Quake3World.com Forums
     ET: Quake Wars Discussion
        OK so what's the deal with this game

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: OK so what's the deal with this game

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 02-05-2008 12:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's been out for like 4-5 months now and nobody's talking about it. Just briefly skimming esreality, it doesn't look like it's getting much tournament attention at all. IGN gave it a pretty average score; reader average is even lower than that.

I downloaded the latest demo version and enjoyed it, but I don't know if it's worth blowing actual money on. So what's the deal with this? It seems deeper than TF2, which I really enjoy, but if there's only a quarter of the playerbase, why bother? Any comments?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-05-2008 01:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's quite a few of us here who play together on a frequent basis. It certainly is a lot "deeper" than TF2, maintaining that need for teamplay while keeping up the fast paced momentum associated with any of the typical Quake franchise games.

If you are familiar with and enjoyed playing Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, then you will find that ETQW is a worthy spiritual sequel and perhaps like it's predecessor, it is a bit more of a niche game for specific players who enjoy this kind of gameplay. It may not become as popular as some of the other team-based FPS's out there, but I have a feeling that it will have that lasting appeal where players will continue playing for many years to come (just like W:ET).

If you've enjoyed the demo, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't enjoy the full version.

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 02-06-2008 03:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's the best FPS out atm. You won't have any trouble finding a server, if that's what you're worried about.

TF2 is fun to hop in every once in awhile. I just hate how slow, and poorly designed it is; fucking stalemate after stalemate. It doesn't make any sense to why more people play it over etqw, other than system requirements.

FragaGeddon
FragaGeddon
PostPosted: 02-06-2008 03:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maybe I'll pick this game up today.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-06-2008 07:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

BTW, I should also mention that I haven't enjoyed a multiplayer FPS game as much as ETQW since Quake 3.

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 02-10-2008 10:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The competition mod is coming out soon. Beta this week. It's being created by SD, rather than the community.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | ET: Quake Wars Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.