Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        How the heck do you multiplayer?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: How the heck do you multiplayer?

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-26-2007 09:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Incoming noob questions. :)

Unfortunately for me, my multiplayer experience is more or less limited to (besides Q3A bot-matches) Blizzard games that have built-in connections to developer-created/hosted servers. So, after I finished the Q4 single player, when I clicked on Quake 4's multiplayer menu, I mistakenly thought something was going to happen—I forgot how "normal" games multiplayer.

"0 Quake 4 servers? Why are there no servers? This game isn't that old..."

Then I figured out that I must have to manually connect the game to a server. So I went hunting around the Internet to go find some. I found a list of Quake 4 servers... though kept looking for some kind of hyperlink that might launch the game and connect to that server. D'oh. Can't do that, I guess (I seem to remember some game I played a long time ago supporting that). So I tried to copy-and-paste the IP address into the game manually. Nope, can't do that either (no C&P). Hell, I couldn't even ALT+TAB out of Q4 to read the IP address again because ALT+TABing only shows me my taskbar! Gah!

Finally, I write the IP address down on a sheet of paper, launch Quake 4, and try to join the server. Nothing. It just never connects. So I close Q4 (since I can't ALT+TAB), disable my software firewall, and try it again. Still nothing. Getting annoyed, I just give up, and assume I'll figure it out later. (I guess it could have been the firewall in my router, but it hasn't been an issue with other online games, like WoW.)

So... is there a noob-friendly guide to getting into Q4 multiplayer games? And is there a good list of Q4 servers out there?

Thanks!

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-27-2007 01:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can use the ingame serverbrowser (although external ones are better) without a problem. Are you using the latest version of q4? ie, version 1.4.2? If not, download the "1.4.2 full" patch from http://www.idsoftware.com

Are you using the german edition? If so, whine at your governments overly restrictive laws.

Copy and paste works fine if the game is in windowed mode - I havent tried it in full screen mode for a while.

You'll want to grab q4max from http://www.q4max.com and you can also grab MAXBrowse, an external server browser from there. It should show a similar set of servers to the actual game though.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-27-2007 09:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ctrl-v doesnt work, but shift-insert works fine.

pro tip !

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 11-27-2007 03:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ctrl+v works fine for me..

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 11-28-2007 07:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Even on the non-latest patch I could still find servers.

I'd make sure you aren't blocking it. Even if it didn't block wow, you never know.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-29-2007 03:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

KaleiÐoscøpe wrote:
Even on the non-latest patch I could still find servers.

There are still a couple of servers running on most of the old patches, but there is a DNS related bug in all versions prior to q4 1.4.0 which means that sometimes you cannot connect to the master server to get the lists correctly, depending on how tollerant your DNS servers are to bad requests.

The same issue also affects connecting to the auth server, which means you'll just get a "waiting for auth" message when attempting to manually connect to a server, because it wont authenticate your CD key until you successfully connect to it.

But yes, it could be its simply a firewall issue.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 12-04-2007 01:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Updating Q4 fixed the problem. Thanks everyone!

(Not that I didn't get totally pwned or anything. :D )

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 12-04-2007 01:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

this is why I dont play Q4 >.>

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 12-04-2007 01:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sushi-X wrote:
this is why I dont play Q4 >.>

Because you need to download the latest version? Thats the same with all games ;)

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 12-04-2007 01:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No i nvr downloaded it at my house, went over to a friends house played it there... It epic fails in my eyes. :ninja:

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 07-30-2014 02:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i also not downloaded yet ..

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.