Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        Quake 4 PR 1.3 Information

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

xchaser
xchaser
PostPosted: 06-28-2006 05:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lean or bobing left to right while sidestepping is not a quake thing. I don't know if others like or dislike but I for sure don't like and would like to see it be a client option to remove it not a server side.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-28-2006 08:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what do you mean 'is not a quake thing'? you mean it was never a part of the quake series until q3 pr 1.27?

i personally like the visual cue playerlean provides in q3 in terms of aim prediction. bob and playerlean (opponent) are totally different things.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 06-29-2006 04:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

there are already so many mods around, then you also wanna add these new gametypes...

you spend more time in new gametypes then fixing q4's real problems. fps,sound,net...

you dont really listen to what community says, thats why q4 will always be a game with almost no players.

90 % of all negativ forum post are about that the game feels slow, laggy, buggy.

insteead of fixing that best you can, lol you add gametypes that noone is gonna play.

good luck with 1.3 patch id.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 06-29-2006 04:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think its digusting, 1.3 was suppose to be 4 weeks after 1.2, but then people said "we don't mind waiting if you get 1.3 correct".. id took that response and went off to spend time on something else unrelated to Q4.

id only had 1/2 a patch to do, yet they are only now starting it.. typical.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 06-29-2006 06:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Id had 1/2 a patch to do because THEY WERE WAITING FOR THE OTHER GUYS TO FINISH THE OTHER HALF... sigh.

*presses mute*

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-29-2006 07:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

prince1000 wrote:
what do you mean 'is not a quake thing'? you mean it was never a part of the quake series until q3 pr 1.27?

i personally like the visual cue playerlean provides in q3 in terms of aim prediction. bob and playerlean (opponent) are totally different things.

The lean is what made trick jumping look so freaking cool.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 06-29-2006 08:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GODLIKE i'm fully aware of that. so plz stfu.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-29-2006 09:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

KO wrote:
I think its digusting, 1.3 was suppose to be 4 weeks after 1.2, but then people said "we don't mind waiting if you get 1.3 correct".. id took that response and went off to spend time on something else unrelated to Q4.

id only had 1/2 a patch to do, yet they are only now starting it.. typical.

id doesn't owe anyone anything, in that they can legally get away with having no support whatsoever. you should be grateful they're even attempting to fix anything in q4 even if it's in a round-a-bout way.

i do agree with the poster above you however. q4 does not need new gametypes. primary focus should be bugs and gameplay, with maybe some added features as enhancements though again, secondary.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-29-2006 09:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ganemi wrote:
prince1000 wrote:

as far as look, without it the playermodel lean it looks 'unrealistic', not that q4 need be steeped in realism.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-29-2006 09:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

KO wrote:
GODLIKE i'm fully aware of that. so plz stfu.

i dont think you are.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 06-29-2006 10:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

prince1000 wrote:
id doesn't owe anyone anything, in that they can legally get away with having no support whatsoever. you should be grateful they're even attempting to fix anything in q4 even if it's in a round-a-bout way.

lol. I can legally get away with doing many things morally wrong and damright rude, etc.. that does'nt mean its ok to do it.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-29-2006 12:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey, STINKerror!! rofl jk

http://www.quake3world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21217

By the way, dude. The gibs and dead bodies need to be around for longer. They scarecly hit the ground before disappearing.

prince1000 wrote:
Ganemi wrote:
prince1000 wrote:

as far as look, without it the playermodel lean it looks 'unrealistic', not that q4 need be steeped in realism.

Yep, and it really added the effect of "man that dude is really haulin ass" when you rocket jumped across q3ctf4.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-29-2006 06:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also, I thought the lean came in handy when anticipating an enemy's movements. Maybe that'd only work for Quake 3, because in Quake 4 it seems that there's alot less consequence for moving in a direction. Whenever you watch a player move back and forth he looks like a walking stick and it's difficult to anticipate his movements sometimes. : \

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 06-30-2006 06:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

prince1000 wrote:

Yeah.. Not seeing the lean can make circle-strafing wars a bit more random.. I'd like to have it back, too.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-05-2006 01:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If 1.3 doesn't come with bots ... you'll see a wave of people playing the version to check it out, and the same wave leaving in a couple of weeks because of empty servers.

For arena games like Quake and UT, bots are essential to keep a server busy. It's the main reason Q4 has a bunch of empty servers with a few of them packed with players.

xchaser
xchaser
PostPosted: 07-05-2006 03:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think that pm_bob should be a client not server choice like pm_bob 0|1 making the lean a client choice. I would make mine pm_bob 0.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 07-05-2006 06:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

iluvquake4 wrote:
If 1.3 doesn't come with bots ... you'll see a wave of people playing the version to check it out, and the same wave leaving in a couple of weeks because of empty servers.

For arena games like Quake and UT, bots are essential to keep a server busy. It's the main reason Q4 has a bunch of empty servers with a few of them packed with players.

1) Quake 3 servers: Not Packed.

2) It's not happening, pal. Really not. Bots are a whole other development thing, and a LONG development thing. Id and Raven (and a mysterious Other Party) are continuing to support the game and fix bugs (please, please god, fix the sound).. But they're not bringing bots into the game. Significantly more likely: Santa is bringing you John Romero's hairpeice for Christmas. Now, let it go. Breathe. It was a nice thought, and... stop having it. There you go.
:icon34:
Not that it wouldn't be nice. It would. It would be nice for somebody to dig up that guy who made Gibstats, too, and write a meticulously detailed reporting tool that prints out html with gorgeous charts about how everybody played (I'd settle for one that summarizes a whack of statisticslog.txt files, Id, if you're listening). I would be nice if the dedicated server console log had all those nice messages that appear in the console of a listen server, like "Tormentius ate Godlike's rocket".. In fact, it would be nice if those SAME messages appeared on the screen as well as in the console log. It would be nice if the "spectating" message was at the top of the friggin' screen instead of dead center, ruining any decent chance of screenshots. It would be nice if we had GTV support. It would be nice if you could set basic criteria for searches in the in-game browser, like "don't show me servers with ping over 400", or "don't show me servers that running a mod I don't have".. Sigh.

There are lots of easy to implement features that would enhance the game, and are worth asking for. But bots.. which would take a team of coders about a year to get decently "right".... It's just not worth getting up on your soap box about... There are too many easy-to-implement changes on the wishlist wayyyyy before anybody is going to think about doing something really expensive and long term to bring into the game.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 07-05-2006 10:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

(Actually, I can't stop playing it.. I'm driving for six hours on Saturday to LAN, even..) :icon25:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-06-2006 12:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not interested in excuses. I'm just mentioning that the lack of bots is killing servers and keeping them empty. If ID is interested in keeping their loyal fanbase around, they will create the bots no matter what investment it requires. If they don't care, well, then it won't happen and most of us will move onto other games. It seems they hired a developer to work on 1.3, during that time bots could have been created. I seriously doubt it's a money issue, they have plenty of it. If money was an issue to them, they would have never released RTCW:ET for free. There's more to this and we may never know the actual reasons behind the design decisions.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 07-06-2006 01:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I dont think RTCW:ET was supposed to be free, and certainly the q4 1.3 patch wasnt either.... they do however know enough about things to know when they should cut their losses and accept that they arent gunna make money on something, so might as well give it away for free rather than slaving away for another year to then have nothing to show for it.

Bots will come, but not from id.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 07-06-2006 02:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GODLIKE wrote:
(Actually, I can't stop playing it.. I'm driving for six hours on Saturday to LAN, even..) :icon25:

Yeah, it should be a good time once the destruction/construction part of it is done.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 07-06-2006 07:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bots keeping server alive? you think..?

"By the way, dude. The gibs and dead bodies need to be around for longer. They scarecly hit the ground before disappearing."

i totally agree... all that work on the models and once there dead you cant even inspect the bodies :( and boy do those models look amazing when compared to doom3

the whole lag thing seems to be tied up with the doom3 engine...
lets hope they fix it for et:qw's or im gonna be really pissed off :( (well not pissed off just sad... where i live we dont have lans and stuff so i rely on internet play... waaaa sad face :(

oh and please stop tring to like... play the "if you dont do what i say the "loyal" id fans will stop playing your games" shit... its just not true. positive encouragment is a better way to get them to do stuff.... keep on saying its daed... the servers are empty... and it would not suprise me if they did cut there losses... imo

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-07-2006 12:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm quite positive and I talk with SyncError in IRC regularly. But I'm not going to stop stating an opinion because it sounds negative. It's true, they will lose their loyal fanbase of Quake players if they don't fix the game -- female models, bots, liquids, etc.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-07-2006 05:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

iluvquake4 wrote:
I'm quite positive and I talk with SyncError in IRC regularly.

Tell him that Ganemi says hello. And when he says, "Uhhh, do I know him?" say, "Ofcourse you don't, stupid face!"

Gah. I forgot to mention two things. There's a third, but I'm forgetting it now, even.

There seriously needs to be more leeway when a player strafe jumps to a ledge. So often I hit the edge and fall down on a jump that definately would've been made with ease in Q3. I'm not saying that you up the speed of the game(Which would be nice, anyway), but it should be easier to land simple jumps. It's like...if the very bottom edge of your bounding box(or whatever) doesn't hit the top of the platform, then you're done. It's over. You've failed the jump, pack your bags and GO HOME. Not that dramatic, but you understand, don't you?

Also, give us a tankjr/keel/cyborg model or something. I hate it when someone sneaks up on me in Ra4.

Hmmm. There was something else... Hrmmm.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 07-09-2006 05:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so are you saying your crap at jumping?

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 07-09-2006 06:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

(Clearly the source of this problem.)

seta player_practicealot "1"

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-09-2006 06:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i would like to see the height of pov closer resemble that of q3.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-10-2006 12:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GODLIKE wrote:
(Clearly the source of this problem.)

seta player_practicealot "1"

That requires finding a non-empty server. :icon25:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-10-2006 12:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fKd wrote:
so are you saying your crap at jumping?

I strafe jump perfectly fine. The problem is that it's far more difficult to climb over a ledge than it was in Q3, which is incredibly annoying.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 07-14-2006 04:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Original post updated with new information on Point Release 1.3 from id software's website.

July.14.2006

Quote:
With the upcoming release of the QUAKE 4 1.3 Point Release we’re making great strides in tuning and tweaking the QUAKE 4 multiplayer gaming experience based on feedback from the people playing it the most.

We’re implementing a number of community requested features and actual gameplay changes to QUAKE 4 gameplay which will provide a faster, smoother, and more highly competitive experience that we hope particularly appeals to those playing QUAKE 4 regularly and/or competitively, but also makes the game even more fun for new players. You can expect increased mobility and control, improved performance with ambient lighting options, and weapon alterations that advance playability and challenge competitive players.

We’ve noticed several LAN and competitive events considering what games to use for their future events, and we would encourage players and organizers to give 1.3 a try – we think you’ll like it. We feel these competition friendly changes, coupled with an all-new gametype, a new weapon, and several professionally made maps will extend the life of QUAKE 4 for all players. We’re currently in a small, private beta test of the point release and hope to have it out publicly sometime before QuakeCon.

Source: [ id software ]

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-14-2006 05:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Seems like they are using code from DeltaCTF. I could be wrong.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-14-2006 06:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

By the way, guys...Uhhh... Every time you kill someone with the Quad Damge, they gib automatically, no matter what weapon you use. I could imagine there's a good reason for this, but, you know, it's annoying.

The gauntlet. It doesn't feel like it attacks instantly. You must hold it down for about a quarter second before it actually becomes active. Maybe it's the lag, but I can hardly tell because there's no hit animation, just a +attack animation.

*shrugs* That's all I got for now.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 07-14-2006 09:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

a new weapon?

sweet! :]

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-15-2006 03:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

jayP.lq wrote:
a new weapon?

sweet! :]

That is pretty cool. Nice going, guys. >: ]

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 07-15-2006 06:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i hope its a double barreled shotgun :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.