Quake3World.com Forums
     ET: Quake Wars Discussion
        Demo playback problems

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Demo playback problems

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 07-02-2009 10:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A friend of mine just got the game so I decided to make a demo for him showing how I defend as GDF in the Area 22 map utilizing the Anansi and air strikes. It's just me fucking around with normal bots with a wonky laser mouse...so it's not hugely intense combat.

I've noticed on my machine that the demo doesn't exactly play back normally. Weapons explode as soon as their fired instead of on impact, airstrikes don't match animations to explosions and the bombing jet fighter sorta stutters across the scene (on my friend's machine you don't even see the jet). I was wondering if anyone else noticed these things as my friend might not understand what's happening in some instances.

Here's a download link to the 5 MB demo file: http://www.4shared.com/file/115683664/f ... d_ops.html

Just unzip and drop the .ndm file into your C:\Documents and Settings\USER\My Documents\id Software\Enemy Territory - QUAKE Wars\base\demos folder.

I was also wondering about controls for replays/demos. I've read up on some configs and implemented the commands into my autoexec config...but the demos don't speed up or slow down from my inputs. Here's my autoexec with the demo-related config:

seta writeDemoScaleInfo "addchatline $demo_scale"
seta g_bind_context_demoplayback "demo"
bind "KP_RIGHTARROW" "cvaradd demo_scale 0.1" "" "demo"
bind "KP_LEFTARROW" "cvaradd demo_scale -0.1" "" "demo"
bind "KP_UPARROW" "cvaradd demo_scale 1.0" "" "demo"
bind "KP_DOWNARROW" "cvaradd demo_scale -1.0" "" "demo"
bind "KP_5" "pausenetdemo" "" "demo"
bind "KP_5" "demo_scale 1.0" "CTRL" "demo"

Is there something missing I should add? My autoexec does work as I've tested it with "show FPS" off and on. I have some longer demos I'd like to show him and I'd like to speed up the demos to get to the cool parts quicker. Also...are there any commands I could add to improve demo playback that fixes my problems?

Any info would be helpful.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-03-2009 07:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I tried playing the demo and yes, it's full of weird stuff as you described.

I did a demo myself (I suck since I haven't played in over a month) and playback doesn't seem to have the same problems. Download it and see if it runs okay on your system.
http://www.robotrenegade.com/temp/i_am_a_noob.zip

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 07-03-2009 09:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I noticed in your demo that the weapons are also exploding as soon as they're fired (the Cyclops has "explosions all around it" when it shoots). I guess somehow demo playback (and perhaps recording) gets fucked up my machine (and my friend's).

We're both using ATI vid cards...so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-03-2009 10:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wouldn't think the card would cause that (though I'm using an nVidia). I ran your demo and I get weird explosions. I recorded my own and played it back and it looks fine.

Tell your friend to download my demo and see if it runs okay.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 07-04-2009 07:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

FWIW, when I play back GKY's demo, projectiles indeed immediately *visually* explode on launch, while they visually fire correctly and connect with targets in obsidian's demo.
So there's some empirical evidence that something's fucked up on your side, GKY.
You *do* run etqw with the latest patch, right? Because I read something about objects showing up incorrectly in demos pre-1.5 patch.

Don't know why your binds don't work.
First guess would be that you edit and save your autoexec.cfg into your *base* folder, instead of your *sdnet/GKY/base* folder, in which case binds won't work.

Also, are you sure that "demo" is a valid context parameter value?
It obviously makes sense, but I looked at some demo making configs, and they all used "default" as the context value.
However, when using "default", you'd have to be careful to assign unmapped keys, of course, which is a right pain in the balls.

So you might want to consider making a demo.cfg in sdnet/GKY/base, using the "default" context values, and exec that from console, when doing demo stuff.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 07-04-2009 12:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well...obsidian's demo doesn't play correctly on my friend's computer as well. I've also noticed (on both our machines) that the game timers - in my demo - are all out of whack (respawn timers are wrong...even the game clock is wrong). The ONLY similarities between our two machines is that we both are using ATI cards and we both used the 1.0 - 1.5 update executable (according to the in-game messages we're both up to date). Oh well...I guess that's just the way it is on our machines.

Regarding the demo cfg...I'm using the correct location (the cfg itself does work) and I found out just after posting that it was supposed to be "default"...dunno why that guy told me to use "demo"...so it all works now.

BTW...obsidian....nice finish with the lower machine gun in that dogfight. I hope you learned that trick from me. :)

I have to say recording that demo was the first time I flew in over a month...flying just never gets old.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | ET: Quake Wars Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.