Quake3World.com Forums
     ET: Quake Wars Discussion
        XP miners...Why do they exist?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: XP miners...Why do they exist?

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 02-02-2009 11:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've seen more and more players doing shit specifically for the XP and it seems they are entirely uninterested in focusing on objectives or even attempting to win a match. I won't even touch on how players TK one another to prevent them from completing a mission they've selected.

I've seen Engineers/Constructors grenade every "friendly" turret or vehicle they find just to repair it to get the XP. In this case it doesn't matter because they're idiots: they don't seem to realize they don't get XP for repairing damaged turrets/vehicles unless those vehicles suffered damage from the enemy. It's retarded, fruitless and slows everybody down. Most times after repairing their bullshit they'll get into the fight so it's not that huge of a deal in the grand scope of winning the match....I guess.

But yesterday I saw something utterly, utterly retarded.

It was the Canyon map and I joined the GDF team, who were shorthanded with the match already 12 minutes old...and they hadn't even built the first section of the bridge. I chose the Covert class because the team didn't have one (or a radar) and nobody was flying the Anansi. GDF had 4 engineers (each actually trying to build the bridge) and 2 medics. The medics had the highest XP so - at that moment - I had guessed that they were good. I hopped in the Anansi, put up a radar and proceeded to bomb the living shit out of enemies and disabling every turret they deployed. After pissing off the entire Strogg team for about 45 seconds I was quickly targeted and blown out of the sky. Whatever...I gave my teammates a few seconds to build. The whole time I was flying I could hear the engineers near the objective calling for a medic...over and over again. Remember...I've only been on this server for about 1 minute and didn't really know what was going on.

As what sometimes happens when I die in an explosion I was in the middle of pressing fire, so that means I spectate someone on my team until I respawn. What I saw was a medic shooting at another medic...crouched near a supply crate. I pressed fire and saw through the view of the other medic...who was crouched near another supply crate and shooting the other medic. Both were way back by the original spawn point, up on a hill behind it. They were doing nothing but crouching there next to their crates, shooting each other and getting XP for supply crates used...and ignoring their teammate's calls for help. Again...these were the first two players you spectated through when pressing fire after death....so the whole team knew what was going on. And it now made sense to me why the whole team bitched for medics over and over again.

So after respawning, I hopped in the Anansi and turned to face them. As I did that, one of them actually said over VoIP,"Oh oh...someone saw us."

I smiled as I blew the shit out of both of them and destroyed their crates. They both - of course - filed complaints against me. As I hovered above their shattered corpses I typed in "XP whores should play on their own server so that real players can join this one". They both immediately began chirping on VoIP that I was an asshole.

I mean...they both know why I killed them. And I think perhaps they expected me to.

I simply typed "lol" as they respawned and opened fire on me. So I blew them both back to hell again and returned to the main battle. After I was killed again I spectated them both once more and they were back to XP mining their crates and ignoring the many "I need a medic" calls from their teammates. I respawned, killed both medics again and their precious, precious crates and flew off back to the battle. I did this at least 4 times, each time with them shooting at me as I parachuted in during respawn. I hoped in the Anansi under fire and as I was about to kill them again one of the medics made me literally lol when he said over VoIP,"So what? You're here to team kill us cause we're not helping? You're here to judge us?"

lol

"Judge us?" That's the same shit-copout people always say when caught in a shameful act that they KNOW is shameful. You'll hear ped0s like gramps and semencan say that all the time in court and on TV.

Anyway, I typed in,"No...no judgment. If you have fun by being useless XP whores, then I have fun killing you."

Knowing that 16 minutes had already passed on the clock, that we had no chance to win and that the two XP whores were preventing better players from connecting to the server - and no doubt they'd continue for the next two maps of the campaign - I saw it as a lost cause and disconnected. I joined a different server and enjoyed the rest of the afternoon playing with better players.

I don't understand why someone would spend $60 on a game to simply stand there and shoot their friend for hours on end, losing every match they ever play just watch a number counter go up. Such fagg0try. And from what I understand it is rampant across the internets and in most XP-based games. Is there something - anything - that developers can do that removes the motivation for these fools?

Last edited by GONNAFISTYA on 02-02-2009 12:54 PM, edited 1 time in total.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-02-2009 12:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Seeing as how you didn't stand a chance to win, I would have made their lives a living hell by continuing to harass them with the Anansi/Titan/whatever until they give up and disconnect. No room in a public ranked game for this kind of shit.

I got all my medic achievements by killing enemies, reviving teammates, dropping crates and health packs. And it was a hell of a lot more fun doing it that way than sitting around in the field popping caps at each other while sitting on a crate.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 02-02-2009 01:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Seeing as how you didn't stand a chance to win, I would have made their lives a living hell by continuing to harass them with the Anansi/Titan/whatever until they give up and disconnect. No room in a public ranked game for this kind of shit.

I seriously considered that for a few moments...to give up on doing anything except simply kill them over and over and over and blow away their crate deployments (explosions on the green smoke stop crates from deploying)...but I realized I like this game and want to play it the way it deserves.

It was bad enough that each time I was in the main battle I was down to 50% health on the Anansi from the get go cause Dumb and Dumber were firing at it before I could kill them and move on to the fight.

Same here on the medic achievements...I got them the old fashioned way.

And TBH...the medic is the easiest class to complete all achievements for, so why people waste time XP mining is retarded. I still haven't achieved my vehicle wreath..because disabling turrets is quicker, deadlier and allows you to do more damage to their overall defence/attack by attacking more deployables per life....instead of outright destroying one or two.

Like I said, XP in gaming is fun and so is tracking your progress. There's no reason I'd want to get rid of it, but XP whores make me question the validity of XP and progress tracking as a general concept of real progress. It's simply too easy to exploit and because it motivates people in different ways, it takes away from the soul of the game.

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 02-02-2009 02:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what server was that on?

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 02-02-2009 02:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't remember. I also don't remember their nicks or clan tags.

I don't hold any grudges, so I don't remember who I've TKd on principle. I normally don't care and if I see them on a different server I'll probably not remember them or have a motivation to TK them.

Regardless of who plays this game, I'll TK them if they give me reason to.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-02-2009 02:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Regardless of who plays this game, I'll TK them if they give me reason to.

Oh... what reason was that? :mad: (j/k)

I've found certain local servers to be completely unplayable with the unbalanced teams, other servers are great. I've been playing on the Special Forces (SF) clan server a lot recently since they seem to be an overall agreeable bunch.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 02-02-2009 03:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually, I've not had any TKs since I focused on the Covert class. Since 90% of my TKs are from kamakazee Anansi bombing runs, artillery rounds that teammates run under, mines I've laid or bad grenade throws - and I fucking own as Covert - I haven't had a TK in weeks. :p

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 02-02-2009 03:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

good read :up:

have missed out on etqw (see the thread in this forum :( ) but i recognise the characters. the same sort of people drove me nuts in bf2. what do they get out of games? are we missing a potentially lucrative market for a bit of software that just increments a number every time you push a button?

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 02-03-2009 02:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There is already a somewhat lucrative market as those are "management" genre games. I've also noticed it in Sim-city type games: the player focuses on improving a specific aspect (like "religion happiness") and puts so much effort into monitoring and improving that one stat.

Literally watching a number go up and down.

There's a very good reason I don't play those games. I enjoy shooting you in the face instead of monitoring my kill count.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 02-03-2009 03:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The most laughable thing about these XP miners is that I don't understand how any of them can feel any sort of pride or sense of accomplishment in the way they achieve their stats. Are they satisfied when the achievement is completed or the desired XP level is reached? Is it to show off? Do they brag to their friends about it? They can't possibly be impressing themselves...since they know they cheated. Another funny thing about these idiots is that they ALWAYS get angry and abusive when they get caught...like it's our fault to expect fair play.

But then again, players who use aim-bots and wall-hacks somehow enjoy winning. They probably play every game with cheats...because they couldn't hit the ocean with a rocket launcher and it's probably the ONLY way they can appear to be competent or competitive.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 02-04-2009 07:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hehe, I complained in here about similar behaviour, but what you describe takes it to a whole new level.
Medics sitting on crates and shooting eachother, ffs, how do you come up with that shit.
I can kind of understand how players would use exploits to do well in a game, but not just for xp harvesting. Seems so unrewarding.

Guess I'm pretty much the opposite; I have an atrociously low xp count for time played, and an even worse kill/death-ratio.
But I don't really give a shit. I mainly play engineer/constructor because that's what I enjoy doing and I feel it benefits my team the best.

I must say that generally players on the servers I frequent are on the up and up and don't demean themselves to such cunty shenanigans.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | ET: Quake Wars Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.