Quake3World.com Forums
     ET: Quake Wars Discussion
        ET: Gameplay Suggestions Thread

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 07-07-2006 10:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

d3mol!t!on wrote:
Foo wrote:
Also, I'm amazed that the old 'you can't see more than xxx fps' myth still persists.
I still got the impression most human eyes cannot pick up blockiness above 30-60 frames per second. However, I thought with computer games it's not that simple because the graphics card out-put isn't synchronised with the monitor refresh rate, so you can see those kind of things. For example, my monitor has a max refresh rate of 85Hz on the resolutions I prefer, and if I set vsync on in the games I play that have it, I notice no practically no blocky frame switching in them at all. The thing is, when the frames per seconds even reduce to 70, it looks really blocky. Same with vsync off, except the screen tearing makes it look somewhat blocky all the time.

This is a pretty good source:
http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_c ... ns_see.htm

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-08-2006 01:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks, Foo, that clears everything up I had thoughts about at all :)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-09-2006 04:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

well then, you can all go fuck yourselves until you can-
1: tell my eyes otherwise
2: explain why q4 is dead and it hasnt even been a year
3: why doom 3 was dead even faster
4: why everyone keeps finding themselves in q3 again
5: why every other game is more popular and has uncapped framerates

I dont even know how you can judge what i've said when you probably never even read the way you all treated myself and this thread from the start.

And yes, its because of people like me that ID doesnt work with the community.

AND id rather be on this side creating very valid points trying to help create a better game that doesnt die than be on the side where 30 people attack one person for expressing an opinion toward making a better gaming experience for everyone.

So yes, I am "THE" person that keeps the ID team away from the community, not those 30 people.

hold that thought.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 07-09-2006 05:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fuck off

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 07-09-2006 05:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-09-2006 05:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh good, i hit a nerve. here ya go.......

MKJ wrote:
please give a reason for #1. "it will die"? im guessing youre one of the peeps who think 125fps is crucial to any fps, since it was so important in q3.

I said this because of perception. example: everyone knows what a hockey puck looks like, but to pro hockey players and more importantly GOALIES, the hockey puck looks football sized to them. this is perception, so i see every flaw in the games rendering and framerate. i also knew the first week the game was released that fps had no effect on the physics of the game so i didnt have to worry about it.

MKJ wrote:
#4 is personal taste. ive never used WASD, ive always used QWES. should it be default? no. WASD is the standard for years, it won tbe changed because a percentage doesnt like it.

Just think about it, it only makes sense to use standard hand placement for movement binds because for typing, your hands just automatically go there. dont forget, i just meant for new comers or by default, because virtually every school nowadays requires a typing class every grade.

Captain Mazda wrote:
#5 - Automatically kick and ban all laggers from every server :olo:

good point lol, but not logical. i still "lol" at the fact that everyone plays a SHOOTER... with lag. doesnt really make any sense. its 2006, shouldnt there have already been a solution to this problem yet? ive played alot of unlagged games/mods. nobody has gotten it correct yet.

Grudge wrote:
No you can't. You'll get 60fps, with lots of dips down to 30fps, which may or may not be too fast to notice, but that will make the game stutter and if you're sensitive, make you nauseous.

maybe on your system lol

Grudge wrote:
Solution: turn vsync off. You'll see the tearing initially, but after a couple of hours you won't notice it anymore.

ive tried every combination, trust me. the first day i had the game i was on a 2ghz on a PCI (not pci-e) fx-5200 video card, and i was running q4 @ 77fps.

fKd wrote:
hahahahahhahaah nice :) good job foo :) this thread is retarded!
oh and hahahahah yeah.... esdf... whatever... its not to hard to change you keys... leave the rest of us out of it :)

answered above & yep, completely retarded. every other game forum i read has one of these, they are filled with great ideas and not one kiddie doing what all of you are doing. some even go all the way to #180.

Lenard wrote:
Runningman, you are the reason ID doesn't work with the community anymore, because they were sick of people screaming necessities at them when they have NO idea what the FUCk they are talking about. There is no goddamn difference in quake 4 between 60 and 125 frames. It is a fact of nature, literally. YOUR EYES CAN'T SEE THAT FAST. And if you want the goddamn movement bound somewhere else do it yourself. The reason modern game developers make defaults is because they are what MOST PEOPLE are comfortable with. Not necessarily hardcore, competative players, but MOST PEOPLE. I don't know why I am even bothering with someone this obviously stupid.

i guess your daddy bought you a puter for x-mas? think ive replied to everything youve said already.
Mat Linnett wrote:
Let alone which, the physics tricks that were a result of having 125fps no longer exist. Or am I wrong?

Grudge wrote:
No they don't, the engine "ticks" are set at 60fps. No need at all to go above that.

Mat Linnett wrote:
So people requesting the removal of the frame rate cap are eejits then?

Mat Linnett wrote:
See, that should now be nice and clear for the poor dears.
Eejits need things explained slowly and with clarity. It's tiring work being "hard-of-thinking".

pretty sure you can gather enough info to what i would say to these

Foo wrote:
BTW, the reason it's foolish to ask for a removal of the 60FPS cap is because it's core to the way the game works. They decided to hang everything around a 60Hz cycle time, presumably because it greatly simplifies many elements of the engine when it's a fixed, known frequency.

Hence with the FPS, unhitching it and letting it run higher would result in a smoother experience, it just can't be done with the D3 engine becuase of the manner in which it works. Whether they'll have worked around this issue for ET is unknown, but I doubt it. From what's been said, you might as well make a whole new engine than try and alter the 60hz clock on the D3 engine.

Also, I'm amazed that the old 'you can't see more than xxx fps' myth still persists.

well then, i guess until something is done, the engine will be unplayable for most of the world who currently arent playing it as is. and i dont even have a clue how you could "agree" or whatever with 60hz/60fps. are your eyes open when you play? or just look at the pretty slideshow images?

Foo wrote:
d3mol!t!on wrote:
Foo wrote:
I still got the impression most human eyes cannot pick up blockiness above 30-60 frames per second. However, I thought with computer games it's not that simple because the graphics card out-put isn't synchronised with the monitor refresh rate, so you can see those kind of things. For example, my monitor has a max refresh rate of 85Hz on the resolutions I prefer, and if I set vsync on in the games I play that have it, I notice no practically no blocky frame switching in them at all. The thing is, when the frames per seconds even reduce to 70, it looks really blocky. Same with vsync off, except the screen tearing makes it look somewhat blocky all the time.

This is a pretty good source:
http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_c ... ns_see.htm

if one WOULD consider the human eye as "receiving frames per second" it would gather hundreds if not thousands depending on the elements listed in that article and the person. congrats d3mol!t!on, you pass as the only person with a valid thought in the thread.

SIDE NOTE: why dont i see any of you playing any games or in any IRC network? im everywhere... the only other person i see in here is riddla, yknow, the other person you flame the shit out of. or are you all still in "noob land" standing around in servers using "noobtubes"?
gotta love a boring sunday morning :)

Last edited by Runningman on 07-09-2006 05:59 AM, edited 2 times in total.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 07-09-2006 05:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

how old are you

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-09-2006 05:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wanna argue and flame my age too? take at look at yourselves and your own posts.

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 07-09-2006 06:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Runningman, simply saying the argument is true because you say so makes you look kinda dumb. I'll take some points out but not all since I'm not that dedicated to this as you.

Quote:
Just think about it, it only makes sense to use standard hand placement for movement binds because for typing, your hands just automatically go there. dont forget, i just meant for new comers or by default, because virtually every school nowadays requires a typing class every grade.

This is nonsense. Playing games isn't taught in typing class and the standard position is asdf jkl. That does not come close to your esdf so you're supporting a matter of personal preference.

Quote:
good point lol, but not logical. i still "lol" at the fact that everyone plays a SHOOTER... with lag. doesnt really make any sense. its 2006, shouldnt there have already been a solution to this problem yet? ive played alot of unlagged games/mods. nobody has gotten it correct yet.

I suppose you know what lag is and how unlagged modifications deal with it. They predict movement mostly. There will always be lag and you can't be sure of someones position untill the packet is sent on his end, t=0, the lag is travel time t=0 to t=158, and it arrives and is processed t=159.

Quote:
well then, i guess until something is done, the engine will be unplayable for most of the world who currently arent playing it as is. and i dont even have a clue how you could "agree" or whatever with 60hz/60fps. are your eyes open when you play? or just look at the pretty slideshow images?

You consider yourself most of the world? Doom 3 and Quake 4didn't lose it's playerbase to the fps cap. It lost its playerbase to the lack of interesting gameplay. Q3 however was already molded to perfection, that's why people went back.

Quote:
why dont i see any of you playing any games or in any IRC network? im everywhere... the only other person i see in here is riddla, yknow, the other person you flame the shit out of. or are you all still in "noob land" standing around in servers using "noobtubes"?

Is our credibility determined by how much we are around YOU? And we rarely use quake here to determine supremacy anymore. So in the words of Foo. Fuck off.

Quote:
And yes, its because of people like me that ID doesnt work with the community.

AND id rather be on this side creating very valid points trying to help create a better game that doesnt die than be on the side where 30 people attack one person for expressing an opinion toward making a better gaming experience for everyone.

You're expressing an opinion supported by points that are also opinions. Untill you can back them up with something better we are allowed to try to make you see the light. People like you however always think you've got it right from the start and don't listen to people that oppose you. The fact isn't that id has to deal with you, they don't. They have to search through the piles of shit your kind of ignorant people posts day after day to get to the well thought out and supported claims, and that is the hassle which they don't want to deal with anymore.

Free Time --

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-09-2006 06:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Come to your senses, it's a bit stupid to start a thread like this at all in a forum containing quite a few fans of the game, let alone post a few points that a lot of people would agree are plain stupid. Then you expect not to get flamed when you add rude comments to your discussion :dork:

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-09-2006 06:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

these threads ARE good ideas until the moderator decided to flame it and not do his job. and my "rudeness" came after the bullshit kiddies opened their mouths. and i barely even check this shitass board to begin with.
well ill stay away from the kiddies from now on.
now all i have to do is get riddla out of here, which he might have already done himself, and you guys guys can have it all to yourselves in your own little world.
d3mol!t!on wrote:
in a forum containing quite a few fans of the game
and you say this like i dont play ET everyday in 3 clans.

and survior, way to state some pretty obvious things i already knew. and im not very dedicated, i just got bored...... its sunday morning. and if you really want me to back up my points, IM me and ill explain things further or if we were in person, we could discuss any issues you have outside, cuz i can. WHY you ask? this right here lets me know exactly how you think.....
Survivor wrote:
This is nonsense. Playing games isn't taught in typing class and the standard position is asdf jkl. That does not come close to your esdf so you're supporting a matter of personal preference.

if you put my hands on asdf jkl; like standard typing,
where would my movement binds be?
hold that thought, then say gg for me.

please ban my ip. this "was" a good board, gg Foo-L / other mods

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 07-09-2006 07:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

this isn't the forum for it, but

bwahahaa :olo:

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 07-09-2006 11:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nah, runningman is way to stupid to talk to. I mean, what kind of mongaloid retard can't understand the reasoning behind putting the movement keys defaults where they are, or that, even after getting the fact beaten into him by many people, the engine cannot possibly, under any circumstances get over 60 frames, nor would there be a difference if it did.

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 07-09-2006 11:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Runningman wrote:
Stuff

I had a nice and lengthy response in mind which I would type with my left hand on the asdf set of keys, my right hand on the jkl set of keys and a beer nearby which in the end won over my interest in trying to explain to you what logic is and how to recognize it.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 07-09-2006 01:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks like someone threw their toys out the pram.
I didn't even read that, just saw the lengthy multi-quote format and thought "lol, worra twonk".

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-09-2006 01:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
So people requesting the removal of the frame rate cap are eejits then?

unless you think about all those people that have been playing at 120fps and 120hz refresh then to have to go to 60 hz. not pleasant on the eyes. of course, you could set your refresh at 120 and play at 60 fps but it's not the same. the requests for the uncapping should have nothing to do with physics or movement.

and i can most definately tell the diff between 60hz refresh and 120. hell, i can tell between 75 and 60 as im sure most people can if they sit in front of a monitor long enough.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-09-2006 01:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fuckin right, theres a true gamer that will understand wtf im talking about.

and foo sits there and tries to tell me THE ENGINES DEPENDANT ON THE 63FPS!!!!!! its a video game, if you can think it, it can be done and anything can be changed.

and yes, i play EVERY GAME at 120hz and 125fps(or close to it) and its the smoothest damn thing ive ever seen. infact it was the way q3 was designed to run in. this new way only appeals to new people like lenard who think a mongaloid and retard are two different things.

" what kind of mongaloid retard " rofl, gonna be laughin about that one all week.

please ban my fucking ip, dont make me help you.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 07-09-2006 01:59 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fuck off

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-09-2006 02:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Runningman wrote:

and foo sits there and tries to tell me THE ENGINES DEPENDANT ON THE 63FPS!!!!!! its a video game, if you can think it, it can be done and anything can be changed.

and yes, i play EVERY GAME at 120hz and 125fps(or close to it) and its the smoothest damn thing ive ever seen. infact it was the way q3 was designed to run in. this new way only appeals to new people like lenard who think a mongaloid and retard are two different things.

" what kind of mongaloid retard " rofl, gonna be laughin about that one all week.

well as much as i would like to see it uncapped i don't think it's that simple nor is it something id/raven are willing to do. ie rebuild the q4 engine to suit the needs of a few.

PostPosted: 07-09-2006 02:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Runningman wrote:

all you have to do is walk away mate, just log out and walk away.

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 07-09-2006 02:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo isn't a moderator. Name calling goes to the void.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-09-2006 03:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

prince1000 wrote:
of course, you could set your refresh at 120 and play at 60 fps but it's not the same
I find that multiples of my refresh rate barely have any difference on what I see, especially in the line of screen tearing.

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 07-09-2006 03:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Runningman wrote:

That was funny? I AM HILARIOUS. I am going to start doing standup.

Oh, and the game was not built to run at 125 fps, hence the glitches and errors you get at that framerate. " if you can think it, it can be done and anything can be changed." Yeah, and it would consist of entirely re-writing a large portion of the engine, not just hitting ctrl+f alot and switching all the 60's to 125's. This would be a rediculous amount of work for something totally not worth while when most people can't even run it at sixty frames.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 07-09-2006 05:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The 125fps thing in Q3 was a bug.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-09-2006 06:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I hear from many people in Q3 that they can tell the difference between 120 FPS and 60. True? False? Stupid?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-09-2006 06:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yes there are differences between those 2 framerates, visually in accordance w/refresh rate and game physics wise.

capping games at 60fps and forcing people to sync refresh rates for smoothness at 60hz is silly. unless of course in the case of q4 id/raven had issues with the engine if it wasn't capped at 60fps. i would even be happy with a cap at 85 fps. syncing at 60 gives me headaches.

Last edited by prince1000 on 07-09-2006 06:35 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-09-2006 06:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

d3mol!t!on wrote:
prince1000 wrote:
of course, you could set your refresh at 120 and play at 60 fps but it's not the same
I find that multiples of my refresh rate barely have any difference on what I see, especially in the line of screen tearing.

q4 @ 120 refresh resembles ghosting to me. i play at 85 for now.

Approaching the singularity
PostPosted: 07-10-2006 12:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Most people don't realize that the smoothness felt at 125fps in Q3 is more due to the smoothness of the movement physics than to the visual benefits of a high refresh rate.

PostPosted: 07-10-2006 12:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Runningman wrote:
maybe on your system lol

You don't know how vsync works, do you?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-10-2006 06:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

vsync syncs your "V" doesnt it?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-10-2006 07:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Runningman wrote:
vsync syncs your "V" doesnt it?

...: D

Uh. Um... I get about 500 FPS, but my monitor only recognizes 60 of them. : [ Darn.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 07-31-2006 07:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sup new guy of the forum but veteran of the game

i wanted to know why are there soo few ppl when i play online?
today i didnt find even 1 player :icon34:

take me

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-01-2006 12:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fjoggs wrote:
The 125fps thing in Q3 was a bug.

w3rd. it was not intended to run at that speed. that wouldve been suicide in the first place since computer back than barely hit 60fps :icon10:

PostPosted: 08-01-2006 01:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

deathbringer wrote:
sup new guy of the forum but veteran of the game

i wanted to know why are there soo few ppl when i play online?
today i didnt find even 1 player :icon34:

this game isn't out yet, try one of these.

quake 4 FAQ:
http://www.quake3world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13581

quake 4:
http://www.quake3world.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=17

quake 3 FAQ:
http://quake3world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=215

quake 3:
http://www.quake3world.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7

other id games:
http://www.quake3world.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 06-08-2007 09:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If I was mod I'd ban you (hint hint :paranoid: )

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | ET: Quake Wars Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.