Quake3World.com Forums
     ET: Quake Wars Discussion
        Last-second wins

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Last-second wins

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-09-2008 08:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dontcha just love em. :)

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 10-10-2008 04:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fuck, yeah. Although I like playing on defense more, so I don't get many of them.
And the reverse really sucks;
Lying there, freshly fragged, next to the final objective, pathetically calling out for a medic, only to witness the other team succeeding in the final seconds :'(

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-10-2008 06:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's what makes this game, pushing until the last second and then winning. That's why I hate those win-stat noobs who quit a few minutes before the end of the match, you might still win, but not if you have half a team. If you're going to suck, step up and lose with some dignity.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 10-10-2008 06:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Goddammit, is that really how it works?
I noticed players switching to the 'winning team' in the final throws of a game, which really pisses me off, but surely the amount of time played for a certain side determines the stats?

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-10-2008 06:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

teamswitching should only be allowed in pre- and postgame screens imo.

not really etqw related but still

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-11-2008 12:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
If you're going to suck, step up and lose with some dignity.

:olo:

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-11-2008 12:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:

I disagree. I'll usually switch if the game asks (it's not about getting 10 XP) because it's a good reminder to check the board for team balance. I usually press TAB after every death to see if it's a mess. If it's locked to pre/post screens I couldn't help even the teams out during an imbalance. And I'd rather make the choice myself to switch rather than randomly respawning people.

One thing I don't like are those losers who refuse to even out the teams at the very beginning of a match when the numbers are really out of whack. Usually they're fagg0ts who want the XP for lopsidedly getting the first objective before switching...just so they get the objective. That's just fucking stupid.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-11-2008 12:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

But yeah...that last second win was cool.

It was the Volcano map and we just weren't getting it done on the second objective....it took us at least 10 minutes. Some of our dumber teammates (who were Aggressors) were content blasting enemy deployables instead of planting on the objective. But we caught a break and had about 2 or 3 minutes to fly drones in. It was frantic at the end as a few GDF came out to shoot our drone-flying coverts. We still had two rings to go and I remember hearing the 30 second warning when I killed an enemy harassing our vulnerable coverts stuck in mid-flight. I tossed my drone and flew like crazy to the objective. I'd just flown out of the shaft and headed up to the objective when I heard the timer going "five-four-three-two-one" but I was still about 4 metres away from the last two rings....too far to damage them. I thought we'd lost. Then "boom boom" and the thing exploded about 1/3 of a second before the time ran out. My teammates came through.

I was very happy that we didn't give up. I'd laugh to hear what the other team was screaming at each other over VoIP when it was over. :smirk:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-14-2008 02:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
MKJ wrote:

I disagree. I'll usually switch if the game asks (it's not about getting 10 XP) because it's a good reminder to check the board for team balance. I usually press TAB after every death to see if it's a mess. If it's locked to pre/post screens I couldn't help even the teams out during an imbalance. And I'd rather make the choice myself to switch rather than randomly respawning people.

One thing I don't like are those losers who refuse to even out the teams at the very beginning of a match when the numbers are really out of whack. Usually they're fagg0ts who want the XP for lopsidedly getting the first objective before switching...just so they get the objective. That's just fucking stupid.

if you can only switch before or after a match, teams wouldnt be unbalanced in the first place (via autobalance). unless 3 people quit ofcourse, but thats something that can never be helped I think :paranoid:

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-14-2008 12:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think there's alot of room for improvement in the autobalance system....but to really make it work (and to control the lamer gamers who only want the "Win") it has to be more fascist.

As I've said before, it's the gamers themselves that can make multiplayer gaming suck.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-14-2008 12:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh...and last night my team suffered a last-second loss. :mad:

I can't stand it when you hear "10 seconds remaining" and half your team relaxes because they think they have it in the bag.

It was on "Quarry" and I was defending from the non-stop rush of enemies trying to control the inside of the ship. In the last minute of the round I called out "I need backup" four times while I defended the objective by myself...all while running out of ammo and all while the energy cell was in movement (and no radar). Not a single fucking teammate came to help and we lost with like 4 seconds left to go on the clock.

This was before Obsidian connected. I have no doubt that if Obsidian was on my team he would have said,"Defend the fucking objective guys!". Good thing my microphone is busted cause I had some choice words for those fuckin no0bs who decided to go out hunting while they were supposed to defend.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-14-2008 12:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sometimes, I find it worth it just to join the inexperienced team and pull off a win. Just to give the lamers a "you got beat by noobs" beat-down.

Yes, I hate when people don't focus on the objective and are on the other side of the map doing jackall... and go buy yourself a new mic so you can mix and match profanities in creative ways.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | ET: Quake Wars Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.