Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        Quake 4 PR 1.3 Information

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake 4 PR 1.3 Information

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 05-25-2006 03:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

July.14.2006

Quote:
With the upcoming release of the QUAKE 4 1.3 Point Release we’re making great strides in tuning and tweaking the QUAKE 4 multiplayer gaming experience based on feedback from the people playing it the most.

We’re implementing a number of community requested features and actual gameplay changes to QUAKE 4 gameplay which will provide a faster, smoother, and more highly competitive experience that we hope particularly appeals to those playing QUAKE 4 regularly and/or competitively, but also makes the game even more fun for new players. You can expect increased mobility and control, improved performance with ambient lighting options, and weapon alterations that advance playability and challenge competitive players.

We’ve noticed several LAN and competitive events considering what games to use for their future events, and we would encourage players and organizers to give 1.3 a try – we think you’ll like it. We feel these competition friendly changes, coupled with an all-new gametype, a new weapon, and several professionally made maps will extend the life of QUAKE 4 for all players. We’re currently in a small, private beta test of the point release and hope to have it out publicly sometime before QuakeCon.

Source: [ id software ]

June.26.2006

Quote:
So another month has gone by and as some of you may have seen in my latests posts in the QuakeCon thread, there have been some new developments on the 1.3 Point Release. Last week there was supposed to be a new build of the 1.3 patch available for me to test (both myself and with a small group of private testers). I, unfortunately, fell very ill Thursday night and wasn't able to go into work Friday. Today is Monday, I still really don't feel well yet, but anyone that knows me I typically go to work as long as I am able to actually stand up. So here I am, came in a bit earlier than anyone else so all is still quiet. I imagine that later today once Jason comes in, I'll be talking to him to find out if we received the new build for me yet.

This new build, I have personally deemed the "1.3 half-patch". Meaning that this is supposed to be the completed form of the first half of the patch, the part that has been made by a third party which includes a new gametype, new game settings, new maps and a few other things. This patch will be privately tested a bit while at the same time we here at id start adding in all the goodies that people have been wanting for oh so long. But, while the I say the patch is "half way done" that does not mean that it should take another X months to complete the patch. Our "half" shouldn't take too long at all.

Now I would like to make a request for all of those reading... Consider this perhaps your last chance to voice your opinions on what to put in this patch, but once again if there is anything people would like to stress for us to put into the 1.3 Point Release... have at it, right now, right here in this thread. Yes, we already have our old long list of features people have wanted, I'm not asking for a rehash cause its all been forgotten or set aside. But I would like to know if anyones priorities have changed, if maybe somethings are more important than others since this discussion was made.

I am tweaking the potential changelog and will be turning in all of this requests within 24-48 hours so that we can get to coding.

And that is for now, where we are with the 1.3 Point Release.

May.25.2006

Quote:
Today there was a new build of the Quake 4 1.3 Patch. We spent some time playtesting the new content, playing about 8 matches in each gametype (Deadzone, Tourney, Team Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, Arena CTF, Deathmatch and then Deadzone again) -- playing on both some of the existing maps as well as a few of the new ones. In about 2-3 of the matches of each gametype we also tested the latest changes to the 'Buy Mode' option.

Things went well and the patch is shaping up. At least this portion of it. We still have a ways to go as all the new content in here is a second parties contribution whom is finishing up their work before handing it over to us for us to add our portion of the patch.

I'm highly looking forward to what's to come. The current new content additions seem to be well coded and crafted but also as many might suspect is definately going to be more welcomed and accepted by the casual player. In other words, I hope that 1.3 is a patch that brings the product to a new level -- bringing new content for casual players, gameplay adjustments for the competitve player and maps for everyone.

I can't answer many of the questions that people have atm. Is this or that in the patch? When will the patch be out? There simply aren't answers. id has discussed many of the changes and additions that we might consider for 1.3, but besides that our end of it has currently been in testing and perfecting the new content that is being provided by this unnamed second party.

Everything in this post has already been made public by others in the community. People have seen test servers running with Deadzone, with new map file names and have seen and posted several of the new cvars available in this portion of the 1.3 patch. I wish I could provide you all a closer play by play as to the makings of this patch, however, it is currently too early to do so. But I'll do my best to answer questions as things become possible to do so.

Source: [ ESReality ]

Last edited by Bugsy on 07-14-2006 05:17 PM, edited 7 times in total.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 05-25-2006 04:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bugsy wrote:
....bringing new content for casual players, ..
Bots?!

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 05-25-2006 04:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I certainly hope id will stop being conservative about gameplay changes. If they want to get people to get actually excited to play the game... They'll have to change some things to make the game feel fast again, that's for sure. Camera height, running speed, ground acceleration all need to be tweaked to sensible values.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 05-25-2006 08:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This looks very encouraging... :icon25:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-26-2006 04:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

deadzone and a buy option. what, like CS?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 05-26-2006 08:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The 'buymode' definately doesn't play, feel, or even remind you of CS when you're playing -- but I would admit that the concept is similiar in that you gain points which then allow you to buy better things. Buymode isn't a gametype, its a setting that can be used in any gametype (DM, CTF, TDM, TRNY, DZ, etc).

Deadzone is an entirely new gametype. A lot of people have made an attempt to guess what it is, assuming its a 'Defend and Conquer' domination type of gameplay. And while Deadzone might find some roots in such gamedesign it stands apart from all such gametypes with a different twist making it unique.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 05-26-2006 08:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow the first PR for Quake 4 i've been excited about, thats great news to hear.

I know its to much of a dream to ask for liquids and females models :( But hell, i can wish...

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-26-2006 04:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hm. Directional, model dependant gibs.

*dodges a tomato*

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-26-2006 04:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi SyncError,

Any progress with liquids, swimming, and female models?

For water, please don't forget breathing and q3 style bubbles.

Thank you. :icon31:

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 05-26-2006 06:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
Female models

I can't believe they didn't think to add that from day 1.
Kinda like buying the computer, but not the monitor.
:rolleyes:

xchaser
xchaser
PostPosted: 05-27-2006 04:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I agree female skins been in quake since q2. Its like having a pool in your back yard on a hot summer day with no water.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-27-2006 10:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, and Slash's orgasm grunts are much needed. :icon25:

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 05-28-2006 06:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

iluvquake4 wrote:
Any progress with liquids, swimming, and female models?

Any possibility of bots being added for people to be able to practice offline ? I understand that they can be added by a mod team but I feel that they should be ,or should have been, included in baseq4.

That new maps and gametypes are being added for free is a great bonus imo .Tho I must admit I'm not to excited to hear about the "buy mode" =/

Thank you for the update SyncError.If you could update us on the possibility of these things being added it would be greatly appreciated.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 05-28-2006 07:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

stop asking for bots, they will be coming in XBM/Q4max

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-28-2006 09:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

KO wrote:

How about...we keep asking for bots, and let ID do their job, rather than have the XBM and Q4max developers do it for them.

BTW, all this other new stuff you guys are adding in sounds pretty cool. Can't wait for 1.3. : D

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-28-2006 04:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

KO wrote:

People are free to request whatever they want. If it bothers you, just ignore the requests.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 05-28-2006 10:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
stop asking for bots

umm, no, please don't, it would be great to have 'official' bots for the game, and any other bots would be great aswell.

Bots and liquids, you can never ask too many times...

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 05-29-2006 02:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ganemi wrote:
KO wrote:

How about...we keep asking for bots, and let ID do their job, rather than have the XBM and Q4max developers do it for them.

You don't understand, somebody else IS doing it for them and from my point of view it very well may be xbm or q4max. This is being developed by a third party, remember? That means a completely seperate entitiy that will be working solely on this point release, which means most likely a vast amount of material to be released. I would not be surprised if they brought in one of the modding community's heavy weights rather than someone else who has been completely uninvolved in the game.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 05-29-2006 02:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Na, its not us, and I'm pretty sure its not xbm or any other mod team. SyncError said its effectively a missionpack (TA style - or at least the beginnings of one?) but given for free - which means its most likely another commercial games company who were commissioned to create the content.

Note that its not gunna be solely this 3rd party doing the work for the PR, id will be fixing bugs etc, just that they didnt create this new gamemode.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 05-30-2006 06:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, i read it was in development at Ritual (I think?). One of the guys who was working on it before it got canned posted some of his concept art.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 06-26-2006 06:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Original post updated with new information from SyncError of id software.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-26-2006 07:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I keep telling you guys...model dependant directional gibs.

Word!

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 06-26-2006 07:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Female Models.

Fix missing/lagged sounds. (Creative Labs is evil. I know... but something's got to be done).

Fix dedicated servers getting "stuck" between maps in maploop.

Please.

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 06-26-2006 08:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So theres still no mention of weapon balance tweaks, or other specific gameplay changes yet, eh?

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 06-26-2006 09:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fix the fucking demosystem! GOD, incredible that it still sucks so incredibly ass.

xchaser
xchaser
PostPosted: 06-26-2006 09:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pasted from ESR: on a convo he had their on the Quakecon2006 post.

Comment #82 @ 15:01 EDT, 24 June 2006
(iMsg, Edit, Reply) By SyncError +++' - Reply to #42
There will actually be a lot of 1.3 info coming in the next few days, however, let's look for a moment at your words.

If I give out information, and then timetables change for various reasons, and then you insist on calling that a "break of contract", why in the world would I want to keep giving out information? Wouldn't that just be setting myself up for more insults and attacks from you if things change or don't pan out that way?

Regardless, things with 1.3 are finally starting to move and there will be some information made available Monday.

he makes perfect sens. Too many damn idoits out their for him to give info out and then rant and whine if they don't meet the time/day.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 06-26-2006 09:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GTV
- Graphical charts/graphs for stats. (for such things as amount of time in lead, flag time, etc)
- Intergrated shoutcast
- Ability to insert text and image info for players or tourney.
- Fixture page.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-26-2006 09:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bugsy wrote:
....bringing new content for casual players, ..

There are no more casual q4 players :X

xchaser
xchaser
PostPosted: 06-26-2006 09:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 06-27-2006 01:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Btw, I do still keep quite current with Quake3World.com and other sites, ESR has just proven to provide sheer numbers when it comes to feedback. But I am highly interested in what EVERYONE has to say about Quake 4.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-27-2006 02:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What I'd like to say about Quake 4 that you probably don't hear often enough these days...

I like it, though it needs a few fixes. Thanks for caring and keep up the good work.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-27-2006 06:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cg_showplayerlean
uncap fps @ 60 (most unlikely i presume)
allow empty weapon switching (not like q4max/xbm), ie; once you switch to an empty weapon the next available weapon comes up if you try to fire. i dont play baseq4 but it seems like that should be standard.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 06-27-2006 09:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"cg_showplayerlean"

I have never seen similar thing in Quake....

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 06-27-2006 09:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SyncError wrote:
Btw, I do still keep quite current with Quake3World.com and other sites, ESR has just proven to provide sheer numbers when it comes to feedback. But I am highly interested in what EVERYONE has to say about Quake 4.

And having read the long, long lines of general vitriol on ESR about the 1.3 patch, I stand positive that you get enough negative feedback (and why are people still asking about 60 FPS another year after Doom3?).

Thanks for hanging in there and trying to read the actual feature requests amid the long queues of people bashing the game (yet, they took the time to show up at a Q4 forum to DO it, so you know they harbour a deep desire for elegant Quake deathmatch..)..

I'm playing Q4 every week. It's not bad, in fact it's pretty damn good.. I just would love for the remaining bugs to be fixed (the real bugs, not just the "things that are different from Quake 3 OSP").

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-27-2006 09:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ver1tas wrote:
"cg_showplayerlean"

I have never seen similar thing in Quake....

Quote:
cg_showPlayerLean <0|1>
Allows the disabling of viewed model leaning that was introduced in the q3 1.27x patches

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.