Quake3World.com Forums
     ET: Quake Wars Discussion
        Found the collectors edition new for $20

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Found the collectors edition new for $20

guru
guru
PostPosted: 04-05-2008 08:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Was going to buy the game anyhow even though I couldn't find it anywhere in town for under $39.99 and then happened to see the collectors edition at Wal Mart on one of those stands in the middle of an aisle...I WASN'T EVEN LOOKING FOR COMPUTER GAMES AT THE TIME CAN YOU BELIEVE THE COINCIDENCE? So I bought it.

I have some collector's cards here that came with it. Will those help me own at this game?

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-05-2008 10:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unless the collector's cards have an aim-bot...no. :smirk:

Get the updates after installing or you won't be able to play online. The 1.4 update is large so don't download them within the game or you'll be bored for a while.

Grab the update here. As I mentioned in the other thread, the learning tutorials are part of the update (not the retail version) and do indeed help newbies learn the game.

Important: As usual, your game will definitely benefit from some offline play against the bots to learn what's what. Spend a good 5 - 10 hours playing against the computer (and trying all classes) to learn your craft and the map layout before going online unless you like trial by fire. :)

guru
guru
PostPosted: 04-05-2008 11:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'll go trial by fire on some of the servers and be the guy everyone hates as i learn the system. usually in a game like this i pick a class and find a server and just try all sorts of shit with that class until i get the general idea - spend a lot of time following good players around too just watching what they do and providing basic support.

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 04-05-2008 01:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I may partake tonight. I challenge you to dethrone me as the guy everyone hates.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-05-2008 05:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Unless the collector's cards have an aim-bot...no. :smirk:

That's is why you fail. I have the collector's edition cards, therefore I own. :p

tnf wrote:
i'll go trial by fire on some of the servers and be the guy everyone hates as i learn the system.

Thataboy! Go get 'em! No one lives forever!

The neat thing about this game is that even if you're not the best at killing people, you can find other things to do that are just as valuable for your team, like being a medic and healing teammates, being an engineer and dropping deployables, etc.

A few beginner tips, if you're a covert-ops/infiltrator, for pete's sake, drop a radar. Otherwise, your team may TK you out of frustration. Also, when dropping deployables, you'll see green spots on the ground. Try to take up as little space as possible so other people can use them too. It shouldn't take you very long to learn all the other basics of the game, but it will take you forever to master them.

DooMer wrote:
I may partake tonight. I challenge you to dethrone me as the guy everyone hates.

I'll play too. GFY, tnf, find us on IRC. Q3W loves DooMer, other clans hate him because he pounds them into a pulp and makes them remember it.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 06-01-2008 10:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For UKers, HMV on Oxford Street are selling both the Collector's Edition and the standard for the same price of £7.99.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 06-07-2008 12:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For £7.99, yeah, I picked it up, even with the in-game advertising, although I've not seen any yet.
However, it hasn't gripped me as much as TF2.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-07-2008 07:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Reverse is true for me. I got bored of TF2 in about a week, just seems limited in gameplay possibilities. It's good for a quick frag, but that's about it. Give ETQW some more time and it'll grow on you, since there are a lot of tactics which aren't exactly obvious until you actually become pretty proficient in the game. Come back and talk to me when you kill a noob sniper with a supply crate for the first time.

I don't even recall seeing in-game ads in well over a month. You really don't notice them and when you do, half the time they're just the filler "Join the GDF" posters. Generally, I really dislike ad placements, but I think ETQW did a good job of hiding them in places I don't look at anyway.

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 06-07-2008 08:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It took me awhile to get into this game as well. With the 1.5 bot improvements, the offline experience is actually a fun practice tool to get a grip on the basics, learn the maps, etc. This is now by far my favorite contemporary FPS. Plus, the strogg voice taunts still make me laugh like a retard.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 07-12-2008 03:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well I finally sat down and went through the tutorials (played each gametype as GDF, haven't tried Strogg yet). It's a lot more fun just playing bots than any predominantly online game I've played before.

Is voice communication via headsets an absolute necessity for good team strategy or can you get by without it?

Linux Version
Linux Version
PostPosted: 07-12-2008 03:56 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
Well I finally sat down and went through the tutorials (played each gametype as GDF, haven't tried Strogg yet). It's a lot more fun just playing bots than any predominantly online game I've played before.

Is voice communication via headsets an absolute necessity for good team strategy or can you get by without it?

you can always hear it regardless of your hardware, so as long as you pay attention to whatever The Dude In Charge This Round is saying (if there is one...), it should be all good. sooner or later, you're going to get the urge to yell at people though.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-12-2008 06:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What's your in-game name? Let me know and I'll add you to the clan.

You don't need a headset to set up any strategies, most people know what to do anyway and killing people just feels like a free for all like in Quake 3. But it does help when you've spotted and want to call out incoming artillery, heavy vehicles or waves of infantry that are breaking through the lines so your team can focus on a counterattack. And of course, for yelling at noobs, idiots and trash-talking.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 07-12-2008 07:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SlappyVandelay is my name.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-12-2008 08:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How did you come up with that name? Anyway, you've been added. Join the IRC channel sometime to team up for a game.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 07-12-2008 08:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Seinfeld. Slappy White was one of Jerry's fake names, Art Vandelay was the one George always used.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 07-14-2008 01:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sure you dont mean Kal Varnsen ?

guru
guru
PostPosted: 07-14-2008 12:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That was Jerry's name when he answered the phone for Vandelay industries in his apartment when George was 'looking' for a job and gave the unemployment lady Jerry's phone number right? The one where George ends up face down on the floor in his underwear with Jerry saying "and you want to be my latex salesman?"

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 07-15-2008 04:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nope thats the name he uses when he, george and kramer (as pennypacker) pose as rich businessmen, feigning interest in an appartment so they can use the bathroom and watch the game on tv.
it was in The Parade.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-15-2008 07:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SHUT UP you Seinfeld nerds! Less Jerry, more fragging! :p

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 07-15-2008 07:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks a lot you two, I actually ended up having a Seinfeld-related dream and I don't even like the damn show >:(

It was funny though.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 07-15-2008 07:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
nope thats the name he uses when he, george and kramer (as pennypacker) pose as rich businessmen, feigning interest in an appartment so they can use the bathroom and watch the game on tv.
it was in The Parade.

He uses the name in both cases. They don't show the Puerto Rican Day Parade episode here anymore.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 07-15-2008 07:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ah yes, you are correct.
*snickers*

guru
guru
PostPosted: 07-15-2008 07:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What other episode does Kramer use the Pennypacker name in?

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 07-15-2008 07:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Millennium

Cinco de Mayo \o/

guru
guru
PostPosted: 07-15-2008 07:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Without any desiccants those clothes will be noticeably musty in a couple of years

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | ET: Quake Wars Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.