Quake3World.com Forums
     ET: Quake Wars Discussion
        Online play affects FPS

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Online play affects FPS

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-26-2007 10:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

P4 3.0GHz
2GB RAM
nVidia 6800 Ultra

Not a new computer by any definition, but playing against the computer or on a LAN, I get pretty good FPS even on high settings and high resolution. I can average around 60 FPS (or 30 on the capped computer play).

However, sometimes when playing online, my FPS takes a dip (20 FPS and worst case down to 4) even though ping times are still relatively good (usually between 40-100), so it's not exactly lag either. It seems to occur on servers with more players and especially on certain maps like Outskirts (which runs fine offline, but not online). Those of you who play with me online may have noticed that I do jack shit whenever we play outskirts cuz that's typically when I hit 4 FPS.

I'm trying to play with everything at the lowest settings and from what I can tell, the game's video setting aren't the cause of the problem.

Any thoughts?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-26-2007 11:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I know what you're talking about. I have similar specs to yours and I get the same performance roughly. I turn everything to minimum though so that I can get the best performance. Graphics mean little to me in a multiplayer fps game. Outskirts should be playable for you if you do that at least.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | ET: Quake Wars Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.