Quake3World.com Forums
     ET: Quake Wars Discussion
        Reasons to not early adopt this game

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 06-28-2006 08:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Depends on the public test.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 06-28-2006 08:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doom 3 was quite cool actually.

Z

KITTY!!
KITTY!!
PostPosted: 06-28-2006 08:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well from my own opinion I wouldn't say Doom 3 and Quake 4 sucked ass. Both games had copious amounts of hype to begin with, which isn't always a good thing. Infact, i quite liked the games, but a lot of people probably thought there was room for improvement (well you can say that about a lot of games)

With regards to your fourth point, you could easially say that for a lot of games companies.

I'm quite looking forward to this game, I beleive it has a lot of potential and It could move me from Battlefield 2. Of course, no one can say until as foo said, the public test comes out and then the final release.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 06-28-2006 08:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I still play Doom 3 and piss my pants from joy :smirk:

canis
canis
PostPosted: 06-28-2006 08:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doom 3 was ok.
Quake 4 rocked.

Riddla's a fucking whackjob.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 06-28-2006 09:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

why buy:

1) it's not Carmacks work, it's splashdamage.
2) splashdamage rocks because they are infact modders/real people and not hardcore gamedevs thinking everyone want bloom on their penis
3) shut up

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-28-2006 02:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, given the fact that quite a number of the staff at Splash Damage are Q3W mappers/modders who got hired into professional industry says quite a lot about how they will build for the community. They were/are die-hard fans.

RR2DO2, Digibob, NakedApe, LloydM to name a few.

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 06-28-2006 04:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fjoggs wrote:
why buy:

2) splashdamage rocks because they are infact modders/real people and not hardcore gamedevs thinking everyone want bloom on their penis
3) shut up

Well I want bloom on MY penis.... :'(

p.s. zombie sucks

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-29-2006 06:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Im trying to stay optimistic about this game, but id seems to shit on everything they touch nowadays. They seem more interested in selling titles w/eye candy and special effects than they are with making games that are fun to play. They are totally out of touch. I dont think SD are out of touch however, and hopefully they can make this game FUN first, and pretty second. We will see.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-29-2006 11:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

riddla wrote:
Canis wrote:
Doom 3 was ok.
Quake 4 rocked.

guess thats why there are dozens of mods out and in active development now for Q4 eh? (in reality there are about 4 or 5)

Because the amount of time it takes to create assets for a game like Quake IV has doubled or even tripled. Most people don't have the time or skills to do that.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 06-30-2006 02:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
riddla wrote:
Canis wrote:
Doom 3 was ok.
Quake 4 rocked.

guess thats why there are dozens of mods out and in active development now for Q4 eh? (in reality there are about 4 or 5)

Because the amount of time it takes to create assets for a game like Quake IV has doubled or even tripled. Most people don't have the time or skills to do that.

That's not it at all.

BLARG
BLARG
PostPosted: 06-30-2006 03:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Because every game that gets hyped as THE new multiplayer game invariably ends in the shitter.

Tribes 2

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 06-30-2006 05:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kaz wrote:
Fjoggs wrote:
why buy:

3) shut up

Well I want bloom on MY penis.... :'(

p.s. zombie sucks

I don't suck, I slurp, ask digibob!

Z

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-30-2006 07:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Zombie13 wrote:
I don't suck, I slurp, ask digibob!

Are you Garth ‘Zombie’ Hendy of SD?

Edit: Fixed UBB muckery

Last edited by obsidian on 06-30-2006 02:34 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 06-30-2006 12:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kaz didn't say that :o

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 06-30-2006 06:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:

Ill answer for him, yes.

The id "executive producing" train needs to get back to competitive gaming... not gaming that looks pretty and has a competitive marketing label slapped on it.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-30-2006 06:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

...for a game thats not very good to begin with and no one plays..

Modders have improved along with game devs, they are perfectly capable of modding for any available games, particularly a game like q4 that releases SDK's and does a ton of community support. People don't mod for q4 because its a mediocre game that no one plays, not because its 'too much work'.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 07-01-2006 08:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

doom3 and quake4 were ok, but they weren't really 'fun'. I think quakewars will break this

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 07-01-2006 11:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

redfella wrote:
obsidian wrote:

Ill answer for him, yes.

The id "executive producing" train needs to get back to competitive gaming... not gaming that looks pretty and has a competitive marketing label slapped on it.

Cheers redfella :D

Z

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-01-2006 07:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

riddla wrote:
1. Doom 3 sucked ass.
2. Quake 4 sucked ass.
3. Carmack doesnt give a fuck about anything but making toy rockets now.
4. id no longer communicates with the community like it once did; now we're all just dollar signs.
5. You cant polish a turd of a game engine.

feel free to continue...

glad to see one of you has woken up :)

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-02-2006 02:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

source modding is where it's at, kids. wake up and smell your fingers

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 07-02-2006 03:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Runningman wrote:
riddla wrote:
1. Doom 3 sucked ass.
2. Quake 4 sucked ass.
3. Carmack doesnt give a fuck about anything but making toy rockets now.
4. id no longer communicates with the community like it once did; now we're all just dollar signs.
5. You cant polish a turd of a game engine.

feel free to continue...

glad to see one of you has woken up :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-02-2006 10:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 07-02-2006 11:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow Foo.... there was a delayed lol on that pic of yours. wtf at first, then lol the way only really wierd/extreme/perverted things can make me lol.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-02-2006 11:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Your all forgetting one thing... This game IS made by the community. Its made by the same people that did RtCW MP and they KNOW what we want, because they are in a sense "us".

And as for Q4 sucking ass we only have ourselves to blame, we wanted it that way so we cant moan at them can we.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 07-02-2006 11:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fuck off odium

i like to program
i like to program
PostPosted: 07-02-2006 01:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is made by the same people who did Q3F and ET, they know how to make a class based game.. Also, I played it at E3, and it was in fact the shit. And Riddla, there isn't a big enough rolleyes for the "doom3 engine is a turd" comment.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 07-02-2006 02:02 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

inolen wrote:
This is made by the same people who did Q3F and ET, they know how to make a class based game.. Also, I played it at E3, and it was in fact the shit. And Riddla, there isn't a big enough rolleyes for the "doom3 engine is a turd" comment.

TBH that seemed a pretty strong point.

The Dynamic light system in the game sucked all the horsepower away from improvements in other areas and resulted in games that didn't look particularly hot next to their peers, were limited to being quite dingy in atmosphere, and bore a distinct lack of robustness and flexibility in the very area it was focusing, the lighting.

i like to program
i like to program
PostPosted: 07-02-2006 02:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:
inolen wrote:

TBH that seemed a pretty strong point.

The Dynamic light system in the game sucked all the horsepower away from improvements in other areas and resulted in games that didn't look particularly hot next to their peers, were limited to being quite dingy in atmosphere, and bore a distinct lack of robustness and flexibility in the very area it was focusing, the lighting.

You're focusing your attention on a single aspect of how they used the engine for Doom3.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 07-02-2006 03:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

inolen wrote:
You're focusing your attention on a single aspect of how they used the engine for Doom3.

I guess, but I tend to look at things in terms of what it's meant to the end games and how it stands amongs its peers. On a technical level I'm ignorant of the inner workings of the engine itself. But I think the only meaningful gauge of an engine's value is what it can be used for, and the D3 engine looks to be a one-trick pony that ended up not even doing particularly well at the one thing it was attempting.

D3 ended up dingy, flat, and IMO not that good looking or high performance. Q4 ended up comparable to D3 in terms of performance and looks.

From a modding perspective, taking the editor into the game itself feels like a complete hackjob, and only really served to retard the progress already made with the map editors back into the dark ages.

In terms of flexibility, the outdoor areas in Q4/D3 looked like utter shit.

For ET... I'll wait and see what they've managed to do before judging but my general opinion of the D3 engine is already fairly well formed. A lot of the talk given in interviews about QW's outdoor lighting and the terrain systems/methods all seem to be politely saying 'we found a way around all the limitations of this engine'. So the jury's out.

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 07-03-2006 05:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
same people that did RtCW MP

That was Nerve. :]

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-04-2006 11:27 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

He means ET i think ;)

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 08-08-2006 04:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The game will suck. I had high hopes for this until I saw some moving footage. Nothing will come close to the immortal Q3 in terms of feeling or hardcore-ness, no matter how pretty.

Eye-like balls
Eye-like balls
PostPosted: 08-09-2006 05:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This isn't supposed to be like Q3, it's supposed to be like ET. I think it'll do just fine in that respect.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 08-09-2006 06:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's like saying I'm not buying this game cause it plays nothing like Black and White 2!

Z

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | ET: Quake Wars Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.