Quake3World.com Forums
     ET: Quake Wars Discussion
        Strogg trip mines on Slipgate

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Strogg trip mines on Slipgate

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 08-26-2008 06:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Rather specific question, but:

I like to play as Strogg constructor on Slipgate, and thought I was being clever by planting trip mines above the jumppads in the Nexus Tower Core.
However, I think I saw GDFs just jumping through, without setting them off.

Can someone confirm/deny that planting trip mines above those jumppads is indeed useless?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-26-2008 07:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You are arming those mines, aren't you? :p

People can use the momentum of the JPs to skip past a triggered mine taking little damage. If your mines aren't even going off, you may be placing it too far near the edge and they are jumping right over them. You can also try setting trip mines.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 08-26-2008 07:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, trip mines, and I *am* arming them.
I thought it might be some fluke of the game, but probably I just planted them too low, and the jumppad path carried them over.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-26-2008 08:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For some reason, I skipped the word "trip" in your original post. I've been killed many a time when I didn't bother to look up, so I know that they do work.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 08-26-2008 08:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool, then I'll keep placing trip mines there.
Although, judging from my modest online experience, things usually don't get that far on Slipgate.
If Strogg players keep their minds together, they can prevent GDF from even hacking the slipgate.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-26-2008 10:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually I place proximity mines right at the top of the jump pad near the edge (where you land). I find people activate them when they first jump up and - with no where to go - end up landing right into the blast.

Speaking of trip mines...I've noticed in the stats that there's a section for "mines disarmed". Is it possible to get close to an enemy's trip mine and disarm it? I've gotten close to them (from behind...not in the "beam") and attempted to disarm them but they exploded in my face when I got too close.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-26-2008 12:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can only disarm trip mines, but not prox mines. Disarm them from the side (perpendicular to the laser beam).

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | ET: Quake Wars Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.