Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        MODS ????

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: MODS ????

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-07-2006 06:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I may sound like im bitching!, but is there any real benefit to using mods?

I often find that when im playing, i get get killed real easy by a few individuals.
It seems their weapons to more damage and they have more health.
This may be a figment of my imagination, but ive managed to see a few "on screen" texts between players that indicate that they have mods enabled.
Is it really true that punkbuster does not allow mods to be used? or IS there a way around it?
Why do most servers not have punbuster enabled when they write "on screen" that they are not cheating?
I am only a casual quake 4 user so when i do get chance to play i find that im always ranked 6th or lower depending on how many players there are.
I find that my gaming experience doesnt seem to be the same as the guys/girls who are winning, because they are the only ones laughing about it.
I feel for other casual gamers because its my opinion that the casual gamers will give up quake 4 and the game will be dominated by the mod users and hackers.
I realise that its just a game, but whats the point in spoiling it for everyone else?
I don't supose the mod users are yellow cowards who always come last so they have to cheat?
Maybe its the casual gamers who are cheating LOL!!!!!

:icon28:

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 08-07-2006 07:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

'mods' are installed/run on the server. sometimes they need to be installed on the client as well. they're not cheats though, just modifications to the game that affect all players on the server running the mod.

cheats take the form of external programs, not mods to the game. if someone's dominating the server, it's because they're lucky, they're a better player, they know the map etc etc. it's possible that they could be cheating, but if they were then they wouldn't be using a mod to do it, they'd be using some 3rd party app.

you can gain a big advantage in q3/q4 by becoming familiar with configuring the game - e.g. by playing with the graphics settings to make it easier to see what's going on.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 08-07-2006 08:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been called a cheater often.. And it's (probably) in cases just like yours. While it's arbitrarily possible that the guys who are beating you are in fact cheating, let me point out that this is not UT 2kX.. This is a Quake game. The gap between the beginner and the expert is a yawning chasm.

In the beginning, it will seem like the other guys are impossibly invincible. Their guns always seem to devastate you (because they aren't missing you) and they seem to be able to take a lot of damage (because your aim isn't as good, and they are picking up armour and health constantly).

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 08-07-2006 01:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fingermouse wrote:
Is it really true that punkbuster does not allow mods to be used?
Why do most servers not have punbuster enabled

No it isn't true ... PB works with mods just fine.

Dunno about most servers, but our servers not only run
Punkbuster, but also stream with Punksbusted.com.

Play a lil more, and learn to tweak your config ....
the game gets better in time :)
Stop into our servers sometime !

The Frostzone

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-07-2006 01:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

with q4, clients need the mod always, so no serverside mods anymore.
the enemy looks stronger, cuz he most of the time has 100 armor, and thus your weapon seems to take less damage.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-09-2006 08:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ok so i should try to familiarise myself with the game configuration... this sounds difficult but i bet(probably)that it is not.

Where can i learn more about the configuration according to my system setup?

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 08-10-2006 02:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.