Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        Q4 server admins: 1.3 tweaks?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Q4 server admins: 1.3 tweaks?

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 07-31-2006 03:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anybody notice a little more chop after upgrading to 1.3? I wonder if I need to adjust my configs, somehow..

Anyone?

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 07-31-2006 04:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

using the same cfg atm - it did seem slightly choppier, but i have re-introduced pb, so that stands to reason.

I'll take a closer look at things over the coming week and see what info i can glean

xchaser
xchaser
PostPosted: 07-31-2006 05:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I know that it makes different when I add r_forceAmbient 0.4 and set the r_gamma to defualt and r_brightness to defualt. :icon14:

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 07-31-2006 09:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not really a tweak: I increased the app priority on the server.. and my chop appears to be gone. Now, I just have to figure out private slots, cos my server has been FULL all day.. kinda weird. Good weird.. but weird.
:icon25:

Admins with more experience than me: seta net_serverMaxClientRate "3686" .. Good? Bad? I definately set it higher than this for LAN.. but seems okay on my DSL for 5ish players.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-31-2006 09:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Best tweak:

Use Linux. :icon31:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-01-2006 09:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Agreed. After building a couple nix gameservers, I wouldn't even use windows if that was the only choice. Just wouldn't be right.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 08-01-2006 10:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

(I run a LOT of stuff in here, and it's all on one big dev server, running Win2k3. Dedicated servers for games would be swell, but it's not what we have... And I like WinGroupPolicy, and I wouldn't be without it.)

One thing I DO notice.. the server hasn't borked between maps, yet.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 08-01-2006 11:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah i have yet to see a pvs error \o/

/me crosses fingers ...

Incidently we run q4 on winbox and a debbox - windows was not my choice either, it was more a legacy i inherited - and I had to pester hard to get one switched to debian.
I can't honestly say i prefer windows in any situation - although it is handy to have the consoles all available (and devoid of spam) when i login.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.