Quake3World.com Forums
     ET: Quake Wars Discussion
        Keyboard bindings get reset during gameplay

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Keyboard bindings get reset during gameplay

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-18-2007 12:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This game is fun but it's pissing me off everytime I play it because it randomly resets my controls...usually in the middle of a fight. It seems to happen whenever I have Ctrl or Shift depressed (crouching or sprinting). When it happens it seems to "shift over" the keyboard binding (W for moving forward is now E, etc) for most controls but for some rucking feason the "lean right" and "move left" bindings are still working.

This stupid bug refuses to go away and won't work even I go back into the options menu and reset the key bindings. I have to quit the game to reset my config and when the game launches the key bindings are all back where they were. This was happening in the original point release and is still happening after applying the patch.

It's only happening with this game. Why the fuck is this bug occuring in a 5 year old game engine?

Is anyone else having this problem?

Fucking programmers. Every single one of them should be shot in the face by Dick Cheney.

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 10-18-2007 12:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nope, never even heard of that issue. do you have weird input drivers installed? You could try making your configs read only.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-18-2007 02:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No special drivers or anything like that.

I'll try your idea about setting the configs to read only. Thanks.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 10-18-2007 06:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you cant just re-execute your key config from the console?

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-18-2007 06:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:

I'm not that big of a nerd. What do I type in to do that?

I'm assuming that going into the options -> controls -> Set Default would do the same thing...but obviously not. >:(

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-18-2007 06:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Check to make sure you don't have multiple versions of your config file. If you were playing the demo or beta, double check to make sure that you deleted all older profile directories as well. It's the only way to be sure.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 10-18-2007 06:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
shaft wrote:

I'm assuming that going into the options -> controls -> Set Default would do the same thing...but obviously not. >:(

what? its the same as q3 i thought...create you custom config say GFY.cfg with all your key bindings. and then pull down the console and type "exec GFY.cfg"

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-18-2007 07:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks nerd. I'll try that.

If it doesn't work....I'll bomb your house into the ground, missy.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-23-2007 03:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fuckin piece of shit.

Sorry to say but none of the suggestions here helped. Something really fucked is going on because - after the bindings went to shit - I went to the options to manually remap my bindings....and when I pressed "F" for "USE"....it showed as if I was pressing "V".....and this is right within the Options GUI. Creating and executing my own config made no difference at all as the problem is within the game, not my keyboard, and the mapping stays fucked regardless.

It seems the whole thing is borked when the bindings fuck up...not just "in-game" but everywhere within the game system. The only way it fixes itself is to quit the game entirely.

FFS...the only way I can usually reproduce it is while crouching, then sprinting, then crouching again and leaning left. Then the whole thing goes bonkers. In case you ask...sure...sometimes I might be pressing Ctrl (Sprint) and Shift (Crouch) at the same time for an instant or two while changing modes, but this is no reason for my whole keyboard to go apeshit.

Again...this is only happening in this game. I have no special drivers for my Logitech keyboard and I never played/installed the demo so there's no discrepancy between config files.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-23-2007 04:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm curious...does Ctrl + Q do anything in Windows? Like "reset keyboard to Arabic mapping" or something?

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 10-23-2007 06:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dont think so. I dont think anything like that will work unless win_notaskkeys is set to 0.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 10-23-2007 10:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Fuckin piece of shit.

Sorry to say but none of the suggestions here helped. Something really fucked is going on because - after the bindings went to shit - I went to the options to manually remap my bindings....and when I pressed "F" for "USE"....it showed as if I was pressing "V".....and this is right within the Options GUI. Creating and executing my own config made no difference at all as the problem is within the game, not my keyboard, and the mapping stays fucked regardless.

It seems the whole thing is borked when the bindings fuck up...not just "in-game" but everywhere within the game system. The only way it fixes itself is to quit the game entirely.

FFS...the only way I can usually reproduce it is while crouching, then sprinting, then crouching again and leaning left. Then the whole thing goes bonkers. In case you ask...sure...sometimes I might be pressing Ctrl (Sprint) and Shift (Crouch) at the same time for an instant or two while changing modes, but this is no reason for my whole keyboard to go apeshit.

Again...this is only happening in this game. I have no special drivers for my Logitech keyboard and I never played/installed the demo so there's no discrepancy between config files.

have you tried a different keyboard?

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-24-2007 09:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

...or living in a different country?
change your cordless mouse/keyboard batteries

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-25-2007 07:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The different keyboard made no difference.

And I'm not tech-geek enough to buy a cordless keyboard and mouse as I see no point to them.

Fuck this game.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 10-25-2007 07:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-25-2007 07:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yay. I get to install yet another patch. And then another.

Fuck it. Orange box will take up my gaming time for the next while. Maybe when I'm done they'll have fixed this keyboard bug.

BTW...I noticed three things that are totally funny:

1) The bug can also be produced if I use air-control while parachuting (while pressing Ctrl)
2) The bug "fixes itself" if I mash the ctrl+A buttons for awhile
3) When the bug is in "mid-stream" mapping the "W"...instead of mapping to "E" like it used to, it now maps to ".".

What fucking keyboard in existence has the period key anywhere near W? :olo:

Great game but too buggy to play without the urge to smash my keyboard. I'll give this game 6 months to fix itself with more patches and come back to it later because I do really enjoy it.

Thanks for your help.

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 10-25-2007 08:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you should post it at the community site. sounds pretty unique, it wont be fixed if the devs don't know it exists.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-25-2007 07:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Never heard of anyone having this problem. Which Logitech keyboard are you using?

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-01-2007 08:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DooMer wrote:
you should post it at the community site. sounds pretty unique, it wont be fixed if the devs don't know it exists.

Done and done.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-01-2007 08:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Never heard of anyone having this problem. Which Logitech keyboard are you using?

The Media Elite.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 11-03-2007 06:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

stay up late and come play with us sometime gfy

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-12-2007 09:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:

Thanks for the offer but it won't be happening for at least a few months. I'm still trying to find an apartment in Sweden and I don't have internet at home in Copenhagen right now. (because I'm looking for a place in Sweden :dork: )

I'd love to join you fags and show off both my piloting skills and my ability to piss people off for constantly targeting medics. :smirk:

BTW...regarding this bug...I've posted it at the QuakeWars forum but from the files they had me create...it appears the Ctrl key is the basis of all my problems as I have a Danish version of Windows while running it in English. It seems this bug occured (just once) in another game last week (Evil Genius). Apparently it has everything to do with changing language modes so I doubt there's a fix for this. Ah well...I've just had to get used to the key mappings with no Ctrl included.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 11-13-2007 02:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sweden huh. stockholm?

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-13-2007 03:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Malmo. You're a swede....where be you at?

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 11-13-2007 07:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Close, I'm norwegian. ;)
I do live close the border tho. My current residence is Trondheim. But I used to live in Oslo.
Be sure to smuggle tons of booze from denmark before you leave :P

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-13-2007 08:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:

Thanks for the offer but it won't be happening for at least a few months. I'm still trying to find an apartment in Sweden and I don't have internet at home in Copenhagen right now. (because I'm looking for a place in Sweden :dork: )

I'd love to join you fags and show off both my piloting skills and my ability to piss people off for constantly targeting medics. :smirk:

BTW...regarding this bug...I've posted it at the QuakeWars forum but from the files they had me create...it appears the Ctrl key is the basis of all my problems as I have a Danish version of Windows while running it in English. It seems this bug occured (just once) in another game last week (Evil Genius). Apparently it has everything to do with changing language modes so I doubt there's a fix for this. Ah well...I've just had to get used to the key mappings with no Ctrl included.

then turn off multiple keyboard layouts in windows?
real men use US Standard.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 11-13-2007 03:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
shaft wrote:

How does that make you nerdy? All you are doing is execing a config. A five year old could exec a config. My cat could probably exec a config, which would explain a lot.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-15-2007 12:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LANKe wrote:
How does that make you nerdy? All you are doing is execing a config. A five year old could exec a config. My cat could probably exec a config, which would explain a lot.

It's simple: anytime a piece of software makes you do things that are outside of the normal GUI then they are requiring you to "become one of them"....a nerd who loves to bring down the console and type like a programmer.

I have no idea if your cat can exec its own config (and if it can you should be proud) but I tell you right now I'll rail that little furry nerd fucker the first chance I get on the battlefield.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 11-15-2007 12:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 11-16-2007 11:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I guess I'm a nerd then, because I use to do things in the console, and make configs all night until 8am, when the sun got too bright in my eyes.

PS. My cat could pwn the fuck out of you, and you know it.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 11-16-2007 12:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

calm down

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 11-16-2007 05:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ya, sorry about that. I have exactly been in a good mood lately.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | ET: Quake Wars Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.