Quake3World.com Forums
     ET: Quake Wars Discussion
        pro tips

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: pro tips

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 06-23-2007 06:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

strogg can bind _stroyup and _stroydown to swap health for ammo, and vise versa

gdf medics give their entire team bonus hp per medic.

Why Medics are the shit:
Defibrillators are extremely powerful when used properly. Rather than fragging Strogg, try focusing on reviving your fallen teammates, and using medpacks to keep yourself alive. You can run out of medpacks, but revives are limitless. This will essentially give your teammates infinite lives as long as you stay alive, and will eventually overpower enemy forces in the area.

Medic vs. Strogg Technician:
The Medic is more of an offensive healer because of his instant revives, while the strogg technician can be considered a defensive healer because of his longer revives, and spawn hosts that allow his teammates to spawn on the front. Both strogg abilities require time to prepare. While spawn hosts are powerful, good Medics should theoretically be able to spam revive his allies, and eventually over power any fresh strogg spawns. Strogg spawn hosts do respawn strogg at full health, where the Medics defibrilators only bring back the fallen at half health. Luckily, defibrilators can also destroy spawn hosts, so your fallen teammates aren't the only ones you should be using it on. 1 defib shock will deactivate an activated spawn host, and the 2nd will destroy it.

Taking the first sewer objective as GDF:
Spam engineers at it until it's built, ignoring all enemies, and focusing on building the objective. The build completion bar stays where you left it for 30 seconds, so you can continue where you left off if you die. all an engineer has to do is touch it to refresh the build bar, and its pretty hard for the strogg to kill a strafe jumping enemy before he can touch the objective. If you die, haul ass, and try again until it's built. if you have medics, and other support, it's that much easier. If you play this game like quake, and ignore death, you'll have much more success.

Defending against Engineer spam as Strogg:
The key to defeating this tactic is to keep psi-radar up, and stop in-coming Engineers before they get close to the objective. The Infiltrators flyers can be used for scouting, to see who's who. Engineers should place trip mines on the doors, and proximity mines on the objective. Even though they're more visible, trip mines detonate as soon as the enemy goes through them. Proximity mines have a delay before they go off, so its easy for a player to survive it's explosion. The point of the trip mine isn't necessarily to kill a passing engineer, but to slow them down.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 06-23-2007 06:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nice

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 06-23-2007 06:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

btw, once you get your shit figured out, the game starts to get way more enjoyable. I was having fun playing infiltrator hacking deployables and retaking spawns.

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 06-24-2007 12:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I played against some dude who was an expert at cooking grenades. He'd get me every time, with zero chance to react.

should make a habit of finishing off the enemy while they're down, especially if you're strogg. infiltrators/covert ops can tap their disguise ability, and technicians can use their spawn host ability over downed enemies to make them un-res'able. you don't have to go through with the action, but it's quicker than shooting.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-24-2007 05:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

stickied

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 06-24-2007 10:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nice :icon14:

Since Strogg Infiltrators' disguise ability doesn't gain any kind of score, it's best use is as a means to recapturing forward checkpoints. As soon as you switch to your hacking tool, you revert to Strogg, but since most checkpoints are either inside or fairly well covered, getting there is the hardest part. Don't use any weapons except the knife until you're inside and recapturing.

The Icarus jet pack is a great tool for getting somewhere fast. But it's usually best to abandon it before you get to any intense open-air fighting, because it leaves you wide open to smart missiles.

If you're the GDF, you can take out swarms of Icarus spammers with just a couple of well-hidden soldiers using the smart fire on their rocket launchers.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 06-25-2007 12:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not relevant for GDF medics, but as a Strogg technician, remember that you can still move around a corpse or fallen comrade while operating on it.
This can help save you if you start getting shot while doing yer business, especially if there's cover within range.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 07-03-2007 12:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DooMer wrote:
Yeah, I played against some dude who was an expert at cooking grenades. He'd get me every time, with zero chance to react.

Once the games out its pretty helpful to have all grenade maps on occasion, so peeps get the feel for it, as we used to do in ET. The cookoff is usually about 3.5 -4 seconds then toss for the close air burst, unless the opponent is in the distance, then timing is more feel.

Frankly, one of the ways we used to check if someone knew ET was grenade handling for cheat check purposes. After a while it's easy and second nature. Play a class with a lot of them and get the feel for it. Only a total twat will claim you are cheating.

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 07-03-2007 01:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

R00k wrote:
If you're the GDF, you can take out swarms of Icarus spammers with just a couple of well-hidden soldiers using the smart fire on their rocket launchers.

I find it a bitch to lock on to icarus though. They often go in and out of view too quickly to get a lock and to maintain the lock itself you have to keep it in a very small part of the crosshair.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 07-03-2007 02:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yea, I'm finding that as people get more skilled with it, it gets a lot harder to get a lock long enough to take them out.

Right after release, it was fairly easy to stay in a line with the way they were moving and get a bead and fire. People have adapted to that since then. :)

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 07-04-2007 12:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Survivor wrote:
R00k wrote:

I find it a bitch to lock on to icarus though. They often go in and out of view too quickly to get a lock and to maintain the lock itself you have to keep it in a very small part of the crosshair.

word. the lockon range around the crosshair needs to be bigger. right now its almost impossible

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-04-2007 04:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, I don't think they should fix it by doing that. Far too easy to hit anything else then and also hard to hit your intended target when there are a few possible targets clustered together.

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 07-04-2007 05:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

a single sniper shot will pretty much take out an icarus.

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 07-04-2007 08:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DooMer wrote:

That's the other thing. The sniper scope drifts. Awesome distances to snipe but hell it drifts a lot of pixels to hit a head that's only 3 pixels wide.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-15-2007 11:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Counter the sniper drift by going prone, at least crouch if you can't prone. Also if you're doing a lot of sniping, turn your mouse sens WAY down, so you can roll your mouse slowly against the drift. The low sens will hurt for close-up fighting, but so will having a sniper rifle/railgun.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-19-2007 06:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think it was shaft who was asking me how to alt+tab out of ETQW:

win_notaskkeys 0

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-06-2008 01:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Survivor wrote:
DooMer wrote:

That's the other thing. The sniper scope drifts. Awesome distances to snipe but hell it drifts a lot of pixels to hit a head that's only 3 pixels wide.

Hmm... Is Icarus rly that hard? Heh, I always play for strogg and its just a pleasure to take out ppl on Huskys if they use it, so I thought icarus is easy too... Gues u won't lear a lot from playing the game for a couple of weeks :)

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 01-06-2008 08:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sniping is pretty easy right now, but they're making it a lot harder in the next patch.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-07-2008 09:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Supply crates r awsom! Drop them in doorways and they can't get in before blowing it up. And since I'm sitting behind the supply crate spamming grenades, that can get pretty difficult to do.

I'm currently experimenting with using supply crates as steps, so you can drop one next to a wall and your team can just jump on the crate and hop over.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-26-2008 10:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The MCP has a short range radar that stinks. Drop a third-eye on the MCP (or any other vehicle) and you'll be able to spot targets as you drive around.

When defending the final objective on Volcano, have covert-ops drop 2 third-eyes, one near the cage, one near the entrance. Focus on killing the infiltrators. Dead infiltrators = no flyer drones attacking the objective. Disguised covert backstabs are super easy here.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 06-26-2008 01:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Flying Vehicles

- All flying vehicles (except the Icarus) move faster with the nose pitched slightly down. The BumbleBee will move much faster than it's normal speed with this technique (dive and level out). The crazier the angle of attack, the faster you go but the harder it is to maintain altitude. I managed to get the BumbleBee to peak at 60.
- The Anansi and the Tormentor both have dual weapons with one mode the big rocket (LAW) and the other mode several smaller, faster, less powerful rockets. When firing with these vehicles it's best to use the mouse wheel to flip between the weapon modes while firing. That way you don't have to wait for reloads. With practice, you can flip between the weapons and have your vehicle fire practically non-stop. This is a great way to quickly wear down or destroy objects with alot of armour such as the Cyclops, Titan tank, the MCP and deployable turrets.
- The Tormentor can fly backwards when it's level but it's reverse thrust isn't as powerful as the Anansi's for braking.

Flying vehicles and ground-based targets:

- The Anansi has full reverse thrust. It is excellent for hovering high and pointing the nose down to attack since you basically stay in the same position without losing altitude or moving forward (unlike the Tormentor).
- The Anansi's LAW and Tormentor's Rocket are powerful enough to destroy most vehicles with a single hit. Getting a lock-on gives the enemy the chance to launch decoys, so practice targeting your big gun accordingly without needing the lock on and you'll rain death from above before they knew you were there.
- When flying the Anansi, the smaller rockets and LAW that you fire have infinite range (unlike the Strogg vehicles who's weapons detonate after a specific distance) so it's best to disable/destroy anti-vehicle deployables from long range (outside the turret's range) before moving in.
- Sometimes on some maps the GDF anti-vehicle/personnel turrets are blended into the background due to their colour and can be hard to see when whipping past them at high speed. You sometimes only know they're there when you get the lock-on warning. If you can (with VoIP) request that your teammates look at the turrets and call out "Attack Here" in their context menus so that the object shows up on your map, instead of just relying on visual range attacks....especially if there are multiple anti-vehicle turrets firing at you.

Dogfighting with flying vehicles:

*Dogfighting with the Icarus is stupid and should only be attempted after drinking paint.

Both the Anansi and Tormentor have various flying characteristics that give them a slight advantage/disadvantage in a dogfight:

- The Anansi can stop on a dime. This is a great way of getting behind your attacker if they chase you and are directly behind you. (sorta like the move Tom Cruise pulled in Top Gun).
- The Anansi's dead stop capability is also good for avoiding smashing into trees, poles, buildings and everything else that seems to get in your way during a pitched fight.
- The Tormentor, while unable to stop dead, can roll and turn a little bit faster than the Anansi, so in some situations when you overshoot, you can quickly do a mid-air 180 to turn your guns on your enemies.
- Dogfights in this game tend to end up in a slow, circular dance between combatants. If you can make quick moves that maintain your momentum (instead of stalling...since the boost doesn't last forever) you have a better chance of either getting a shot off or escaping a lock-on. Also, don't forget to "lead" your target since the rockets move relatively slow.
- If you can, use manual targeting with the LAW/Rocket as it doesn't give off a "lock-on" warning and a single hit from a LAW will destroy both the Tormentor and Anansi.
- As earlier mentioned, the forward boost doesn't last forever. So don't dogfight with your finger continually pressing the Shift key. Use it when you need it and always remember to save a bit of boost in case you need to make a fast escape or quickly gain altitude. As with real dogfighting, maintaining your "forward energy" is vital.
- In dogfights try making your kills from at least 25 m as the splash damage from your enemy's destruction can and will blow you out of the sky. It's fun to show off and "fly through your kill" like in the movies but you'll pay for it in this game.

The BumbleBee:

- Since the BumbleBee is slow and sluggish, it is best to keep it low in the sky and not such an obvious target.
- The BumbleBee has a powerful (and accurate) forward machine gun that cuts down on-foot enemies in no time flat. When you're piloting and you see enemies, use the TAB key to unlock mouselook so that you don't have to turn the nose of the aircraft to aim. When attacking on-foot enemies you should hover low and find some environmental cover before engaging. Like the Tormentor, it has the ability to move in reverse so you can use forward/rearward boost to poke the gun around obstacles, shoot and get back into cover if needed. The BumbleBee also has a shitload of armour so it can take a beating, giving you plenty of time to kill shitloads of enemies before you have to move from your location or bail out.
- If you're gonna load up the BumbleBee with many teammates, use it as a quick transport and have your teammates bail out and parachute down to the objective when needed. There really isn't much point in loading up the BumbleBee and turning into a flying turret. While this does bring a shitload of firepower into the fight (especially if the non-gunner positions have rocket launchers) the players who aren't in the cockpit are quickly killed from a single rocket due to the openness of the vehicle....so the "flying turret" attempt usually doesn't last long. The BumbleBee will survive a direct lock-on rocket attack, but only the pilot is protected. Everyone else onboard dies.
- When carrying a lone passenger who's in a gunner position try flying the BumbleBee a bit sideways (favoring the side the gunner is on) so that he can fire at enemies in front of the vehicle with a wider range of attack. You can still aim and fire at forward targets using the TAB key while flying so if someone joins you give them a chance to shoot something. You won't fly as fast, but it's more fire power to the party.
- I find on the map "The Ark" that the BumbleBee's forward machine gun -all by itself - is an effective defense against building the mining laser as you can hover low in the trees across the river and quickly shred anyone who attempts to construct it. Make sure you hover where you can see - and attack - both sides of the mining laser.

The Icarus:

- As mentioned, the boost doesn't last forever. The best way that I've found to quickly get somewhere without alot of ground-skirting is to stay reasonably low and "bounce" your way to your destination by letting the boost recharge as you drop in altitude...especially if it's all downhill...and pressing the boost just as you touch the ground to bounce back up. It helps if you touch ground on a downward slope as this launches you forward when you boost. This method keeps the boost in reserve, increases your forward speed and tends to get you a further distance on a full boost (until depleted) movement due to your increased forward speed.
- The Icarus' grenades do the same damage as regular grenades but are easy to avoid. However, they're great for stalling the opponent's advance, clearing the area of enemy mines or doing a shitload of damage to turrets....but stay the fuck away from an anti-vehicle turrets.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 07-25-2008 05:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Another thing I forgot to mention about the vehicles....GDF and Strogg players can call in a vehicle drop. It's in your context menu and there are a limited number of times you can call for one. You must also be outside to get one.

You'll need to have accrued enough XP to earn it...but I think it's only around 10 - 15 XP as it's part of the first level of upgrades. Check your context menu throughout the match for the menu item "I need a pickup" to switch to "I need a vehicle". Selecting the menu item drops it in.

Once you get enough XP, call it in and it'll drop closeby like a normal turret/med crate. It takes a few seconds before it arrives.

And for christ's sake don't get squashed by your own drop.

On maps such as Volcano and Salvage (where the only default vehicles are Huskys) calling in vehicle drops can make a difference.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-02-2008 04:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
On maps such as Volcano and Salvage (where the only default vehicles are Huskys) calling in vehicle drops can make a difference.

Indeed. It's a pity almost no one seems to be aware of being able to call in vehicle drops. In the maps you mentioned you can really disturb enemy defences by flying around the objective areas, dropping stroybombs while they're trying to focus on Soldiers/Aggressors.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-05-2008 01:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

One thing I forgot to add...to get a vehicle drop, you must complete the first level of upgrades for VEHICLES before it becomes available.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 09-03-2008 02:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A quick tip on medics:

- the medic can "self-shock" himself to increase his health. It's an upgrade you'll need to earn but once you get it just switch to the defibrillators and right-click. According to the info I've read you can actually increase your health beyond the "normal" health for your class, which begins to decay back to your normal level (it's the same as picking up the megahealth in Q3A).

Using the self-shock works in a pinch when you've dumped your med-packs to help a team mate but you yourself are low on health.

Also....I'm not sure if it was changed in the latest patch (I've only been playing medic recently) but they've doubled the amount of defibrillator shocks you need for spawn hosts. Two shocks disable and four shocks destroy. At least that's what I've seen.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 09-03-2008 02:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh yeah...perhaps this is also because of the latest patch...but regarding taking a disguise and running rampant with the knife:

You can maintain your disguise if you kill an enemy and no living enemy sees you doing the deed. What this means is that if you backstab an enemy in view of another enemy you'll lose your disguise when you plunge the knife in. However, if no living enemy saw what you did (including the guy you killed...so come from behind) you can maintain your disguise and continue backstabbing with delight.

Also - again I'm not sure if this was changed in a patch - but you can maintain your disguise while taking a forward spawn. You don't lose it when you press "Use" to capture the spawnpoint (you don't need the hacking tool) you lose it when you've completed the capture.

The covert class also has two useful XP upgrades:

- silent footsteps
- personal radar jammer (you don't show on enemy radar unless someone calls out your location...and you only flash on the map for a few seconds before going invisible again)

Combine those two with some careful attacks and you've become an invisible backstabbing machine.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 09-04-2008 03:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

-For God's sake GDF Covert Ops - you have Third Eye Cameras so use them! Place them on strategic locations, not for the purpose of killing but for the tiny radar they have. For example, when a round starts it usually takes a while for an incoming radar to arrive and deploy so in the meantime throw a Third Eye Camera where it is needed (near the Generators in the Euro campaign, the Salvage etc.).

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Also - again I'm not sure if this was changed in a patch - but you can maintain your disguise while taking a forward spawn. You don't lose it when you press "Use" to capture the spawnpoint (you don't need the hacking tool) you lose it when you've completed the capture.

Yeah, this is old.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 09-04-2008 06:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not really pro, but I see a lot of players obsessing about completely destroying deployables/vehicles (for the xp, probably).
Often just disabling is better, so you can keep taking out constructors/engineers coming in and trying to repair.

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 09-15-2008 02:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

2 tips for stroggfags

1. Oppressor: you can aim your targeting laser through your tac shield...the visibility isn't great but it's enough to get the job done...helpful if you are being harrassed and you need to launch your ordinance quickly.

2. Technicians: ffs...if there is a group a newly dead GDF at your feet, don't waste time using grenades or lacerator shots....give each a quick poke with your stroyent tool so the MEDIC FAG can't come in an revive them all in 2 seconds. Unless there is a mission critical revivable friendly nearby, there is rarely a better way for you to spend the next 5-10 seconds.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | ET: Quake Wars Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.