Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        post 1.3

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

Primal screamer
Primal screamer
PostPosted: 08-03-2006 06:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

quake3world.com quake 4 server plz

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-04-2006 06:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

4days wrote:
i like the gauntlet in q4, the contact feels a little more satisfying than q3's.

The gauntlet in Q4 does not come close to q3's in terms of satisfaction, or in terms of anything, really, and this is coming from someone who likes to average 15 gauntlet kills in any 20 minute CTF/DM game. When you attack, you have to be far too close to the enemy for it to be worth anything. Some hits don't register, when you stand within range of the enemy and wave the mouse back and forth. The HIT sound is so confusing, since there are two. It seems there is one that means the client thinks the gauntlet contacted the enemy's armor, and the actual hit sound that means you did hit. The hitsound of the gauntlet making contact and the actual hitsound sound too much alike, and they're played at different times causing confusion. Another thing is that the there's an animation that plays when you attack, rather than you hit, so that adds to the confusion. The last thing that I can remember is that... well, the gauntlet doesn't light up. : [

The only thing that saves the gauntlet from being utterly useless(but not impractical) is being able to crouch slide and check someone into a wall.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 08-04-2006 08:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ganemi wrote:
I think the game is getting better. Yesterday I played Q4's version of q3wcp14, and I jumped from the flag to the YA area with out trouble(Which I usually get in Q3). And I absolutely love the napalm gun, new gametypes, and new game modes(bring 'em on >: D).

On the other hand the game glitches ALOT. Half the time it doesn't start up and I have to taskmngr it. I have a gig of ram a 7900 GT and a dual core 3800+, but I can't run the game on the same settings in MP as I do in SP with the same FPS. If 6 players get on screen my FPS will start to crash to 20 from the smooth 60. And even when I get 60 FPS the game just doesn't look smooth enough.

See that? 18 FPS, and there's barely any action. That's super not cool. And that wasn't taken as a .jpg. It was taken as an uncompressed .tga. : [

I'm kinda sad, because I was pretty GD eager to grab Q4, but a week after playing it I drifted back to Q3. Ofcourse, I never said "Mother fucking shit balls! This game blows, I'm giving up on ID and Raven and Blah Blah right this INSTANT." It makes sense to wait for this game to get fixed and all that shit, since it's on a new engine and what not. Regardless of getting fixed or not, it's still pretty frustrating that the game was missing stuff that the previous Quakes had. : \

I'll continue playing and waiting for updates, and I hope that the developers feel free to add more weapons and gametypes that fit into the whole Quake theme. >: ]

(Quote snipped a little..)

I agree the bugs are frustrating, but I'm glad you're actually PLAYING the game, rather than just bitching about it. I'd like to have a go at your system, almost, because I ALSO have a X2 3800 and a similar-gen vid card.. and I haven't had 18 FPS, like, ever. Maybe if I turned 8x AA on. Not that I'm saying it's "your issue".. but I simply haven't had the same experience. Now that my sound is tweaked to work well, I have basically no performance issues that aren't caused by network bandwidth.. and there's always a half-second hitch about four seconds into a round, but I think that's PB.

At least, you're talking about your points intelligently, and not just spamming crap about the game. I think some of my perf issues don't exist because of my net connection, too.. I have pretty good bandwidth, and I realize not everybody does. That, and I play about 1/3 of my matches on my own server.. and I'm on the same LAN segment.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.