Quake3World.com Forums
     ET: Quake Wars Discussion
        Smoking or non-smoking?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Smoking or non-smoking?

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 02-13-2009 02:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been playing the Covert class alot recently and I'm having a blast. Fucking up the enemy's shit while being invisible and silent is an entirely new game with the tools you have available.

One thing I've been playing with is the way of using the smoke screen. If the objective calls for planting a bomb, hacking, building or repairing something (including the MCP) I'll generally throw a smoke grenade near it to obscure my teammates while they complete the objective. I've found that this works wonders and gives players the seconds they need to get the job done.

However I'm wondering about it from a defensive perspective. Many times I've thrown a smoke grenade on a planted bomb to give my team's engineers "cover" to disarm the explosives. For the most part it has been useful as ambushing cunts with hyperblasters can't see the engineer approach the bomb.

But some people have complained over VoIP when I do it. Not a lot, but a few. Ok...twice. They say they can't see the bomb to disarm it.

Fair enough. But usually, when I'm playing engineer/constructor I find the bomb by looking for the graphic, looking for the flashing light and listening for the beep. It's a nice little system that allows me to find and disarm a bomb fairly quickly and it doesn't matter - at least to me - how much smoke is around the objective. I'm not looking at the objective...I'm focusing on a small part of it that isn't obscured by smoke.

Any thoughts on this? Does it help? Am I hurting the team? Does it make it harder to disarm? Do you prefer a smoke screen? Do you prefer menthol?

And I have to say that playing on servers that have red arrows pretty much negates the smoke screen...which is why I don't like playing on those servers. I've said it once I'll say it again: ever since GRAW I've come to believe that giving away enemy positions with on-screen indicators is a cheat...even if it's part of the official GUI.

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 02-13-2009 03:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

On offense, I love me some smoke grenades. On defense, like the example you gave, I'd say generally no. I mean I'm sure it can work as an advantage in some cases (like when the attacking team is all dead or respawning and you chuck it far enough away from the bomb so it can still distract long range shooters), but most times, the plant I'm trying to disarm is usually a hotspot of activity...and if I'm sprinting from some distance away (and I didn't see the plant initially), and the bomb is even 1/3 to 1/2 ready to detonate, smoke is just another thing that obscures my quickly locating/disarming the bomb. When time is in short supply and/or the plant is in a tricky spot, the smoke would be a pain in the ass...especially (as is usually the case) if my teammates are morons who refuse to communicate.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-13-2009 09:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think if you're playing with smart players they would see what you are trying to do and be able to locate the explosives regardless... but many players on the pubs aren't exactly smart, many of them can't see the explosives when it's sitting right in front of them. So in general, I'd say no, don't toss the smokes unless you know for sure the engineer is smart enough to know where it's planted.

BTW... awesome new sig... and also... new computer parts are on the way so I can say goodbye to this 20fps madness that I've been playing on ever since.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 02-18-2009 03:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I fucking hate being backstabbed by a covert op. I feel so...violated and stupid.

Same as getting teamkill-revived by a medic when low on health.
I know it makes sense, but it just feels wrong.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-16-2009 11:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:
I fucking hate being backstabbed by a covert op. I feel so...violated and stupid.

lol...I missed this post and it reminded me of a back stab I did on Quarry while defending the first objective:

A prone, Strogg sniper on the left forward hill was killing our team like crazy. He was a machine...headshot after headshot. So some guy on our team with a "fuukin New Youghk" accent called for his head. He sounded like he was from Brooklyn.

So I ran around the backside along the road and came down the hill behind the enemy sniper. I switched to my silenced pistol as I crept up and - at that moment - had fully intended on literally sitting on the prone cunt's back and pumping a few quiet rounds directly into his head.

But I was about 10 metres away from my kill when the "fuukin New Youghk" guy got back on VoIP and changed all my plans. :)

As I crept up the guy said,"Yeah...you on the hill...kill that fuuckin asshole! Stick your knife right up his ass!"

So...about one metre away from the enemy I switched to my knife (hopping on his back and crouching) and stuck that fucker good. And I think I pissed him off because he never went back onto that hill. :olo:

---------------------

As to medic revives...for the first 1/4 second I'm pissed off seeing the red text that indicates you were team-killed but the camera then instantly focuses on the medic so you know what he's up to very quickly.

I even go a step further and thank them for the revive to let them know I appreciate what they're doing. The reason I do that is because some people bitch at me for tk-reviving them as they probably didn't notice how low on heath they were and I had to explain to them why I did it.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-10-2011 04:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Smoking is really a big No No! In order to keep you on track with your smoking habits, try this [url=http://[LOL RACISM]/]indoor outdoor thermometer digital[/url].

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 11-11-2011 10:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-23-2011 07:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Indeed....kept for prosperity rather than it's usefulness

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | ET: Quake Wars Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.