Quake3World.com Forums
     ET: Quake Wars Discussion
        What do we know about gameplay so far?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: What do we know about gameplay so far?

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 06-28-2006 03:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I loved the original RtCW, and I also enjoyed ET, but I found that ET changed a few things that didn't need changing. Splash Damage definitely brought their own flavour to RtCW, but I think they missed the point of id and Nerve's original to some extent.

I know they're including the Spec Ops class in QW, something I found was a completely unnecessary addition in Enemy Territory.
The beauty of RtCW's class system was how FEW classes were used. It took that Fortress feel and refined it. The Spec Ops was really just an optional class, and it removed the soldier class' only well defined role, that of sniper.
The extraneous junk attached to the Spec Ops class (disguise, satchel charges etc.) was of dubious value at most, and the mine spotting ability could just have easily been a Field Ops ability.

Did I hear that they've removed the experience system?
GOOD.
There's nothing like the winning team getting stronger over time through a game mechanic rather than player skill to ruin competetive play. I know mods came out for ET that enforced a "No XP" style of game, but it should really be possible to play competetively ut of the box. Yes, the XP system was great fun on pubs (until Field Ops or Panzer soldiers got maxed out), but it has no place in competetive play.

I'm worried about vehicles. I can't help but think they've been added purely because everyone else has vehicles in their game.
I need something to convince me that they're not just a gimmick.

Am I right in saying that they've combined the Soldier and Engineer class? This could be a good move going back to my point about refining classes. The soldier was always the most "aimless" class in RtCW / ET, and the engineer was only useful for one thing generally, so combining the two makes sense.

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 06-28-2006 05:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the strogg and gdf's classes are slightly different. For example, the strogg medic also dispenses ammo in addition to health, so its like a combo of the medic class and field ops class in that regard. Now that theres vehicles, there are probably going to be more defined roles for some of the more useless classes in ET. Somebody is gonna have to take them out. I can't tell by just the weapon descriptions though.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/enemy-territor ... 534p1.html
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/enemy-territor ... 406p1.html

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 06-28-2006 06:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They're going to have to be VERY careful with balance, aren't they?
I appreciate them trying to make the opposing sides noticeably different in the way they play, but it's asking for trouble balance-wise...
It even sounds like they should be taking lessons in balance from some of the more successful RTS games out there...

Also, in a Stopwatch game, wouldn't it be confusing when you switch sides and your role changes, even if it is very slightly?

They REALLY need to release a test for this.

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 06-28-2006 06:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, but I don't think competitive play is their primary concern. They just want both sides to be unique and interesting. I expect this game to be more for the casual crowd. I don't think they removed the XP system either. Campaign mode was the primary feature last I heard.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 06-28-2006 07:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bah humbug.
Well I hope that the competetive mod scene doesn't get bogged down in adding unwanted "Features" to the game a la ETPro this time.
It's a shame the OSP team are no longer going. ET needed a mod like OSP, and all it got was a bunch of mods changing gameplay to suit their ideas of how the game should play.

And before someone picks me up on this, yes, I know that ET had OSP built in to an extent, but not enough to really consider vanilla ET a competetive game.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 06-30-2006 06:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett is spot on with his original post.

Et added a bunch of things that didnt need changing w/ Nerve's flawless multiplayer; namely adding garbage physics, an extra class, and some needless modifications to sound and player models, amoung other shit.

Worse part of it all is that Et has basically crippled the Wolf scene. All the newbs downloaded it, getting a free game, while collecting the critical mass of wolf players in the process. Such a sad sad story... Oh well...

I'm not so sure about ET:QW, but there is the potential for rtcw2 to kick some ass.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 06-30-2006 08:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

redfella wrote:
...but there is the potential for rtcw2 to kick some ass.
Especially when Nerve are doing it again this time round with MP (iirc).

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 07-01-2006 11:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kat wrote:
Especially when Nerve are doing it again this time round with MP (iirc).

you recall correctly. :)

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 07-03-2006 04:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So now we know that there is more emphasis on teamplay with ET but no one seems to have isssues with the inevitable lack of weaponry readily available during battle.
Are we gonna be able to swap classes during battle?, or even be able to pick up other class weapons?....
i mean what if all your airstrike geezers were dead and a horde of hornets were barrelling down on you and one other surviving member of your team.... i cant help but wonder if the game is gonna be dominated by snipers and aircraft, personally id be a sniper so i could use stealth tactics like some lonewolf hero, its my opinion that most users would do the same. ET has promotions to gain from complete objectives and bear kills! it'll be every man for himself!!!!
Dont get me wrong team play is cool, all i should have to say is halo to spark memories of warthog squadrons speading across the terrain gunz blazzin with bashees for cover.

whats puzzling me, is how will a victory be accomplished?, i dont see any flags on the battlefield, ive never played RTCW:ET so....
Are we talking occupation, like in the starwars battlefront games?
i dunno...
i thought the previous quake games were good, but my expactations are sky high for this "revolutionary game engine", to produce some sick game thats gonna end up ruinin my sex life :paranoid:

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 07-03-2006 05:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jesus man, go play W:ET and you'll know what kind of gam ETQW is going to be, it's not a sandbox capture and hold style game.

You can change classes during a match.

Z

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 07-03-2006 05:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

RtCW / ET's victory conditions have always been objective based.
One side attacks and tries to destroy or steal the objective whilst the other team defends.

You never "run out" of a particular class as this isn't CS, as respawning is handled through "Reinforcements".
This means that every 30 seconds or so, any dead players respawn at a point on the map of their choosing depending on whether the team has captured that point or not.

It's very much like UT's Assault mode.

For a taster, I highly recommend you download ET and give it a go considering that it's free.

RtCW / ET are my favourite teamplay-oriented games by a long shot.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | ET: Quake Wars Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.