Quake3World.com Forums
     ET: Quake Wars Discussion
        connection to online services lost

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: connection to online services lost

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 11-29-2008 07:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

has anyone else had trouble with this? can join/play a game but 10 to 60mins in, i'll be disconnected with "connection to online services lost".

google and the etqw forums suggest that it might be to do with the demonware torrent-style advertising traffic, so i changed my router settings accordingly with no joy. mailed demonware to see if they could say anything about virgin as an isp and they very nicely told me that they weren't aware of any problems (but i guess they would say that :) ). mailed virgin as well (because i felt like wasting 15 minutes) and haven't heard anything back.

am i missing something screamingly obvious, like failing to uncheck the "disconnect whilst defusing the bomb in the last few seconds of a round when the whole team's relying on you" box?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-29-2008 11:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That error message doesn't tell a whole lot other than the game couldn't connect to the Internet.

Check your Internet connections and firewalls, etc. Update Punkbuster. Otherwise, try checking in your condump to see if you have any error messages that might give a bit more info on exactly what's going on.

PostPosted: 11-29-2008 02:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the relevant line from the log is:
Quote:
SDNet::RefreshHotServers : failed (0)

still looking for problems at my end, i went as far as plugging a clean machine straight into the modem and got the same result. there's a workaround on the etqw site that uses tor/sockscap - but i can't justify spending any more time/effort to get a game working.

something useful that dumping the logs did make me pick up on is that it happens at around 40mins into each hour - which explains why i've been playing for a maximum of an hour and makes me think it could well be an isp thing :(

PostPosted: 03-26-2009 04:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the last patch changed the advertising provider (or it got bought out, whatever) and now the traffic's encrypted/in a format my ISP is happy with. finally i can play :)

are there any recommended uk/euro servers?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-26-2009 06:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hook up with Plan B. He's over on your side and I see him playing quite often. We've played together as well, but one of us always has a pretty poor ping (though still very playable).

I find it interesting playing on European servers, some people will be talking over VOIP in English, French, German and who knows what. Very diverse. Over here, we get the odd Quebecois speaking in English with an accent or some American with a very Southern drawl.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-26-2009 07:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

actually, on euro servers, germans speak german, french speak french, and the rest of them have the fucking courtesy to speak english >:E

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | ET: Quake Wars Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.