Quake3World.com Forums
     ET: Quake Wars Discussion
        Enemy Territory: Quake Wars Beta

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

neh
neh
PostPosted: 06-19-2007 10:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

am wondering if it looks any good tbh?

I fired up q4 the other day and was pretty taken with how fucking ugly it actually is when I compared it to most of the stuff I enjoy on 360 ...

does it look any good (I know movies etc are up - but all are off screen or grainy) - just wanted a little feedback from first hand play

Approaching the singularity
PostPosted: 06-20-2007 09:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ok, it's started

*downloading*

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-20-2007 09:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Been watching videos...i wish i was playing this :(

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 06-20-2007 06:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grudge you got a paying fileplanet account?

Donald, you can play it later this week for free :kiss:

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 06-20-2007 07:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm a total newbie.

PostPosted: 06-20-2007 11:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yes

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-21-2007 12:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

meh... from the looks of it, too little too late. BF2 / BF2142 anyone?

the only promise that i have for this game in the mod scene. Here's hoping for a decent tribes mod. tribes 1 was the shit.

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 06-21-2007 02:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it doesn't resemble the bf games in any form.

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 06-21-2007 02:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the only thing that sucks are the retards with no fucking clue. bullshit like having a whopping 6 snipers, but no radar (the thing they deploy to help the team). a bad team in this game can really destroy the fun factor, more so than others... but it's new.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-21-2007 08:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Aren't there supposed to be objective notifications that pop up on your screen? SplashDamage said they really improved on that, making objectives easy to recognize and understand.

Or are people really that dense?

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 06-21-2007 08:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Aren't there supposed to be objective notifications that pop up on your screen? SplashDamage said they really improved on that, making objectives easy to recognize and understand.

Or are people really that dense?
If I said "boom.. headshot!" That'd probably give you a good idea ;)

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-21-2007 10:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That was a rhetorical question, but yes, thanks.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 06-21-2007 10:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just to expand... Objectives are well marked with 'floating' signs that give you the exact whereabouts and distance to/from them as well as whether they have been completed or not (grey = done), so yep we are talking 'headshot' players here that aren't interested in any sort of team play, it's probably a given that public servers are going to be full of people sniping.

PostPosted: 06-22-2007 02:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

One good thing with BF2 was the achievements/medals you could get, especially the one for stabbing people - it was ideal for going on a n00b pub server and stabbing as many snipers as you could. If you tried to hang around popualar sniping spots you could get 10-12 knife kills every round on certain maps. Encouragements like that are great.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 06-22-2007 01:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grudge wrote:
One good thing with BF2 was the achievements/medals you could get, especially the one for stabbing people - it was ideal for going on a n00b pub server and stabbing as many snipers as you could. If you tried to hang around popualar sniping spots you could get 10-12 knife kills every round on certain maps. Encouragements like that are great.
I think it's safe to say that the XP system in QW will reward greatly that kind of thing. heh

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 06-23-2007 07:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Free FilePlanet accounts will be able to download the beta and get keys starting today.

Original post updated with relevant time depending on your location.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 06-24-2007 01:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well I like it :paranoid: :icon26:

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 06-24-2007 01:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not bad, but a little chaotic at the moment.

Pros:
Very pretty; my rig'll run it with everything on high at 1920x1200, and smooth. Very impressed with how well optimised the engine is. Riddla & Foo will probably disagree, but it looks as good, if not better then most everything else on the market at the moment, at least in my eyes.

The two sides are VERY different, and seemingly well balanced too. I was expecting the sides to essentially be identical, but the little differences make them feel unique.

They managed to get water working in the D3 engine finally :D

Icarus jump packs are the dog's danglies.

Cons:
All other vehicles are piss poor with shit control implementation. Dunno why they bothered with them really.

Sounds are completely borked as pointed out by various others.

Weapons don't have enough heft. These are the wimpiest-feeling id weapons ever.

No audible timer for nades. Yes, the animated crosshair helps, but I miss those audio cues.

Adding vehicles means that the moron spawn-rush from Battlefield is now in an id game.

Crappy experience system is still in place. This has no place in a competetive FPS.

Covert Ops is still a shit class. It's not needed. Just let yer soldier class have a sniper weapon as a weapon choice and relegate this idiotic Fortress throwback class to the junk pile.

It's probably going to be a full price id game, and multiplayer only just ain't worth it. If they were selling it at £20, that'd be worth it, but £40 for a multiplayer-only title ain't happening.

I'm still pretty set on not buying this thanks to the in-game advertising, and I think it's a damn shame that Splash Damage have stolen the credit for a game that Nerve made great.
But it's turned out pretty good, I'll give it that.
It's just not RtCW 2.

Now that'll be a sure fire winner if they use the same gameplay from the original RtCW.

Edit: Oh, and if you're going to implement vehicles, at least make sure all vehicles can be driven by both sides.

And there's no weapon-stealing in this either. That was one of my favourite strategies in RtCW / Wolf ET. Kill an enemy, then swap your gun for his. Because the MP40 and the Thompson had such unique sounds, it meant you could start firing at the enemy from behind and they wouldn't immediately register that it was an enemy shooting them.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-25-2007 01:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
Adding vehicles means that the moron spawn-rush from Battlefield is now in an id game.
Yeah we did a bit of the moron rush our selves, running over loads of Strogg in the GDF tank before getting blown up ourselves by the Strogg's vehicle rush :icon32:

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 06-27-2007 02:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

After more playing, it's good, but it ain't RtCW.

There's just something missing overall, and it's enough in conjunction with the in-game advertising to put me off of the game as a whole.

I think it just doesn't feel as solid as RtCW, and I feel less in control.

no u
no u
PostPosted: 06-27-2007 03:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
After more playing, it's good, but it ain't RtCW.

agreed. rtcw was/is the best teamwork fps period!

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 07-02-2007 07:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A mini-patch has been released today for the beta fixing various issues & adding new features such as BOTS. Read more on the added features and fixes here.

Quote:
To grab the update, simply start up your beta client and the in-game updater will do the rest.

----------------
Patch vers 1.1
----------------

CHANGE LIST
- Improved prediction
- Memory leak fixes (mostly for servers)
- Bots activated
- Server browser fixes
- Punkbuster activated
- Fixes for various compatibility issues

Source: Quake Wars Comminity

Last edited by Bugsy on 07-02-2007 10:26 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 07-02-2007 08:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

punkbuster is now enabled. I already was booted twice for wrong version, even after I manually updated.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 07-02-2007 09:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cool.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 07-02-2007 12:12 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

stuff a cock in it

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 07-02-2007 12:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seriously. you've made your opinion clear. there's really no reason to run around bitterly re-iterating it.

if you don't like the game, you don't have much reason to play it, or to post in the ETQW forum, do you?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-02-2007 03:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was on a server last night and really got annoyed with flyer drone spam. There's little the GDF can do about it and there is a constant wave of drones, each an instant kill. Difficult to shoot the drones and hard to find the spamming Infiltrator.

So far, that's the only really unbalanced tactic that drives me up the wall. I'm interested in hearing if anyone has found of a good way of counterattacking against them.

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 07-02-2007 03:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the only way is to listen for it, and keep running away if you cant get a good shot. its easy to kill them outside, but pretty tough inside. usually the noob whos using it will freak out and detonate it prematurely if you start shooting at it.

no u
no u
PostPosted: 07-08-2007 09:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

just an fyi: this website now has a html server list:

http://qwtracker.com/serverlist.php

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 07-08-2007 11:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

havnt been playing much the past week.
oh yeah... with the new patch, if you have xp64 the game crashes to desktop when you enable it. no fix yet.

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 07-09-2007 06:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The few servers without bots fucking lag like something nasty since the patch. Pretty much unplayable. I'm gonna blame PB.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | ET: Quake Wars Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.