Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        post 1.3

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: post 1.3

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 07-31-2006 06:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hahahah classic...

now i'm getting the sound delays.. i did not know what you guys were talking about... but now i do

random crashes.. mid game, crashes for no reason...

this is my sad face

:(

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 07-31-2006 07:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yep, around 1% of bugs were fixed. hardly any requests introduced.. I guess id were'nt prepared to spend time on this doomed game :<

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 07-31-2006 07:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tried this?

seta s_usedeferredsettings "0"

.. fixes my sound lag, no problems..

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 07-31-2006 07:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what's the deal with the jittery mouse? I hear you're supposed to turn vsync on (never), or set the refresh rate. The refresh rate command doesn't stick.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 07-31-2006 08:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hahaha ffs! mid a good game of deadzone... and i was winning... beating 2 chumps... then bang... quake4.exe has encounted a fatal error.. plop.. this is worst than before... and still, STILL high quality effects crashes on my ati raedon 9600 pro :(

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 07-31-2006 09:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

make sure everything is running ok if its a hot day. My shit was crashing too, it was just that my pc was running real hot. I opened the case and put my desk fan in there so that it blows the heat out, and no crashes yet.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 07-31-2006 09:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol... makes me wonder wtf these chumps have been doing for the last 6 or so months... playing pass the parcel? or maybe count the money, while laughing saying look ppl will play anything as long as we add quake to the name.. then as they drive home in their fancy cars, poor show..
i read somewhere "id has always stood for quality" hahahah not anymore! i have lost all faith...

btw... the rockets still suck ass.. the sound makes my ears hurt.. ouch! guess i will just stick to ra3.

quake4=uninstall

*throws rotten vegetables at id* fuck you guys!

xchaser
xchaser
PostPosted: 08-01-2006 04:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

All of you having problems I don't get it? I have no problems with sound or mouse. The game runs so smooth and it feels like q3 to me. I have a pretty old pc too.

amd 3200+ @ 2.2
2.5ghz of crucial mem
6800gt BFG with 256mb

I bet everyone that whines about how their game sucks doesn't meet the game requirements:

A. Minimum System requirements - PC
Intel®Pentium® 4 2 Ghz or AMD® XP 2000+ processor or higher
512 MB RAM [not 128MB RAM or 256MB RAM]
English Version of Microsoft®Windows® 2000/XP
100% DirectX® 9.0c compatable 64MB 3D Hardware Accelerator video card required [not 32MB]
8X Speed CD-ROM Drive and latest drivers
2.8GB of uncompressed free hard disk space (plus 400MB for for Windows® swap file) [this helps out alot]
100% DirectX® 9.0c compatable 16-bit sound card and latest drivers
100% Microsoft®Windows® 2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard, and latest drivers.
100% DirectX® 9.0c inlcuded

B. Multiplayer Requirements.

Internet (TCP/IP) and LAN (TCP/IP) play supported. Internet play requires broadband connection and latest drivers. LAN play requires network interface card and latest drivers.

C. Supported Video Cards.
ATI® Radeon® 9700
ATI® Radeon® 9800
ATI® Radeon® X300
ATI® Radeon® X550
ATI® Radeon® X600
ATI® Radeon® X700
ATI® Radeon® X800
ATI® Radeon® X850
all Nvidia® GeForce 3/TI Series
all Nvidia® GeForce 4/TI Series
all Nvidia® GeForce FX Series
all Nvidia® GeForce 6 Series
all Nvidia® GeForce 7 Series

Source
idsoftware

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 08-01-2006 05:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah same here. I dont have any problemes with the game at all.

I love this patch, I'll be playing Q4 alot more :icon32:

Pent. 2.8
1 gig ram
6800GT BFG

PS: I'm impressed that playing CTF on " Relativity" was not a grinding FPS destrying lagfest, GJ id :)

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-01-2006 07:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It seemed to run a bit slow but only because I'm running at 1600x1200. :icon32:

P4 3.0
2 GB
6800 GT clocked at Ultra

Had a few quick rounds of Deadzone with DooMer and a bunch of other people. Fun new game type! Took me a few rounds to figure out what was going on since I didn't bother to read the rules in the readme.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-01-2006 08:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I love the Napalm Gun. I've always wanted a mid ranged grenade launcher that had some weird un-quakish liability, but I never thought it could be introduced into the series smoothly. Gg, Ng. >: ]

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-01-2006 08:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

q4 also needs, among anything else:
BUG fixing, hit box fixing, movement fixing, sound fixing..

making the game faster and better adjusted is a great move, but there is still a loooong road ahead...

if id can't do it, they should just let the q4 rest in it's grave and if they care about it's gamers they should go on making q5
(as an arena, q3A game, enhancement) based on q3 engine physics..

so what if they've failed on making a good quake again,..
hopefully they'll learn from this,... like to care about it's community more, make the game for comm.
and not as a engine show-off (carmac is completly f---ed up .. has a completly wrong perspective about gaming)..
and we could wait a year-or-two for a q3 inheritor...

all that we need in a quake type game is in q3, the most imortant things:
-game physics (think perfect trick jumping engine, wsw is a good attempt, cpma is really good..)
-adjustability (especialy mouse movement, easy scripting for timers, easy hud personalizeing and creating..)
-great (and large) set of professionaly made maps
-good flexibility for demo show (multi-pov, rewind, slow-motion..)
-integrated mp3 :), in-game irc support
-nice basic video recording supp. (and that's what you would need good graphics with spec. effects, --->we don't need it for mp gameplay!)
-a place for gathering all the players in one place (think like world of warcraft and battle.net, clanbase portal, guild wars in-game comm.
--using the same place as a support for modders (the way hl2 does with it's steam servers)
-easy gtv and irc-bot support
-a goot html/php supp. for stats. and easy tournament management (players, played games demos)

q3 is really close to that, q4 will never be (obviesly),..
i think we can hope that we will get all this in game by community (enhanced q3) -- only probl. is no punkbuster supp. or if id guys take their heads from their asses maybe in a q5arena.....

Last edited by niko on 08-01-2006 11:03 AM, edited 1 time in total.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 08-01-2006 08:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is all of this true? http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=1158704

If so, ololz

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 08-01-2006 10:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anytime a game 'patch' is over 50mb, you know there are serious faults with it (q4, battlefield 2)

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 08-01-2006 11:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The bugs are those that have been there since the start. The patch didnt introduce any new ones. They don't effect gameplay, but I'm wondering why they still exist. I'd say the worst one is the server map list bug. At least I'm assuming that still exists. As far as gameplay goes, everything's great. It's just the little stupid shit that should work but doesn't, like the stats scoreboard.

Primal screamer
Primal screamer
PostPosted: 08-01-2006 11:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it runs real nice on my low end pc now

2.0GHZ AMD SEMPRON
GeForce 6200 256 mb
1 gig of ram

Deadzone is a blast, I pwned Doomer in it.

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 08-01-2006 12:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, Deadzone is awesome. It's not a novelty mode like I thought it would be. Theres some actual strategy involved. not so much on 16 player pubs, but I could see some really good matches involving tons of teamwork and coordination.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 08-01-2006 12:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

niko wrote:

i think we can hope that we will get all this in game by community (enhanced q3) -- only probl. is no punkbuster supp. or if id guys take their heads from their asses maybe in a q5arena.....

Oh ffs quit whining. Quake 3 took YEARS of patches, community input, mods, and skilled community mappers to get where it is now.

xchaser
xchaser
PostPosted: 08-01-2006 12:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tormentius wrote:
niko wrote:

Oh ffs quit whining. Quake 3 took YEARS of patches, community input, mods, and skilled community mappers to get where it is now.

I could not agree more with you. its a 10month game and q3 is a 9yr old game quit crying and move on if not stay behind. its your choice to do what u want. Stop crying u whiners

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-01-2006 12:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow. We've been over this ground a million times.

Q3 is indeed a 9yr old game, yet still superior to Q4 in terms of multiplayer quality.

We should be moving forwards not trying to catch up to where we were.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 08-01-2006 01:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:

Q3 is indeed a 9yr old game, yet still superior to Q4 in terms of multiplayer quality.

A new game written by different company with different staff on a completely different engine which is far more resource intensive isn't going to be the same as a highly polished and patched game from years before. If you know the first thing about development and project management you should know this.

Edit: Also consider that VQ3 isn't the golden standard in Quake. People usually did (and do) play a modded version which is something completely different again than what you can expect Raven or id to put out.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-01-2006 01:11 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tormentius wrote:
Foo wrote:

A new game written by different company with different staff on a completely different engine which is far more resource intensive isn't going to be the same as a highly polished and patched game from years before. If you know the first thing about development and project management you should know this.

Frankly not interested. It wasn't true of UT2004 or 2003 after UT. Nor was it true of HL2 or CS:S.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 08-01-2006 01:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:

Frankly not interested. It wasn't true of UT2004 or 2003 after UT. Nor was it true of HL2 or CS:S.

There are a lot of people who would disagree with you when it comes to UT. You and the rest of the whining masses probably wouldn't have been happy with anything other than a retextured version of Q3.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-01-2006 01:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh snap!

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 08-01-2006 02:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tormentius, you need to realise, sure we will get lower framerates, but when only one out of twenty people can run the game.. its player base crashes. Also a fast FPS game such Quake requires a constant bare minimum of 50fps.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 08-01-2006 05:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

KO wrote:
Tormentius, you need to realise, sure we will get lower framerates, but when only one out of twenty people can run the game.. its player base crashes. Also a fast FPS game such Quake requires a constant bare minimum of 50fps.

Players didn't have top framerates when Q3 was released and nobody needs to have them now (although it is nice to have without a doubt). But even if your system sucks with the new lighting options and other tweaks available you should be able to get at least 50fps.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 08-01-2006 06:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Its 2006 not 1995.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 08-01-2006 08:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

KO wrote:
Its 2006 not 1995.

And your point is what? Game engines still push the limits of current hardware so you can't expect top performance from lower end hardware (just like back in the day).

:icon27:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-01-2006 09:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:
Tormentius wrote:
Foo wrote:

Who really gives a fuck about UT? UT's graphics are good but the game sucks big time.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 08-01-2006 11:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no u

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-01-2006 11:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

KO wrote:
Its 2006 not 1995.

:dork:++

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-02-2006 03:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

zolborg wrote:
Who really gives a fuck about UT? UT's graphics are good but the game sucks big time.

It matters because it's a directly comparable peer to the quake series. Preference between one or the other is irrelevant to the comparison being made.

I'm starting to understand why some of you are struggling to see why Q4 was such an utter failure, given you can't grasp very basic comparison and analysis.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 08-02-2006 03:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

had a quick go on deadzone. the name is stupid but the game is pretty cool. haven't seen that buymode thing yet, not too keen on the sound of it tbh.

my mouse seems to be fucked in quake 4 and i couldn't be bothered to read up on fixing it, so i just stuck to the gauntlet until i could get the napalm - it was a very good weapon to use (especially when you can't aim quickly), but i was never on the receiving end of it to know what the damage was like. most of the other players on the server were much better than me, and that was amplified by my mouse troubles, but i was still able to control the napalm for very long stretches - which makes me think it might be too powerful?

i like the gauntlet in q4, the contact feels a little more satisfying than q3's. will have have another go later when i've got time to do the prerequisite research/tweaking, but starting to give up on q4 :( will hang onto it in case any interesting mods come out.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 08-02-2006 07:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tormentius wrote:
And your point is?

Evolution, we've had 125fps for years, we no longer play on 56k modems on flakey servers, using 100dpi mice, looking at a 50hz 15" 400x400 monitor. Today it has to be smooth.. especially for fast FPS. Otherwise is looks and feels worse than ever before.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 08-02-2006 08:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

(I almost read this entire thread? And then my head started to hurt. I realized I was actually getting dumber, reading this. So I'm going to stop.)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.