Quake3World.com Forums
     ET: Quake Wars Discussion
        Baserape much?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Baserape much?

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 02-24-2009 07:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I know it's not really the gentlemanly thing to do, but especially when flying an anansi or tormentor, it's just so damn tempting to stifle enemy opposition at its root; their base.
I generally don't do this, because it just feels wrong, and many servers have a kick-policy against it (although, in my experience, this is rarely upheld).
But seeing it's not really a cheat, I'm just curious what you guys think about it.

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 02-24-2009 07:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's a counter for every tactic in this game...spawn/base rape is no exception. It should be allowed. However, a sense of decency (laff) should also prevail if it's a stacked team vs a bunch of noodles. At least let them out the front a bit before pounding them into puppy chow.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 02-24-2009 08:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, but it's the arbitrary-ness (better word?) I dislike;
At what point is it fair to take the opposition out emerging from their base?

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 02-24-2009 08:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As a general matter, it's always 'fair'...it is simply part of the game, the way it was designed. However, I'd like to think that we can go beyond that and ask what is the decent thing to do....in this case, shuffling teams so that the spawn rape can be defended against would be the decent thing to do. The stacked vs noob stuff is really the more important bit to address anyway. So scratch what I said about letting them out of the base before killing them....just get the teams sorted.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 02-24-2009 08:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OK, I want to play 'fair'.

Thing is, I just, 1 minute ago, got kicked from a server.
I was playing strogg on valley, the mcp was in place, and with the tormentor I was owning vehicles trying to cross the bridge, from their 'new base'.
Somehow, the server admin deemed this 'unfair' and decided to kick me.

This I just can't understand.
Have the balls and skills to take me out, but don't kick me for taking advantage of something that is inherent to the game :/

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 02-24-2009 08:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I agree...there are a lot of faggy server admins out there. That doesn't even qualify as spawn camping.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 03-14-2009 10:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been kicked for baseraping. I've also been kicked into spectator for it...even on capturable spawns. After that I've made a point of reading the MOTD while connecting to see if it's allowed or mentioned.

If the server explicitly says "no non-capturable spawn camping" I'll generally avoid it in terms of killing enemies. I'll ignore them and let them run out unless they shoot at me - sometimes I'll let them shoot at me. But I'll ALWAYS attack turrets deployed in the enemy base. I don't give a fuck...they're fair game....especially if I entered the enemy base in disguise.

In the overall sense I agree that baseraping is a viable attack to ensure victory and there are counter-attacks to baserapes if the team rallys and works together....so I have no issues with it. I tend to think of it as a learning experience. :p

The only real counter argument I can give to that is that not-allowing baserapes or easing off a baserape is to help prevent rage-quit and keep the teams relatively even. If I'm on a baseraping team and it's gone on for a while I'll usually suggest falling back. And since most players in this game aren't idiots they'll lighten up a bit (or even giving the enemy the first objective for free) to keep the teams going into the next round. Only fagg0ts disconnect in the first match...you can still win the campaign....so perhaps that's what server admins are trying to accomplish. Dunno really.

But yeah...baseraping is why the designers put anti-artillery and defense guns in the non-capturable bases and it's also the reason Splash Damage removed enemy vehicles taking damage before they were used by an enemy player.

Regarding team shuffles with stacked teams, I think reshuffling randomly or by XP doesn't really get to the heart of the matter. I think the system should reshuffle based on rank. I've seen too many teams full of generals boot-fuck a team of recruits.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | ET: Quake Wars Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.