Quake3World.com Forums
     ET: Quake Wars Discussion
        Rig: Acquired

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Rig: Acquired

Linux Version
Linux Version
PostPosted: 07-04-2008 02:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just got back from spending about $1100 on a new rig.

BFG NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 OC 896MB PCIe 2.0
Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo @ 3.0Ghz (45nm)
Asus P5E-VM HDMI Socket 775 Intel G35
2GB DDR2 Dual Channel @800
600W Gaming PSU
320GB Seagate SATA II

It's in an ancient case, and I still have to use my boat anchor as a monitor, but it'll do for now. I also failed to acquire a Windows license, so I'm going to give xubuntu a shot and hope the drivers work.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-04-2008 02:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Now all you need is a decent game to play on it eh?

*looks around*

Best try another forum!

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 07-04-2008 03:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Therac-25 wrote:
It's in an ancient case, and I still have to use my boat anchor as a monitor, but it'll do for now. I also failed to acquire a Windows license, so I'm going to give xubuntu a shot and hope the drivers work.

Regarding the monitor...there are shitloads of $200 - $300 LCDs out there with good quality. Sell a few bags of weed or pop your anal cherry on a street corner for a few nights and you'll have a new widescreen LCD in no time.

Regarding the Windows license...I take it you had an OEM disk with the previous computer? You can usually swap out RAM, vid cards or other shit with the same license but once you swap the mobo it'll need a fresh Windows key. I found out the hard way just a few weeks ago when I got my new mobo and had to spend $450 on XP Pro (full version). You can probably get an XP OEM disk for $150 - $200 from someone willing to sell it to you.

And ignore o'dium....his mother never loved him and his dad still rapes him to this day.

Linux Version
Linux Version
PostPosted: 07-04-2008 03:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
Regarding the Windows license...I take it you had an OEM disk with the previous computer? You can usually swap out RAM, vid cards or other shit with the same license but once you swap the mobo it'll need a fresh Windows key. I found out the hard way just a few weeks ago when I got my new mobo and had to spend $450 on XP Pro (full version). You can probably get an XP OEM disk for $150 - $200 from someone willing to sell it to you.

Well, my previous system came with an install CD for Tiger, so transferring the license may be a bit tricky. The last authorized version of Windows I had was 2000, I think, and I'm not sure I can even find the license key.

I'll take care of that and the LCD later on, I just wanted to get things up and running first. It does appear to have powered on without frying, so this decade old Antec case might get the job done cooling-wise for now.

Trivia: my boat anchor monitor has a scratch in it where I stabbed it with a pen. I think it was UT2K4. Ahh, memories.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-04-2008 07:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I sent you an invite to the Q3W clan, make sure you accept it. We eat noobs for breakfast like the Makron eats Strogg who fail their mission.

Linux Version
Linux Version
PostPosted: 07-07-2008 06:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
I sent you an invite to the Q3W clan, make sure you accept it. We eat noobs for breakfast like the Makron eats Strogg who fail their mission.

So when do people normally play around here? I've been playing when I can on the weekend, and I think GFY was the only other person online ever.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-07-2008 07:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We play normally, I was busy all weekend, but I'll hop on later tonight. Check the IRC channel.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | ET: Quake Wars Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.