Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        post 1.3

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 08-02-2006 08:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

KO wrote:

Evolution, we've had 125fps for years, we no longer play on 56k modems on flakey servers, using 100dpi mice, looking at a 50hz 15" 400x400 monitor. Today it has to be smooth.. especially for fast FPS. Otherwise is looks and feels worse than ever before.

What you're saying is that you're used to playing on an old game engine at top performance with hardware more than up to the task but you're sniveling because a new game doesn't give you the same performance on your (probably dated) hardware. Suck it up and upgrade or tweak your system. Its not like the options aren't available.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 08-02-2006 08:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:

I'm starting to understand why some of you are struggling to see why Q4 was such an utter failure, given you can't grasp very basic comparison and analysis.

Other people just happen to disagree with it being a failure you pedantic little twat.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-02-2006 09:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Didn't you recently go off one one and practically get me banned for flaming in T&T? I got vague recollections of you stickying and editing some of my posts to boot.

The least you could do is be consistent.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 08-02-2006 09:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

First, you weren't banned for flaming in T&T you were banned for being an ass after both raw and I told you to drop it.

Second, this isn't T&T and I'm not a mod here. Riddla is free to delete any posts he finds offensive.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 08-02-2006 09:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is a fun thread.
It makes me want to dance.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 08-02-2006 09:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol. Okay.. Better. :icon31:

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-02-2006 09:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tormentius wrote:
First, you weren't banned for flaming in T&T you were banned for being an ass after both raw and I told you to drop it.

Second, this isn't T&T and I'm not a mod here. Riddla is free to delete any posts he finds offensive.

I ain got time for your excuses cause I'm eating... It'd be good for you to come down off the blind fanboy defence routine into the world of backing stuff up with points, and accepting other people's points where appropriately backed up without spiralling off into name-calling. Self control is a useful ability, especially for stopping yourself looking silly.

You're gonna be doing more harm for the game than helping it along in any way if you're more interested in forcing your own viewpoint through irrespective of all evidence, than people who can bring the problems to the table, isolate them, and if not help this game along any then certainly provide a roadmap of things that went wrong for future developments to bear in mind.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-02-2006 09:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And yeah, I know....

If it gets beyond you, I'm pedantic

If I bring another game in as a comparison, that game's 'shit'

If I bring in the previous games in the series, I'm a fanboy who'd never be pleased.

I think that about covers it.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 08-02-2006 09:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm through dancing; now it's time for some yummy watermelon.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 08-02-2006 09:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:

I ain got time for your excuses cause I'm eating... It'd be good for you to come down off the blind fanboy defence routine into the world of backing stuff up with points, and accepting other people's points where appropriately backed up without spiralling off into name-calling. Self control is a useful ability, especially for stopping yourself looking silly. You're gonna be doing more harm for the game than helping it along in any way if you're more interested in forcing your own viewpoint through irrespective of all evidence, than people who can bring the problems to the table, isolate them, and if not help this game along any then certainly provide a roadmap of things that went wrong for future developments to bear in mind.

You obviously just found the time :icon27:. Its not a blind fanboy defense but rather a comment on the mentality of the rather vocal minority of players who have shite hardware or badly tuned systems and expect top performance. If you don't like it then either ignore it or disagree but don't expect me to not post a counter-opinion when those people are whining.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 08-02-2006 09:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

riddla wrote:
I dont expect top performance, the game just plain sucks ass merely from a feature-set pov. Gameplay really sucks as well. The engine is shit as well, so I dont even have much hope for ET:QW either.

Fair enough. My comment wasn't directed towards anyone who just plain out doesn't like the game.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-02-2006 10:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tormentius wrote:
[color=green]Its not a blind fanboy defense but rather a comment on the mentality of the rather vocal minority of players who have shite hardware or badly tuned systems and expect top performance.

That's a completely different thread of conversation to the one where you started replying to me.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 08-02-2006 10:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:

That's a completely different thread of conversation to the one where you started replying to me.

Are you talking about my point that the game will take time and multiple patches to reach the level of polish that Q3 has? That point still stands but congratulations, you managed to clue in to the fact that I made more than one point in a thread.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 08-02-2006 10:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pjw wrote:

ffs, that made me jump :)

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-02-2006 10:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tormentius wrote:
Foo wrote:

I ain got time for your excuses cause I'm eating... It'd be good for you to come down off the blind fanboy defence routine into the world of backing stuff up with points, and accepting other people's points where appropriately backed up without spiralling off into name-calling. Self control is a useful ability, especially for stopping yourself looking silly. You're gonna be doing more harm for the game than helping it along in any way if you're more interested in forcing your own viewpoint through irrespective of all evidence, than people who can bring the problems to the table, isolate them, and if not help this game along any then certainly provide a roadmap of things that went wrong for future developments to bear in mind.

You obviously just found the time :icon27:. Its not a blind fanboy defense but rather a comment on the mentality of the rather vocal minority of players who have shite hardware or badly tuned systems and expect top performance. If you don't like it then either ignore it or disagree but don't expect me to not post a counter-opinion when those people are whining.

it is not only hardware limitations that makes this game unplayable for so many people. personally, i can only duel/2v2 in q4max but i get solid 50+ fps with a really tweaked cfg. there's so many inherent things wrong with gameplay. compounded with sound issues, mouse issues, netcode issues and total lack of interest as a whole community (even 'pros' DREAD practicing this game) this game just isn't fun for a lot of people. fyi, there are plenty of people that have upgraded and know their way around a config and their computer that are experiencing the same technical issues i do on my outdated, q3-era xp2400/9600XT.

that's not to say ill never upgrade or play q4. if a year/6 months/next week from now the game is improved and people actually start playing then sure ill play it. the game is no longer on a lot of people's hdd's given it's current state.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 08-02-2006 10:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

riddla wrote:
I dont expect top performance, the game just plain sucks ass merely from a feature-set pov. Gameplay really sucks as well. [snip].

This interests me, at least, a teensy bit. Not MUCH interest, because I suspect we'll both tire of it instantly, but:

I play Quake 4 like three times a week, and I'm digging it.. I've played ALL the Quakes, and Doom3. While I'm no pro, I don't suck. And, I like Q4. A lot, even. In fact, I can't go back to Q2 or Q3, now, because it annoys me if I can't crouch slide... But anyway:

I might agree with you on features.. I miss a real console log, I miss GTV, and some other things, but:

Why (And please, please try to do this while saying something more useful than "it sucks") do you think the gameplay sucks?

I'm at least moderately interested.. You seem like you're not an idiot.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 08-02-2006 10:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pjw wrote:

Clearly, your clipart collection is mighty, and pwns all. :icon25: ++

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 08-02-2006 10:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'd have to completely disagree with that.

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 08-02-2006 10:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Who is Troll, and why is he stealing my Deadzone opinion? http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=1160018

I've got my eye on you. :icon6:

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 08-02-2006 10:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

RE: two posts up by Riddla..

That's at least coherent. I actually disagree about the weaps balance for 1.3, I think it's not bad (they COULD have nerfed the rail a tad, but that's me).

I don't play much CTF.. I'm a DM/TDM player pretty much purely.. So I won't shame myself by talking out my ass about it.

(LOL @ pic)

/me goes to do actual work..

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 08-02-2006 10:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tormentius wrote:
rather vocal minority of players who have shite hardware or badly tuned systems and expect top performance.

So thats what you think huh. Q4 does'nt run like shit.. its just our poor hardware.

An estimate would be around 1 in 50 gamers systems can run Q4 smoothly(constant 50-60fps). Whats your estimate Tormentius?

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 08-02-2006 11:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

KO wrote:

An estimate would be around 1 in 50 gamers systems can run Q4 smoothly(constant 50-60fps). Whats your estimate Tormentius?

There aren't any reliable statistics to back that assertion and you're pulling that number out of your ass. I won't even bother taking a guess since thats all it would be.

Just out of morbid curiousity what hardware are you trying to run Q4 on?

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 08-02-2006 03:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I run Quake 4 on a 3.06 P4 with HT, 2 gig of low latency DDR2, and a X1900XTX and I still get hitchy/lag while playing at 1024x768 medium quality. Playing with a ping of 20-40 as well. :(

Yet I run single player at 1280x1024 ultra quality with 16x AF and 4x FSAA and get 60fps everywhere.

Z

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 08-02-2006 04:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Zombie13 wrote:
I run Quake 4 on a 3.06 P4 with HT, 2 gig of low latency DDR2, and a X1900XTX and I still get hitchy/lag while playing at 1024x768 medium quality. Playing with a ping of 20-40 as well. :(
Z

Betcha on LAN you'd do fine.. Q4 is really, really picky about net traffic. Make sure you don't have SMP 1 and the lagometer on, though.. that still generates all kind of skitter in-game.

:icon26:

freakzilla
freakzilla
PostPosted: 08-02-2006 05:56 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

riddla wrote:
I dont expect top performance, the game just plain sucks ass merely from a feature-set pov. Gameplay really sucks as well. The engine is shit as well, so I dont even have much hope for ET:QW either.

Poor Tormentius never had the chance to learn how to play q3 properly so don't expect him to grasp the basics of a pure deathmatching experience.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-02-2006 08:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pjw wrote:
This is a fun thread.
It makes me want to dance.

Look FOO, here's a screenshot of UT!

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-02-2006 09:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HMMM i'm getting an average of 60 fps... but its still hitchy and lets face it... not fun.. q3 got to be polished because the raw 1.0 game was... FUN! this is just bad.. and the netcode licks big balls.

you cant polish a turd :)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-03-2006 05:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GODLIKE wrote:
riddla wrote:
I dont expect top performance, the game just plain sucks ass merely from a feature-set pov. Gameplay really sucks as well. [snip].

This interests me, at least, a teensy bit. Not MUCH interest, because I suspect we'll both tire of it instantly, but:

I play Quake 4 like three times a week, and I'm digging it.. I've played ALL the Quakes, and Doom3. While I'm no pro, I don't suck. And, I like Q4. A lot, even. In fact, I can't go back to Q2 or Q3, now, because it annoys me if I can't crouch slide... But anyway:

I might agree with you on features.. I miss a real console log, I miss GTV, and some other things, but:

Why (And please, please try to do this while saying something more useful than "it sucks") do you think the gameplay sucks?

I'm at least moderately interested.. You seem like you're not an idiot.

I think the game is getting better. Yesterday I played Q4's version of q3wcp14, and I jumped from the flag to the YA area with out trouble(Which I usually get in Q3). And I absolutely love the napalm gun, new gametypes, and new game modes(bring 'em on >: D).

On the other hand the game glitches ALOT. Half the time it doesn't start up and I have to taskmngr it. I have a gig of ram a 7900 GT and a dual core 3800+, but I can't run the game on the same settings in MP as I do in SP with the same FPS. If 6 players get on screen my FPS will start to crash to 20 from the smooth 60. And even when I get 60 FPS the game just doesn't look smooth enough.

See that? 18 FPS, and there's barely any action. That's super not cool. And that wasn't taken as a .jpg. It was taken as an uncompressed .tga. : [

I'm kinda sad, because I was pretty GD eager to grab Q4, but a week after playing it I drifted back to Q3. Ofcourse, I never said "Mother fucking shit balls! This game blows, I'm giving up on ID and Raven and Blah Blah right this INSTANT." It makes sense to wait for this game to get fixed and all that shit, since it's on a new engine and what not. Regardless of getting fixed or not, it's still pretty frustrating that the game was missing stuff that the previous Quakes had. : \

I'll continue playing and waiting for updates, and I hope that the developers feel free to add more weapons and gametypes that fit into the whole Quake theme. >: ]

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 08-03-2006 06:02 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sort yourself a nicely tweaked cfg with ambientlight 1 and you'll get 60fps all the time.

Primal screamer
Primal screamer
PostPosted: 08-03-2006 06:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

quake3world.com quake 4 server plz

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-04-2006 06:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

4days wrote:
i like the gauntlet in q4, the contact feels a little more satisfying than q3's.

The gauntlet in Q4 does not come close to q3's in terms of satisfaction, or in terms of anything, really, and this is coming from someone who likes to average 15 gauntlet kills in any 20 minute CTF/DM game. When you attack, you have to be far too close to the enemy for it to be worth anything. Some hits don't register, when you stand within range of the enemy and wave the mouse back and forth. The HIT sound is so confusing, since there are two. It seems there is one that means the client thinks the gauntlet contacted the enemy's armor, and the actual hit sound that means you did hit. The hitsound of the gauntlet making contact and the actual hitsound sound too much alike, and they're played at different times causing confusion. Another thing is that the there's an animation that plays when you attack, rather than you hit, so that adds to the confusion. The last thing that I can remember is that... well, the gauntlet doesn't light up. : [

The only thing that saves the gauntlet from being utterly useless(but not impractical) is being able to crouch slide and check someone into a wall.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 08-04-2006 08:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ganemi wrote:
I think the game is getting better. Yesterday I played Q4's version of q3wcp14, and I jumped from the flag to the YA area with out trouble(Which I usually get in Q3). And I absolutely love the napalm gun, new gametypes, and new game modes(bring 'em on >: D).

On the other hand the game glitches ALOT. Half the time it doesn't start up and I have to taskmngr it. I have a gig of ram a 7900 GT and a dual core 3800+, but I can't run the game on the same settings in MP as I do in SP with the same FPS. If 6 players get on screen my FPS will start to crash to 20 from the smooth 60. And even when I get 60 FPS the game just doesn't look smooth enough.

See that? 18 FPS, and there's barely any action. That's super not cool. And that wasn't taken as a .jpg. It was taken as an uncompressed .tga. : [

I'm kinda sad, because I was pretty GD eager to grab Q4, but a week after playing it I drifted back to Q3. Ofcourse, I never said "Mother fucking shit balls! This game blows, I'm giving up on ID and Raven and Blah Blah right this INSTANT." It makes sense to wait for this game to get fixed and all that shit, since it's on a new engine and what not. Regardless of getting fixed or not, it's still pretty frustrating that the game was missing stuff that the previous Quakes had. : \

I'll continue playing and waiting for updates, and I hope that the developers feel free to add more weapons and gametypes that fit into the whole Quake theme. >: ]

(Quote snipped a little..)

I agree the bugs are frustrating, but I'm glad you're actually PLAYING the game, rather than just bitching about it. I'd like to have a go at your system, almost, because I ALSO have a X2 3800 and a similar-gen vid card.. and I haven't had 18 FPS, like, ever. Maybe if I turned 8x AA on. Not that I'm saying it's "your issue".. but I simply haven't had the same experience. Now that my sound is tweaked to work well, I have basically no performance issues that aren't caused by network bandwidth.. and there's always a half-second hitch about four seconds into a round, but I think that's PB.

At least, you're talking about your points intelligently, and not just spamming crap about the game. I think some of my perf issues don't exist because of my net connection, too.. I have pretty good bandwidth, and I realize not everybody does. That, and I play about 1/3 of my matches on my own server.. and I'm on the same LAN segment.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.