than q3, but I dont see that happening..atleast unless they fix all this stuff thats oh-so-very-wrong in the mp.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 10:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I get 32 servers using <60ms, non-passworded, and 1 or more players. Poor indeed.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 10:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Q3A has 113 servers using the same rule.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 10:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Blame the other 13951395813913636 multiplayer enabled games that have collectively split up the global player base.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 10:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also, I've heard a shit load of Q3 players went to play wow last year... so unless we destroy that pos gayme they won't be coming back for a while...

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 10:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Freakaloin wrote:
Survivor wrote:

who cares..i don't wanna play on those...

Try one of two of them..

Ive found that a few dozen of those 200-300 ping servers, are in fact USA server that ping well.. once i get in 50ish pings.. O_o

It curdled, and then I couldn't drink it. So I mixed it with some water, and it was alright again.

I am now sick.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 10:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dzjepp wrote:
Also, I've heard a shit load of Q3 players went to play wow last year...

Thats just sad...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 11:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dzjepp wrote:
Also, I've heard a shit load of Q3 players went to play wow last year... so unless we destroy that pos gayme they won't be coming back for a while...

q3's coming up to its 6th? b-day and is holding on against games like hl2

dont know many games which have achieved this but i cant see the q3 community completely dying for a little while yet

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 01:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
q3's coming up to its 6th? b-day and is holding on against games like hl2

dont know many games which have achieved this but i cant see the q3 community completely dying for a little while yet
Me neither. I find it hard to say how well Q4 is gonna take off the coming year though. I think the number of players and servers will keep growing, especially once some good mods come out.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 02:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

riddla wrote:
The problem with Q4:

Good SP, but no real replay value.

Only decent MP, with CTF players getting the shaft yet again (which could have been a windfall community if paid attention to), and no considerable MP content which is what keeps people coming back to play. I'm already quite tired of the same maps over and over and the more I play the more I notice the gameplay/weapon balance is not all that.

Anyone reading who loves CTF, grab LRCTF (see sig links) and get on the email list, we'll get up some decent-sized games yet...

that's grapple though right? no offense but the grapple just doesn't appeal to me.

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 02:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The day a quake game has a lrctf'ish ctf is the day I quit quake.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 03:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wow

im still using the in-game browser and i have at least (no joke) 40+ servers that i ping UNDER 30 to...and probably over 100 within a 30-80 ping range. i almost never have trouble finding a game that i wanna play (CTF, DM, etc)

at first i was getting 15-20 fps and even then i didn't give up. the game JUST came out. when q3 just came out - everyone said it sucked and went back to Q2 for a while ... let the game evolve... jesus christ. theres so much bitching about things .. like you really expected the game to be perfect on ship.

i upgraded to an amd 64 3700 with a 6600 GT and i get 50-60 fps non stop with a decently tweaked CFG... so FPS is no longer a problem. yes there are things that need and will be fixed... give it some time.. the game hasnt even been out a month and you're calling it a failure? this game will be huge online just like its predecssers [sp] give or take a few months. give it TIME...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 03:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hood-ire wrote:
wow

im still using the in-game browser and i have at least (no joke) 40+ servers that i ping UNDER 30 to...and probably over 100 within a 30-80 ping range. i almost never have trouble finding a game that i wanna play (CTF, DM, etc)

NOT WITH PPL ON THEM...AND DON'T LIE AND SAY U DO...MMKAY?

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 03:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Quake series has sadly taken a hit for one reason only, imo. Most casual or amateur gamers become frustrated with Quake online because the seasoned players dominate them. Players play, get frustrated, and move on. Counter-strike appeals to so many because there’s not that feeling of despair and frustration. Unreal Tournament is the same concept, but it’s more competitive the Counter-strike, but less dominated than Quake.

I see this situation unfold time and time again. I play against average Joe gamer and after several good rail shots, they leave the server probably never to return again. The more vocal ones accuse you of being a bot or hack.

The reason less people play Quake is the same reason less people play Major League baseball compared to church league softball. Major League baseball is an admittedly better, more entertaining, and skillful game, but softball is able to reach a larger audience because more people can compete - just lob it in there.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 03:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry, did you just say that Counter-strike had no dispair? are you mad?

i am yet to see a CS player that dosent hit shit/yell/leave in a Tantrum from the game..

there is a diffrence from being Dominated Vs getting Frusterated..

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 11-12-2005 03:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

::sigh:: Take things in the context they're mentioned. I mean they don't get frustrated to the point they stop playing.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.