Quake3World.com Forums
     ET: Quake Wars Discussion
        Game Time

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Game Time

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 03-30-2008 04:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey fags. I figure this thread could be used for scheduling on-line matches. If this thread has already been done the mods can nuke this thread but please link to the original thread.

Anyone up for some Sunday night gaming (March 30)?

Also...I've joined the Q3W clan and I can see everyone in my friend's list, but I have no idea how to properly search for you guys online or know if you guys are online within the game GUI. Anyone have any info for this no0b?

I've never used IRC so if anyone knows where I can go to download/install it and some basic usage (such as connecting to you fagg0ts...instead of typing tips) let me know.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-30-2008 06:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We typically schedule game times on IRC.

Get yourself a client like Chatzilla (for Firefox) or standalone program mIRC, and I think multiclient chat programs like Pidgin and Miranda also do IRC. You will want to join a server and a channel, in our case: irc.quakenet.org, #quake3world.

When one of us is online, a green icon pops up next to our name. If we're on a server, a Quake icon shows up instead. Right click on our name and a drop down menu comes up with different options to find or join the server that we're on or send a message.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 03-30-2008 07:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool. Thanks. :up:

Are you guys on IRC often or are you guys complete nerds and have it running 24/7 in the background like MSN?

*downloads mIRC*

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-31-2008 03:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yea you best log in on the q3w channel, nurd, so i can tell you to fuck off in real time.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 03-31-2008 01:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Cool. Thanks. :up:

Are you guys on IRC often or are you guys complete nerds and have it running 24/7 in the background like MSN?

*downloads mIRC*

yes

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-03-2008 01:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ggz obsidian

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-03-2008 07:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Owned... for some reason I was running at 8-15 fps (I kid you not) and I was still kicking ass. Where's the hard difficulty settings in this game?

And get yourself on IRC so we can schedule a Q3W clan match against some battlefield noobs.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-04-2008 01:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol

I liked that last-minute win we got. :up:

Or was it in the last 30 seconds? :D

guru
guru
PostPosted: 04-04-2008 06:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So what I'm getting from this thread is that if you don't play this game with an organized team, its not worth playing, right?

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-04-2008 06:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pretty much. At least online...you can forgive the bots in offline mode for their stupidity.

Have you played it yet?

It's not deathmatch. It's entirely objective-based and - for example - if you have someone who picks the covert class and doesn't know how to go about it your team will suffer. Medics also shouldn't care about shooting their weapon and getting into fights...only reviving teammates, killing Strogg spawnpoints and dropping equipment crates (and knowing where to drop them).

People have to know their roles (which is of course learned through experience). People will help you during the match over VoIP if newbies ask questions. Plus VoIP allows you to organize the attack/defense much better (just last night a guy requested that I change my anti-infantry deployable to an anti-vehicle and pleaded his case in one quick sentence....so I changed it). It definately is indeed a game that has a steep learning curve if you've never played Tribes or other class-based games. (I see BF2 as a map-rolling deathmatch game). Organization and tactical skill is much better suited in this game than accuracy with the rail gun.

I always recommend people go here and here to learn the basics of what's expected of them.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 04-04-2008 06:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

was going to get it tomorrow, but i'm a bit on the fence still.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-04-2008 06:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There are some videos you can download in the second link to learn the game and see the action first hand to help convince you.

Here's a training vid that should spell out nearly everything you need about the overall game idea. Here's an amateur training vid that can also give you more info and does a good job of giving examples of how to play the game.

It's definitely my favorite game this year because it's hella fun and highly addictive. :up:
The online-only stats recording also can be a minor motivator to try new classes and even keep playing the same class for certain achievements.
The objective changes and map rotation also ensure that you spend as much time on offense as you do on defense. That alone keeps you on your toes.

Within a 3-round match there are XP-earned upgrades for weapons (faster lock-on, grenade-launcher attachment) as well as faster hacking, planting/diffusing bombs, airstrike-targeting actions, etc. All you have to do to get these upgrades is the missions/duties within your class role (like fixing shit, calling in airstrikes, laying charges/proximity mines/deployable anti-whatever, etc). The upgrades get reset when the 3-round match is over and you get a new set of maps to keep the fun going. And everything is based on "USE" and "FIRE". So simple even the Pope would love it.

To help get you into the game there are "audio hints/tutorials" within the game (added with the latest patches and you can turn them off if you like) that explain the game to you as you play it.

Also...with the changing respawn areas moving as objectives are completed, you're never far from the action. :up:

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-06-2008 08:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ggz obsidian, shaft and doomer.

My fekin computer crashed mid-match on Refinery...and I couldn't join cause it was full. :olo:

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 04-07-2008 12:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

gg, you should get a mic.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/16
or
http://www.mirc.com/

/server irc.quakenet.org

/join #quake3world

click here if you need help. works in firefox.
http://www.quake3world.com/irc/irc.html

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-07-2008 05:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
gg, you should get a mic.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/16
or
http://www.mirc.com/

/server irc.quakenet.org

/join #quake3world

click here if you need help. works in firefox.
http://www.quake3world.com/irc/irc.html

I've got a mic....I thought I was actually yapping too much last night. Hmmmmmm. *rechecks audio inputs*

Thanks for the irc/firefox links. I installed mIRC and had no idea what I was doing and it kept disconnecting me from #quake3world. This firefox app seems much more suited to clueless no0bs like me. :up:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-07-2008 08:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

STOP TK'ING ME YOU NOOB! Can't believe you ran me over in the armadillo when I was trying to get in. :rolleyes:

Join our fireteam. We keep trying to add you to the fireteam, but you keep ignoring it.

I use Chatzilla. Install it, start Firefox and type in the address bar (I've added a bookmark for it so I don't have to type it), irc://irc.quakenet.org/#quake3world

Use change your name, use /nick gonnafistya

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-07-2008 09:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
STOP TK'ING ME YOU NOOB! Can't believe you ran me over in the armadillo when I was trying to get in. :rolleyes:

:olo:

I think I also ran you over with the quad bike as well. You were standing there and I was gonna go around you but you stepped right in front of me as I was passing you. It was on the Valley map, methinks. :owned:

obsidian wrote:
Join our fireteam. We keep trying to add you to the fireteam, but you keep ignoring it.

Actually I did join the fireteam but not until the second match as I didn't notice it until the end of the first match. Do I need to join it at the beginning of each match? I thought it would last a whole campaign. :shrug:

obsidian wrote:
I use Chatzilla. Install it, start Firefox and type in the address bar (I've added a bookmark for it so I don't have to type it), irc://irc.quakenet.org/#quake3world

Use change your name, use /nick gonnafistya

Will do. :up:

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 04-07-2008 04:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It lasts the entire campaign, but resets in the next.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-07-2008 08:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ggz everyone

Complete fucking ownage. :up:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-12-2008 07:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Net connection back in 4 days so i will be coming along to OWN you hard soon :)

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-12-2008 04:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nobody invited you.

Go away nerd.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-13-2008 01:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what time do you nerds play, anyways.
GMT that is

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 04-13-2008 02:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Way way in the morning for us mkj. At least that's the only time I've encountered them.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-13-2008 03:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:( nurdz

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-13-2008 07:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Usually somewhere between 9pm-1am Eastern. See the IRC channel for details.

Post your game alias and I'll add you to the clan (I'm the leader of the clan ;) ).

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 04-13-2008 08:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We want gmt times, not crazy american times.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-13-2008 08:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GMT -5

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 04-13-2008 10:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1 am to 4 am gmt +1 then. Just as I remembered.

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 04-14-2008 03:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No smelly euros allowed

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-19-2008 07:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You know how good we are...I understand why you want to play without us

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 04-20-2008 02:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

every team the admin switches me to wins. im a balance breaker.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-21-2008 10:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fuck u and your rocket launcher.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | ET: Quake Wars Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.